It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible cold war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well were stuffed and need team america to rescue.

The recent assasination on a russain spy here in the uk sent shockwaves through me, to be honest i don't know how the story made it to the public domain

My concern is are we headed for another cold war, i mean using polonium to kill Litvinenko when they could have killed him 1 million other ways is just over the top, unless Russia are sending a message to the uk; telling us not to harbour their defectors or other wanted russains.

It just strikes me this comes at a time not long after we have welcomed some very wealthy murky and influencial russains. our business relationships have also grown notably.

I just wonder for what reason would the russains have to be so bold,? who are they threatening? and what is the message they are sending ?

I would be interested if anyone could shed some ideas on this one. im really un-nerved

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

ESPIONAGE
The espionage, or spying, threat did not end with the collapse of Soviet communism in the early 1990s. Espionage against UK interests continues from many quarters.

In the past, espionage activity was typically directed towards obtaining political and military intelligence. In today's high-tech world, the intelligence requirements of a number of countries now include new communications technologies, IT, genetics, aviation, lasers, optics, electronics and many other fields. Intelligence services, therefore, are targeting commercial enterprises far more than in the past.

The UK is a high priority espionage target and a number of countries are actively seeking UK information and material to advance their own military, technological, political and economic programmes. (See also "Methods of attack and targets").

We estimate that at least 20 foreign intelligence services are operating to some degree against UK interests. Of greatest concern are the Russians and Chinese. The number of Russian intelligence officers in London has not fallen since Soviet times.

The threat against UK interests is not confined to the UK itself. A foreign intelligence service operates best in its own country and some may therefore find it easier to target UK interests at home, where they can control the environment and where we may let our guard drop. See "Dealing with the espionage threat whilst overseas" for further information.

Strange is'nt it the the number of russian intelligence officers has not dropped in the uk since soviet times huh ????

I wonder how you americans are holding up.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I was not aware Litvinenko was killed by the Russians. Is there concrete evidence already? Or is there just speculation? This guy was involved with some shady figures besides the Russian government, and with the trail left by polonium I am sure they are going to find something sooner or later.

Obviously if he was killed, whoever did it wanted it to be public and seem threatening. And why exactly would the Russian government benefit from something like this? Putin right now is interested in maintaining the best relations with the West. Russian oil export contracts are being decided on, and so is membership in the WTO. Just recently Russia stated that it will not build an oil pipeline to China, signaling possible increased business with the West instead. In turn Georgia and Ukraine laid off their fierce criticism of Putin, and quieted down. So with everything else improving why would Russia do something reckless like this?

As much as they wanted to get rid of Litvenenko, who is considered a traitor to the highest degree, this is really not the best time to do it.

And in order to spy on each other, one does not need a Cold War. the War on Terrorism and the associated problems in Europe and elsewhere, are reason enough for the intelligence community to take active involvement on all sides. It is silly to think that the fall of USSR meant that spying was no longer needed. Just the opposite- it opened up all borders and lessened security, allowing easier access for spies.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The Home Secretary, John Reid, updates the House of Commons with a statement on the search for radioactivity.

He says traces had been discovered in 12 locations, as well as the two British Airways planes.

Mr Reid tells MPs that two Russian aircraft, one of which is currently at Heathrow airport, are also of interest.
Source

Hint hint, still no evidence disclosed that its was the russian gov, but the clues are building and i believe my previous suspicions will be proven to be right.

new topics

top topics

join