It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Airforce F-16 Crashes in Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just found out in the news that the body has been taken before American forces got there. Most likely taken by the insurgents who were nearby since the military says they were in the vicinity of the crash site.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The F-16CG jet

what does the G stand for?
i know its an F-16C but the G i dont get.

justin

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Video of crashed F-16 in Iraq. Also seen in footage is what appears to be the body of pilot. Although it is not confirmed.

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
No such type as G (also Fox news as of 1310 EST ) just showed pictures of it still smoldering with tail CC (Cannon AFB ,Clovis New Mexico ) Pilot body was not at the crash site . I no this tail as I worked there during the FB-111D days .

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by vertol
No such type as G (also Fox news as of 1310 EST ) just showed pictures of it still smoldering with tail CC (Cannon AFB ,Clovis New Mexico ) Pilot body was not at the crash site . I no this tail as I worked there during the FB-111D days .

F-16CG is a designation. However, There was no such thing as an FB-111D, there was the FB-111, and F-111D though. The FB was a SAC bird, later turned into F-111G for TAC/ACC then quickly retired. Cannon for a while had the D birds then later all were at Cannon.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Damn that's terrible, one of the reports that I read stated that other military jets in the area immediately began encircling the crash site after it went down. I'm guessing now that's not true because one they wouldn't allow anyone but coalition forces at the crash site, and two they could have tracked whomever took the body.

Also, F-16CG is a real designation, basically it lets you know the block of the aircraft and what weapons/avionics systems it has.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
CGs are traditionally ground attack/CAS players, while CJs are equipped with the HTS/HARM and perform Wild Weasel type duties.

There is little that the circling aircraft could have done. They couldn't target those on the ground. You wouldn't be able to tell if they were trying to help the pilot, or hurt him. Same when they took the body away. They may have been taking him to hospital (I'm talking from a guy in a cockpit point of view, it would be easier to tell on the ground). And really, even if they were taking the body away, there is little they could do from the air. Amazing how powerless you can feel with all those weapons, ISR support and a multi-million dollar airframe at your disposal. They would have just been hoping the ground guys got there in time.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This really is horrible, has it been confirmed that the pilot died from ejection? Or did he die in captivity?

I hope Coalition forces finds his body and brings it back home for the family to perform a proper burial.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
lets just hope some neighboring country *cough* iran *cough* syria isnt supplying the insurgents with some newer manpad that is better capable of downing a jet. i wouldnt put it past them.

my gut tells me this was mechanical failure, but i think if any jet was going to be shot down it would be a low flying f16 on a CAS mission.

i feel real bad for the family, this pilot is a hero too bad he died for such a ridiculous war

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Is this being covered by the major news outlets? I've yet to see a report.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
Is this being covered by the major news outlets? I've yet to see a report.

Yes, in fact, it was covered by major news outlets. It was covered mainly Fox and a brief mention of the incident on MSNBC.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join