It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion Thread For ATS Holiday Avatar Competition (Congrats Regenmacher & ImJaded)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The purpose of this Thread is to Discuss the ongoing ATS Holiday Avatar Competition.

This thread is not for submissions. We are here to discuss the competition itself.

You can post your submissions to the thread below.

ATS Holiday Avatar Competition

Good Luck to Everyone!

[edit on 27-11-2006 by chissler]

[edit on 8/1/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

This Division is for Members who do not regularly create images, or hold breathtaking photoshop abilities. We do stipulate that you do create your own avatar to enter the competition.

....I'm such a lazy reader sometimes and such an idiot!!:bnghd:
You mean create it from scratch or find a image on the web,edit it and use it?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tormentor
You mean create it from scratch or find a image on the web,edit it and use it?

When I wrote it, I knew that it could be perceived in that manner.

They do not have to be 100% original. You can google some images and use these. That is perfectly fine. What we are trying to prevent is members turning to others for help. We are looking for members to use their own creative minds and come up with some submissions of their own.

Umbrax & myself are willing to resize and crop images, but that is the extent of it. Adding text is something we will not do.

The goal of this competition is to have a good time and a laugh, very little effort is required to come up with some great avatars. So I hope members do not get discouraged when they realize we are asking them to create their own avatars.

So again, avatars do not have to be 100% original. The only thing we ask is that you do 100% of the work.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Good luck to everyone!

There are six weeks for everyone to get an entry in. That is a long time to let the creative juices flow.

Remember, everyone has a chance to win regardless of photochop ability.
Having the two divisions will allow the Photoshop masters to go nuts while giveing everyone else a chance to scoop up a cool 10,000 points.
Naturally, those entering the heavy weight division will be putting in a lot of work for the big 15,000 point prize.

In the end this is about having fun and decorating the boards (via our avatars) with the spirit of the season.

I hope to see a lot of entries

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Unless I misread, animated GIF's are allowed, is there a limit on how many frames, I just dont want to start the one I have planned without knowing a frame limit.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As many frames as you can cram into 75k

The Maximum size and dimensions for ATS avatars is 75k and 160x320px

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Alright then, 75k, I think I can get what I want done into that, by the way I think this is a great contest, I tend to like to show off my work, but have never been able to be rewarded for it.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think I like participating much more than judging, so I'm happy
this contest has started.

I'm glad I had the foresight to create my holiday avatar the same
time I made my thanksgiving one.

It would seem I'm the first entrant.

[edit on 11/28/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I.K.

Very nice....

This is a great contest. And finally they are giving us enough time to be creative...

Semper

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have a question, that's been bothering me since the last contest.

Does the individual have to be using there avatar, and
if so for how long and/or when?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is not against the rules to not wear your avatar

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
And yet,,,

Who would not want to make ATS all pretty with our Avatars???

Now,

What to enter, what to enter....

This much time is going to really cause me to have an anxiety attack...

Semper

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The competition has barely had a chance to breath and were already getting entries.

I think this competition is going to take off.

Thank you to the members who have already entered, and to those who are still working, get at it! The bar has been set pretty high.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Based on Umbrax's quick response which I did'nt see
until now, I'd like to make a suggestion.

I suggest that for the next xontest, we make it a requirement
that from the point that you enter your submission into the
contest, you are required to use it as your avatar until the
contest is over.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
We really want to keep these contests fun and simple.
Forcing members to wear the avatars they enter may take some fun out of the contest and would certainly mean more work for those involved with running the contest.

Often members will create an avatar to support a fellow member who is going through hard times. If that member has already entered the contest they would then have to choose to either stay in the contest or support their friend. That is not a position I'd like to place a member in.
Also the more complicated the rules get for these things the more difficult it becomes for those running it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
That's a good point, an one I did'nt think about.

What about creating a subcategory where you get 500
points extra if you win and wear it the whole time.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

But who is going to determine if the member had supported the avatar the whole time?

We've worked out a system where we have two divisions, so nobody is left out. I think governing who does and does not wear their avatars is something we are not prepared to undertake.

I think it is a good suggestion, as it fills the board with the Holiday theme, but it is a little unrealistic. Our judges are consisted of staff members, who are too busy as it is. They have donated some time already to judge this contest for us, asking them to keep an eye on who is wearing what each day, is a little too much.

Members are not required to wear their avatar all the time. It is nice if they do, as it spreads the theme, but nobody will be faulted for not wearing an avatar.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
That's a good point, an one I did'nt think about.

In my opinion, wearing the avatar that you created should be your choice. I don't think that it should be required, simply creating it is enough, if you don't want to wear it, or you want to give it to somebody else or even made it specifically for someone that should be fine.

Now, if somebody makes one for you, then you should respect them and wear it. But I personally feel that if it's your own creation you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

As previously stated by chissler and Umbrax, these contests are for fun, and that would be way to much work on the judges' and overseers' part for it to be fun for them.

Besides, I haven't seen a single person create an avatar and then not wear it, so I don't even think this is an issue. I could be wrong here, but if there is anybody that hasn't used their avatar then i haven't noticed.

Let's just have fun, maybe like a break from all of the politics and controversy, too much of that will drive a person mad.

Pancho

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7Pan7cho7
Now, if somebody makes one for you, then you should respect them and wear it.

And be sure not to submit it. It is required that all submissions are created by the member who is submitting them.

Just wanted to clarify that point, in case it was not already clear.

Other than that, carry on.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
just curious do i have to PM anyone?
or was it ok for me just to post it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join