It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police May Start Monitoring Conversations On The Street!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Not only is the UK the most 'spied on' population in the world, the police are now considering 'listening to people's conversations too! Now I aint against cameras, in fact I am all for them as I have nothing to hide, but this seems a bit drastic!! Though terrorism will be the excuse for theses no doubt!

from thetimesonline.co.uk
The microphones can detect conversations 100 yards away and record aggressive exchanges before they become violent.

Even if they 'hear' a fight going to start, I cant see the cops coming any time in the next hour or two anyway!!!

More HERE!

McP.

[edit on 26/11/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Remember remember the fifth of november, gunpowder treason and plot, for I see no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Rings a bell huh?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
And here i thought it was 2006.
Stupid me,i should have realised it was 1984.
Things are getting ridiculous.All in the name of "terror".
This whole thing has been a set up from day 1.Use "terror" and the war as an excuse to take away peoples rights.And slowly turn this world into one big police state.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Indeed...

V for Vendetta anyone?

They can kiss my hairy, white arse before they try this.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Guys and Gals this is only the start check out this report (again from the Timesonline)

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Minority Reports!!!

We need to stop this now (It is not yet too late but it soon will be!!!)

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This has got to be the most insane piece of Police garbage I have ever read!...

Ms Richards said that once an individual had been identified, police would decide whether to make moves towards an arrest, or to alert the relevant social services who could steer those targeted into “management programmes.”[/exe]

If they think there is enough grounds for an arrest, then they have enough powers as it is now to deal with it...

So you can be listened to in the streets, followed and tracked into your own home, and then arrested because they 'think' you might do some thing...

FFS this is getting bloody stupid.....1984 V for Vendatta all rolled into a minority report sandwich and toasted over a freedom fire.......... insanity.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Big Brother isn't just watching you, he's listening and recording too.

Mcphisto... you said you didn't think the cops would come for an hour or two - well they want us to think differently, according to the article you posted:

If the aggressive behaviour continues, police can intervene before an incident escalates. Privacy laws in Holland limit the recording of sound to short bursts. Derek van der Vorst, director of Sound Intelligence, the company that created the technology, said: “It is technically capable of being live 24 hours a day and recording 24 hours a day. It really depends on the privacy laws in a particular country.”

"Intervene before an incident escalates, eh?" About as likely as me guesting on I'm a Celebrity Stick This Up Your Arse.

But what really bothers me is the "function creep" inherent in the technology. This kind of stuff almost has a life of its own. If it can do something (like record 24/7), then the justification for it will be found.

Unsettling stuff indeed.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I would not be too bothered about this, the Police in the Uk cannot even cope with the existing crime rate, did not do much to prevent Irish terrorism or much else.
Its a national disgrace that they cannot stop a child from being abducted, or a women being raped or an OAP from being robbed but its reasuring to know that if an argument breaks out on the street the Swat team will be around in 2 minutes no doubt armed with automatic weapons just in case it goes pear shaped.

I would get these lazy fascist scumbags out of their cars, out of their bull crap military style garb and get them on the beat to protect the people who pay them to do the job there supposed to be doing rather than strutting around with guns like a bunch of 1st class wankers.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I remember reading that myself. Astonishing, really. I use all manner of swear words in my day to convo with friends, although I am just as capable of speaking Queens english when the situation needs it, say at work.

As far as I knew, Section 5, Public Order Act prohibits abusive language in Public, but the Police must warn you prior to taking action and it is usually only applied when there is a clear breach of the peace, not just because a Pig overheard you.

This is insane and hopefully he will get a level-headed judge who will throw this out and lambast the Police for wasting everyone's time.

top topics

join