It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Guards and Nurse Charged In Death Of Boy at Juvenile Boot Camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Seven former guards and a nurse at a military style boot camp have been charged with aggravated manslaughter in the death of a teenage boy. The rough handling of the boy by the guards was video taped. If convicted the guards and nurse who watched, could face up to 30 years in prison.

www.cnn.com
The announcement by Hillsborough County State Attorney Mark Ober comes almost 11 months after Martin Lee Anderson, 14, collapsed in the exercise yard at the Bay County sheriff's camp in Panama City.

Guards said he was uncooperative and refused to continue participating in exercises. He died early January 6 in Pensacola.

An initial autopsy by medical examiner Dr. Charles Siebert found Anderson died of complications of sickle cell trait, a usually benign blood disorder.

guards' hands blocked the boy's mouth, and the "forced inhalation of ammonia fumes" caused his vocal cords to spasm, blocking his upper airway.

The guards had said in an incident report that they used ammonia capsules five times on Anderson to gain his cooperation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What a shame. A shame that a teenager has lost his life and now others will have to answer for it. Very unfortunate situation.

Lets remember, this was an incident, not all prison guards are "evil" as I'm sure some here will lable these.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   

An initial autopsy by medical examiner Dr. Charles Siebert found Anderson died of complications of sickle cell trait, a usually benign blood disorder.

This is pure bull.

Sickle cell disease is common in blacks, and is associated with early death in 50% of victims.

From PubMed, 1994:

Mortality in sickle cell disease. Life expectancy and risk factors for early death.

Among children and adults with sickle cell anemia (homozygous for sickle hemoglobin), the median age at death was 42 years for males and 48 years for females. Among those with sickle cell-hemoglobin C disease, the median age at death was 60 years for males and 68 years for females. Among adults with sickle cell disease, 18 percent of the deaths occurred in patients with overt organ failure, predominantly renal. Thirty-three percent were clinically free of organ failure but died during an acute sickle crisis (78 percent had pain, the chest syndrome, or both; 22 percent had stroke).

Modeling revealed that in patients with sickle cell anemia, the acute chest syndrome, renal failure, seizures, a base-line white-cell count above 15,000 cells per cubic millimeter, and a low level of fetal hemoglobin were associated with an increased risk of early death.

A large proportion of those who died had no overt chronic organ failure but died during an acute episode of pain, chest syndrome, or stroke. Early mortality was highest among patients whose disease was symptomatic. A high level of fetal hemoglobin predicted improved survival and is probably a reliable childhood forecaster of adult life expectancy.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Also, "sudden death" in recruits with sickle cell trait is an old military problem.

More info from Harvard:

Sickle Cell Trait

Sickle cell trait usually is not regarded as a disease state because it has complications that are either uncommon or mild. Nevertheless, under unusual circumstances serious morbidity or mortality can result from complications related to polymerization of deoxy-hemoglobin S. Such problems include increased urinary tract infection in women, gross hematuria, complications of hyphema, splenic infarction with altitude hypoxia or exercise, and life-threatening complications of exercise, exertional heat illness (exertional rhabdomyolysis, heat stroke, or renal failure) or idiopathic sudden death (1-4). Pathologic processes that cause hypoxia, acidosis, dehydration, hyperosmolality, hypothermia, or elevated erythrocyte 2,3-DPG can transform silent sickle cell trait into a syndrome resembling sickle cell disease with vaso-occlusion due to rigid erythrocytes. Compound heterozygous sickle cell disease can be mistaken as uncomplicated sickle cell trait, particularly when an unusual globin variant is involved.

Complications from sickle cell trait are important because about three million people in the United States have this genotype, about 40 to 50 times the number with sickle cell disease.

An important potential complication of sickle cell trait is unexpected exercise-related death (ERD). The validity of this association aroused heated controversy (4). The possibility that previously healthy young people with sickle cell trait might suffer increased mortality from exercise was first suggested by observations of enlisted recruits in US Armed Forces basic training. A military trainee with Hb AS suffered exercise related hypernatremia during physical training in the field. He only survived a critical illness that included acute renal failure because of dialysis (8). During a single summer, there were four exercise-related deaths among recruits at Fort Bliss, all of whom were black and had sickle cell trait, while no recruits with normal hemoglobin died. Only 1.5% of these recruits had sickle cell trait. The authors suggested a significant risk association with sickle cell trait (8).

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
AMMONIA capsules? The only thing I can think of to use these for would be to revive a person who has fainted. So it sounds like he fainted, probably because he was sick, and they still kept trying to force him to do exercises. This is utterly sick. Seems like murder should be charged instead of manslaughter.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So, these people are required to have ESP now as well? That is, in addition to being lawyer and nursemaid?

Anyone here ever done this job?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That these folks are guilty, they should cover their mouths and make them inhale ammonia until their throats swell and they suffer the same consequence. Eye for an Eye is somethine we need more of for all.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I live here in PCB. where this happened the news played this video a bazillion times, i think the guards got a little out of hand, and didn't really see that the boy was sick, the thing that pissed me off the more i watched it was that stupid ass nurse. She practically stood there and watched them kill this kid. I would link the video but don't know how.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Landis
So, these people are required to have ESP now as well? That is, in addition to being lawyer and nursemaid?

Nobody asked them to do all that, especially not the "nursemaid" part, since there was actually a nurse present. I'm sure all that information is in his file. Why was the nurse there, if she wasn't going to do her job? Out of this whole situation, she's the most liable. No offense to any cops here, but I don't really expect too much from them when it comes to black males, but that nurse... she really messed up.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Landis

Anyone here ever done this job?

It doesn't take ESP or even intelligence to know that when someone passes out/faints, they are not well enough to exercise.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I have had a job that was very, very close to that one. I never thought of myself as a nursemaid or lawyer, because I knew that my clients were troubled and needed my help, not my judgmental, harsh and non-compassionate attitude. I would have been horrified and murderously enraged if anyone had done something like that to one of my clients.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Well, now, 11 month later they have had their trial -- and they were acquitted.

I've started athread about it Torture, starvation and death: how American boot camps abuse boys

About the trial, and the riots it caused, can be read here.

top topics

join