It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annual Funding of Insurgency in Iraq is what US Forces use in ONE Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
A Vietnam deja vu is emerging in Iraq. Like back then, it now becomes evident that the worlds most sophisticated military power are checkmated by faulty or wrong, sometimes by no intelligence at all. By simply not knowing what goes on. That the insurgency is self-sustained is what a classified United States government report now concludes. Estimates are that groups responsible for insurgent and terrorist attacks are raising $70 million to $200 million a year from illegal activities. $200 million is what US in one day fighting insurgency in Iraq.
A classified report, with bold heading on the front page saying "secret" and a warning, not to be shared with foreign governments, only leaked to NYT. So I can only provide this link.
Please do yourself the favour to register (takes 30 secs) so you can read it.

www.nytimes.com
A copy of the seven-page report was made available to The Times by American officials who said the findings could improve understanding of the challenges the United States faces in Iraq.

The report offers little hope that much can be done, at least soon, to choke off insurgent revenues. For one thing, it acknowledges how little the American authorities in Iraq know — three and a half years after the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein — about crucial aspects of insurgent operations. For another, it paints an almost despairing picture of the Iraqi government’s ability, or willingness, to take steps to tamp down the insurgency’s financing.

“If accurate,” the report says, its estimates indicate that these “sources of terrorist and insurgent finance within Iraq — independent of foreign sources — are currently sufficient to sustain the groups’ existence and operation.” To this, it adds what may be its most surprising conclusion: “In fact, if recent revenue and expense estimates are correct, terrorist and insurgent groups in Iraq may have surplus funds with which to support other terrorist organizations outside of Iraq.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The report states most of the revenue of insurgent funding originates from oil smugling. They can't even control the oil! And they can't do anything about it. A proper question to ask then, is who is in control of Iraq? Certainly not US armed forces and obviously not the marionet installed government.

What the true nature of the problem - to neutralize insurgency - comes down to is motivation. Or maybe rather the lack of it. The guerillas has everything to fight for, their belief, religion, culture, their homestead, families, their security. They are top motivated - and they are in it with their lives.

The Americans - and so-called coalition forces - are there for political reasons. For quite a part of the American GIs are only there for the money. Of course not the same money as Halliburton, KBR and the like make. But as an alternative to the idleness and unemployment of crack-infested US metropolises. They can never be indoctrinated into any motivation. They can be fascinated by the glamour of high-tech armoury, the adrenaline kick of faring war, and for some by the superior feeling by acting god, in killing by will as necessity. Boys are fascinated by power, some get high on it.

But the power of will to win they lack. Because even if they knew what they were fighting for, they would just give it a damn. Only the CEOs and their boards know what the fight is for - and they would never dare to put their lives in harms way.

That's what they have expendable lives of young people for.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
So umm... what's the issue you were trying to push from line one? I highly doubt it was a general brief of an interest factoid.

But I do have to say, we could learn a thing or two about efficient use of funds from the terrorists.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   
That the average boy is in it for the kick, rather than the cause is my point. And the reason as to why they'll never win the war.
But the military-industrial-complex will. They take it all. All the fundings. They get rich.. and more rich ..more and more. They're the winners.

By the way, the 200 million stated as the cost of one day, doesn't hold any longer.

Calculated over the past two months the costs per day is now past 450 million.

I have a thread where I keep track of it. You can go check it yourself.
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Congrats westpoint, your country has done you proud.

Not only have they made the entire country beg for your blood,
Youve let them create an economy, out of killing your troops.

This crusade had done nothing positive.
youve created hatred
youve created a training ground
youve lost god knows how much equipment
and now they have a sustainable economy within their groups to fund themselves indefinately..

all they need are a supply of young men, willing to seak revenge on your nation, for the attrocities it has committed.
At this rate, youre making plenty.

If you cant see that coming out of the reports these days from Iraq,
youve obvioulsy not reading much are ya.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
That the average boy is in it for the kick, rather than the cause is my point. And the reason as to why they'll never win the war.

I find this to be a highly offensive statement. To imply that US forces are there for the thrill is ridiculous.

And the war today is not insurgency vs coalition forces. It's Iraqi vs Iraqi, with influence from outside forces such as Iran.

The fact that as much as $36 million annualy is estimated to come from ransoms shows that our policy of not negotiating with terrorists hurts them more than psychologically. When you give in and pay what they demand, you feed the terror in more ways than one.

Regarding the cost of what the US spends vs what the coalition spends, remember that they do not have a payroll of 140,000 to meet. They are made up of mainly volunteers.

As for the oil revenues, that is because of rampant corruption in the Iraqi gov't. As the article states, Iraq imports $4 to $5 billion of energy per year. Why do they need to import fuel? Because oil production is unstable due to terrorism. They piss in their own nest. And up to 30% of this imported fuel is smuggled back out of the country for resale.

Your assessment of Iraq being a "marionet" gov't is also off the mark. al-Maliki is a belligerent fool, probably because he is profiting from the corruption. He made the US call off checkpoints in Sadr City. Why do you think Bush is meeting with him this week? And why do you think Mookie al Sadr is threatening more violence if the meeting goes on as planned?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Congrats westpoint, your country has done you proud.

Not only have they made the entire country beg for your blood,
Youve let them create an economy, out of killing your troops.

I think you need to do a little more reading. The violence in Iraq is sectarian. We are pretty much sitting on the sidelines right now, because the idiot that is running Iraq wants it that way.

This crusade had done nothing positive.
youve created hatred
youve created a training ground
youve lost god knows how much equipment
and now they have a sustainable economy within their groups to fund themselves indefinately..

Right... it was flowers and puppies before we got there.

This funding will not last indefinitely. It's not like the first wave, where all we had to do to impact it was to shut down bank accounts. What needs to be done now is to weed out the corruption in the gov't. But that will take al Maliki's co-operation, hard to get when he is profiting from the corruption.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by khunmoon

I find this to be a highly offensive statement. To imply that US forces are there for the thrill is ridiculous.

No offense meant, sorry for that. But I'm too detached and unsentimental to see glorifying circumstances based in any facts of that war.
Like they should be defending any values, though true and revered at their root, but now dilapilated, defiled by the lies and degraded by the fear manipulations has brought into the soul of The American People, I just don't buy.
US can't spin me.

Therefor nothing can convince me the boys in Iraq are fighting for The United States of America or for the security of its people and heartland. They are - or at least tried to - made believe that they are, is a fact I'm well aware of.

But in reality are they fighting for an corporate entity named the US and a pseudo semi-fascist conception they have named "the homeland" (die Heimat). And they are there mainly to keep the fight going so the business keeps rolling.
So I do believe the boys only have their kick to go for.

Have you watched the video Agit have posted in the related thread I've given?

Your assessment of Iraq being a "marionet" gov't is also off the mark.

So it is? Just didn't wanna call it "quisling". My point is you can't have national goverments in a tribal area that never was a nation.

All this hypocrite political-correctness-speech is just too much, and that it comes from US government makes me sick (considering the kinds of rules they used to install).

Why do you think Bush is meeting with him [al-Maliki] this week?

Why do you think Cheney made a quick-trip for a 3-hour talk with the Saudis?

All I dare say, some hanky-panky business with a number of possible agendas is going on.
I take it as a bad omen, but were I can share my observations and analysis, I just don't like to share my fears.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Right... it was flowers and puppies before we got there.

Compared to what it is now,
Definately.

Atleast back then students could walk from uni to home while enjoying an ice cream without the fear of being kidnapped, murdered, blown up, raped or tortured..

A good nights sleep was the norm,
instaed now youve got bombs, gun fire and midnight raids.

puppies and flowers?

If thats how you want to describe it, fair be it.
but the situation now is the worst is has ever been for this nation.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Atleast back then students could walk from uni to home while enjoying an ice cream without the fear of being kidnapped, murdered, blown up, raped or tortured..

A good nights sleep was the norm,
instaed now youve got bombs, gun fire and midnight raids.

People lived in constant fear of a visit from Saddam's troops or his sons. And the people doing the raping and kidnapping today are not coalition troops, but insurgents consisting of Iranian-trained Iraqis and outside forces.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
True, but with Saddam people knew the line.
they knew what the ycould do and couldnt do, what they could say, and couldnt say.
Saddam kept the militia's in check, and the religous factions in peace.
You need a MAD MAN to control MAD PEOPLE!

NOW, people are killed just for being on the street.
Just for being academics.
Just because they happen to dine in a cafe marked for a bombing

They could be bombed from the air,
bombed from the car next to them,
they could be kidnapped and tortured,
maybe held for randsom
they can be locked up in prison..

Saddams days were a CAKE Walk compared to todays lifestyle amongst average iraqi's.
IT was NO WHERE NEAR AS bad as it is now back in saddams days.

Im not saying it coalition that are doing this, im saying its BECAUSE The coalition went in, that this decrease in level of living has occured.

The west is REALLY in denial for the mistake they have made.

America ESPECIALLY needs to wake up to the fact that they have ruined Iraq, and any chance it had of peace. The longer they refuse to achnowledge the reality on the ground, the worse its going to get.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The tie-in between the US invasion and the current violence is because of a combination of factors, mostly due to a weak Iraqi Prime Minister. That and bad decisions made by the coalition. The current sectarian violence, as well as the rise of terrorism in Iraq, can be largely laid at the feet of al Sadr and his Mehdi army. And what did al Maliki do when the coalition set up checkpoints around Sadr City? Made them take them down. He's weak.

The US should have taken al Sadr out when the arrest warrant for murder was issued for him. Capture or kill him, preferably the latter.

Pinning this violence on the US is wrong. It would have been much worse if they had left earlier, and will be much worse when they leave now unless a capable leader is in charge of Iraq.

You say it takes a MAD MAN to control a MAD PEOPLE. That is true. But we have allowed the war to be driven by political correctness and dissenters from within the US, who are more concerned about treating terrorists with velvet gloves than accomplishing our mission.

America did not ruin Iraq. Iraqis ruined Iraq. How can they justify blowing up the oil pipelines that are their financial lifeblood? Pure stupidity.

new topics

top topics

join