It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hint: Never Work Hard.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Gear's hint of the day: Never Work Hard!

Surely you are now asking yourself
"Why would someone say this? Surely it is good to work hard!"

Not necessarily. Take me for example.
I have been busting my hump, putting in 200% and jumping over hoops to get a promotion that was promised to me for a little over two years now.
200%? How is that possible you ask?
Doing my workmates' and boss's job, unpaid.
30 minutes unpaid overtime every shift.
Being on call 24/7.
Putting my own money toward the company, totalling about $8000. (AUS)
And that's just the half of it.

I have been working hard. So where is my promotion promised to me?
Well two months ago I was involved in an accident. I was told that I was unable to go back to work for at least three months. Yet work has been begging me to come back early on light duties. I consulted with my doctors. They advised that it was okay, so long as it is for short hours, and limited to only light duties.

So I went back two weeks ago, a month early. Straight away they had broken their agreement. They have me on my normal hours, and 'normal' duties. Because I have always put in the extra effort, the 'normal' duties I refer to are actually very heavy. Because of this I have hurt myself, and will spend longer recovering. On top of that, today I was asked to cancel this weeks physiotherapy and x-rays so I can cover for someone. I said no.

About an hour later I was told out of the blue that I'm not going to be around for long. Now what the hell is that supposed to mean!? After all that I have done for them they are just going to brush me off!? I have spent most of my savings getting back on my feet, and now that I'm low on cash they don't care?! Ofcourse they are going to keep me around until the end of Christmas, our busy time of year.

Screw that. Screw them. I will be quitting next week without notice. I just won't turn up. No legal issues will keep me there until they find someone else.
On top of being unemployed, No one will want to hire at this time of year, especially someone who can't work at full capacity for a while.
There goes my life plans... Again...

Again: Never Work Hard! You will be taken advantage of, and given the boot when your not needed any more.
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:
:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

[edit on 28-11-2006 by Gear]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
man.... thats tough. Sorry about your situation. Keep your head up, get yourself well first and then you'll find a good job. Remember its all attitude.

I have to ask, how and why did you have to spend your own money for your company? That's just wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Unfortunate to hear that man, but Not working hard is not the answer.

When you bust your ass, people notice. Whether we realize it or not, people do take notice. Put in your notice, and exit this job with proud. Have your chin held high and wish everyone the best. Your obviously a better person than most of the people you work with and for. Anyone who is allowing someone else to do their work is someone I would not working for me.

This experience will be important when looking for another job. If you leave without notice, it is only going to work against you in the future. You have obviously been taken advantage of at your current employer, do not allow them to have the last word. Leaving without notice, will give them this upper hand.

From what you have told us, it is obvious you would be an asset to any company. Talk to some people in your office and look for references. They will come in handy in your pursuit for another job.

My rule of thumb is never burn a bridge. No matter what the situation, I try to avoid burning any bridges as you never know when they will come in handy.

What has happened to you is sure to spark some raw emotion, but sometimes these emotions can lead to bad decisions. Leave these people behind and look for bigger and better.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Isnt there a Job Labour Board you can turn to? I mean, their work load causing physical damage, and then telling you not to seek further medical help and continue working... thats a law suit to say the least... and a damned easy lawsuit. You could get alot of money out of them for what they've done.

At least you could over here.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I have to ask, how and why did you have to spend your own money for your company? That's just wrong.

Yeah. I wasn't entirely honest, It wasn't straight into the company, But it might have well been. Long story short. I was told a position was coming up at a different location, and I had 6 months to get my own transport to get there. Once I did this I would be a shoe in.
So I spent $8000 (AUS) on getting a license and motorbike. (which coincidentally is responsible for my accident).
Here's the thing. I live a 10 minute walk from work, (and local shops) 30 minute walk from a major shopping center, and plenty of public transport to pretty much everywhere. I never needed my own transport until I was told to get one for the job.

Originally posted by johnsky
Isnt there a Job Labour Board you can turn to? I mean, their work load causing physical damage, and then telling you not to seek further medical help and continue working... thats a law suit to say the least... and a damned easy lawsuit. You could get alot of money out of them for what they've done.

Yeah, that's an issue for me. There's plenty of reasons that I can get money from them. Everybody is out to make a quick buck. But personally I believe in old values. Take what you earn, and take what comes. Don't go looking for it.
Anyway, once I get my X-rays done on friday, If any permanent damage has been caused, I will try to get compensation. If not, I'll let it be. Either way, I will be quitting, regardless.

Originally posted by chissler
Unfortunate to hear that man, but Not working hard is not the answer.
When you bust your ass, people notice. Whether we realize it or not, people do take notice. Put in your notice, and exit this job with proud. Have your chin held high and wish everyone the best.

Thanks man. Yeah, I know people notice, I just don't like being taken advantage of like this. I don't see why I should have the decency to give notice. Besides, the longer I stay, the more permament damage I (could) be doing.

Yeah, I see what you mean though. But in the end it's not really my decision to have the last word. Quitting just before christmas is bad enough. I doubt that they wont hold a grudge if I give notice.

On a side note, I'm thinking of trying to get funding to do some courses. Get some more certificates behind me.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I'm only seventeen and have been working for a little over a year now, and I am proudly stating that I am a very hard worker where I work. Unfortunetly, I don't get promoted or even congratulated besides, "your good!". New employees come in and have worked for only a month and have not done impressive work to even get a promotion I always wanted to recieve. They become supervisors and managers whilest I work myself beyond anyones expectations there. I ask for a raise, but they say raises only come in every year. I started off with minimum-wage ($7.55 CA) and now a year later to $7.85. They treat me like crap and don't respect me, while I clean up after them and obey. For a long time I wanted to quit, but I am staying to improve my skills (which is far beyond anyone who works there) so the job becomes easier and less time consuming. I am a very bright, respectable individual who respects all even if they don't commend my hard work. I must admit, I am very quiet and I get the feeling they are sexually harassing me (even the manager) behind my back. What do I do? I can't do anything because if I go public, I have no proof but my experience...

7A

P.S

If I had a "camera over-view" of myself working, you'd find me an excessive multi-tasker and very talanted. My hard work does't get to me besides not getting what I should really be deserved. I do not stress over improving my ability or get mad. I smile, and treat everyone with respect.

I have observed that they hire people who look good looking for there own entertainment and gossup.

I have considered not working to hard and blend myself in with there lazyness. Unfortunetly I would rather not. I respect my personal achievements and do not want to disrespect such.

One of the positions I am in:

Your boss, landlord, or other authority figure uses their position of power to sexually harass you. By being in a vulnerable situation, it is difficult for you to speak out about the situation. The person in authority uses the position to help them get away with unwelcome sexual comments or actions.

www.ohrc.on.ca...

I have also noticed my manager to sexually harass a co-worker and denied it right infront of both of us.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that, Ayreon.
I'd suggest you leave and find somewhere better, but I know that it's not as simple as it might sound.
If you really want to 'catch' your manager out, you would probably need some witnesses who can all vouch that they all heard the same thing.

I know it's not much help, but it's all I can really say. Hopefully someone will come up with a better suggestion.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
On a side note, I'm thinking of trying to get funding to do some courses. Get some more certificates behind me.

Not sure where you are located, but I am doing the same. (I'm in Canada)

Considering I'm only 21, it was not a drastic move. But for the last year or so I've been working two jobs which had me banking countless hours. In August I had applied for Unemployment and assistance from the government to help with my education.

I currently receive unemployment, regular student assistant payments to alleviate the burden of rent, groceries, etc., and they have payed for 80% of my tuition.

Maybe you could look into something like that. The only requirement I had to meet was having the hours to apply for unemployment. Which was about 912 hours, and I had that a few times over.

Something to look into.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Work smart not hard..... learn from your mistakes, there are a tons of people out there who would not think twice about taking advantage of others, happens all the time.

The worst thing about it is that there will be another victim after you leave the company as it is very difficult to stop this problem. An endless cycle of exploitation. Hope god notices....

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Yeah. I'm in Australia, where we have a similar setup.
I've had problems with them in the past. They said I was on their unemployment file, was recieving payments and had to go in for interviews. I recieved phone calls and E-mails weekly for about six months. For the first few months I complied; Giving bank statements proving I was not receiving their payment, and I was receiving payments from employment. After a while They said I owed them money, because I have been recieving their payments whilst being employed.
I started to go in again showing them the statements again. After a while they stopped contacting me.

Because of this I'm a bit weary to appy. I'm actually thinking of getting funding privately. Like getting a contract stating that a company will employ me for 'X amount of years, and taking a percentage of my pay If they fund my tuition.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
That to me sounds like you should do that in a communist society.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Sounds like every job I've ever had.

You want to hear what I would do?

BURN THE PLACE DOWN!

top topics

join