It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women talk 3 times more than Men. Really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
From the Daily Mail, UK

In fact, women talk almost three times as much as men, with the average woman chalking up 20,000 words in a day - 13,000 more than the average man.

Women talk more, men devote less brain function to auditory stimulation.

Ladies, what do you make of this?
Go ahead, I'm listening..I swear.

Girl Talk

[edit on 27-11-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Can a guy chime in on this? Of course women talk more. They have to. The first two times they say something, we're not paying any attention.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
We didnt need a study to tell us that. Anyone here with a girlfriend can tell you that.

Here's a new one though, seeing as this is the third post, and no females have commented, wouldnt that indicate men type more?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It was a woman who wrote this book.

I really would like to hear a womans point of view on this!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think a better title for this thread would have been....
get ready for it....
here it comes.......

Are Men and Women Equal in Talking? Hint:NO!
(not-so-subtle jab at the anti-islam thread currently on the board)

Its almost like some people ( ) dont understand that men and women are actually different.

The Double-think is thick with-in the feminists movement, and we are risking attack by the extremists for even discussing this (women talking more), but whats the use in having a pair if you dont use them from time to time, right guys?

No kidding women talk more....but the sad thing is.....they often say less!

I was telling a poster the other day that bragged of their 'contributions' to ATS that quantity does not equal quality by any streatch of the imagination.

I have seen many people come and go over the few years I have been visiting this site, and some of the best posts have been from people that post the least, where-as on the other side of the coin I have seen some very prolific posters that have contributed entire series' of mindnumbing dribble that amounts to little more than regurgitated slop.

Yes women talk more, its the way God made them.
Why do you think satan aproached Eve and not Adam?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
OHH yeah women talk more. Going on and on and on.

If I could give advice to women in general it would be this..

Males (especially me) have incredibly short attention spans, and cannot focus on so much dull information in such a short time..

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Rockpuck,

I actually started a Rant thread, not too long ago, about the shortness of my attention span. It's true, I think that in general the male mind wanders much more quickly than the..the, wow can you smell that? someones making microwave popcorn..!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright Of course women talk more. They have to. The first two times they say something, we're not paying any attention.

Finally, a guy who admits it!

I've know a few guys that could put the girls to shame, but yes, as a general rule, I'd have to agree women talk more than men do. Although it does seem that men talk in their sleep more than women do... I hope I just freaked all you men out

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
You guys need to read a better paper!

In yesterday guardian they published an article that contained several academics criticising this research and saying its not true at all. Apparently she didnt even source her research or say how she got those numbers.

In fact to prove the point they wired up two of their writers and the difference was only about 1000 words.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
You guys need to read a better paper!

In yesterday guardian they published an article that contained several academics criticising this research and saying its not true at all. Apparently she didnt even source her research or say how she got those numbers.

In fact to prove the point they wired up two of their writers and the difference was only about 1000 words.

Heh. They made the point that I was going to make -- it depends on the people involved (I don't talk a lot) and what situations they are in (women who sit in front of computers all day long don't have a lot to day. On the other hand, on the days that I teach, I get more than a day's allowance of words going.

It also depends on the culture and... heck, a lot of things.

I agree... poorly done research.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I dont get the comments about attention span. Unless you're trying to be polite. Mostly I dont want to listen to what my female partner has to say. I try to block it out, same as noise

top topics

join