It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subdivision Bans Christmas Wreath With Peace Sign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The Loma Lynda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs, Colorado has banned the use of a Christmas wreath in the shape of a peace sign. The president of the homeowners group says that the homeowner in question, Lisa Jensen, is making an anti-war protest or possibly even promoting satanism. Jensen is refusing to remove the wreath, saying that she is only trying to express her desire for peace on earth.

www.thedenverchannel.com
The subdivision's convenants said no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

When Kearns ordered the association's architectural control committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, they refused. Jack Lilly, chairman of the group, said it decided it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Lilly also said he had received no complaints from homeowners. Kearns fired all five members of the committee.

Bill Trimarco and Lisa Jensen stand next to their peace wreath at their home near Pagosa Springs on Friday.

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," said Kearns in a telephone interview Sunday. Earlier another homeowner had complied when required to take down a peace sign that was made of a pie plate held up by two skis.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think maybe Mr. Kearns has a little too much time on his hands to be so up in arms over a christmas wreath; or maybe he just thinks his opinion is more important than it actually is. I mean, to fire all five members of the architectural enforcement committee because they didn't agree with his decision...I was very gratified to learn that the homeowner is sticking to her guns and not refusing to bow down to this idiocy.

This is why I will never buy a condo or townhouse that requires membership in any group that has the power to tell me what I can do in or with my own home.

Related News Links:
seattlepi.nwsource.com
durangoherald.com

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
These are the types of injustices that just irritate me to no end. I would put money on the idea that to this guy, a peace symbol means these homeowners hate George Bush. What kind of world are we living in??

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well isn't that ironic. A man accuse's a peace sign of possibly promoting satanism. And here I thought it was war and intolerance that was the work of satan.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logic616
These are the types of injustices that just irritate me to no end. I would put money on the idea that to this guy, a peace symbol means these homeowners hate George Bush. What kind of world are we living in??

We are living in a world that is in constant conflict with itself, we are living in a world where we look for reasons to argue with one another.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Stuff like this pisses me off too, who makes up dumb organization like this? Last year they were telling people that they couldn't have a flagpole for the flag on their property, now this? :shk:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Stuff like this really annoys the hell outta me but

The subdivision's convenants said no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

is the reason I would never live in a community with rules governing how I live. However this seems to be a strange case considering that the committee that ruled on it SUPPORTED it. I can see this Kearns character's point but how is this a sign, billboard, or advertising to begin with? It's a wreath!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thought you might be interested in the history of the 'Peace Symbol", which is actually the 'Campaign For Nuclear Disarmament' C.N.D. logo...

One of the most widely known symbols in the world, in Britain it is recognised as standing for nuclear disarmament – and in particular as the logo of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). In the United States and much of the rest of the world it is known more broadly as the peace symbol.

It was designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a professional designer and artist and a graduate of the Royal College of Arts. He showed his preliminary sketches to a small group of people in the Peace News office in North London and to the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War, one of several smaller organisations that came together to set up CND.

Read the rest...

[edit on 26/11/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Man, human life is so complicated and.. trivial. I wonder how animals must see us?

Its like

Animal 1 "hey what they arguing about now?"
Animal 2 "Oh they did not agree symbolically or some crap and now they are arguing."
Animal 1"Hmm, I wonder why they don't just move away from each other and be done with it?"
Animal 2 "Ahahaha, yea.... right . If only they had it as good as us eh?"

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Thought you might be interested in the history of the 'Peace Symbol", which is actually the 'Campaign For Nuclear Disarmament' C.N.D. logo...

One of the most widely known symbols in the world, in Britain it is recognised as standing for nuclear disarmament – and in particular as the logo of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND). In the United States and much of the rest of the world it is known more broadly as the peace symbol.

It was designed in 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a professional designer and artist and a graduate of the Royal College of Arts. He showed his preliminary sketches to a small group of people in the Peace News office in North London and to the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War, one of several smaller organisations that came together to set up CND.

Very interesting!
I can tell you in Denmark back in 1962 or 63, we were threatened to be kick out of school for wearing badges with the sign. Always been considered dangerous.

For reasons that surpass my logic it was somehow considered communist.

It's a mirrored picture of the "N" and the "D" combined that forms the symbol I understand.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
^ Actualy it's made up of the semaphore for the letters (C)ND...

N

D

Yeah, anything that goes against the right wing conservative agenda is considered communist
Label whores...

[edit on 27/11/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Maybe YOU guys could get informed...

Old school Christians don't like the so-called 'peace sign' because of its origins...

It's viewed as an upside down broken cross. (AND a sign of Satanism
)

If the nature of the sign was anti-Islamic...

How different would this discussion be?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Isn't one of the main Christmas themes "Peace on Earth?" Why does it have to be political that someone puts up a wreath for peace?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Umm... when and why did this discussion turn into one where "conservative's" and Christians are blamed for this idiotic decision?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
We are heading to a point in our nation, that political correctness will take away the joy of Christmas and posibly christams itself.

I may no be religious but I like Christmas and anything that comes with it the way it is!!!!!

And please, people in this time of the year should be happy and joyful and take time to think about still been in this great nation alive and well.

Petty things like decorations made in shapes or other things is nothing than silly, let People have their own way to celebrate we should all united not get into each others business.

Peace in Earth to all of you and merry Christmas.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm no rocket scientist, but I think this pretty sums it up....

The subdivision's covenants said no signs, billboards or advertising are permitted without the consent of the architectural control committee.

When Kearns ordered the association's architectural control committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, they refused. Jack Lilly, chairman of the group, said it decided it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Lilly also said he had received no complaints from homeowners. Kearns fired all five members of the architectural control committee.

"Somebody could put up signs that say, 'Drop bombs on Iraq.' If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," said Kearns in a telephone interview Sunday. Earlier another homeowner had complied when required to take down a peace sign that was made of a pie plate held up by two skis.

(Kearns = president of the Loma Lynda Homeowners Association in Pagosa Springs)
(they = the association's architectural control committee (as used in the article))

Didn't the committee say it was ok? How can they continue to fine them if the subdivision committee said it was ok?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Haha... I just saw this article myself on Yahoo! 3 or 4 members saw the peace sign wreath as being satanic?!! What the heck is that all about? And people who have family and friends serving in Iraq find the peace sign offensive? What kind of crap is that?

This is so retarded, but the "offenders" do live in a subdivision and have to abide by it's charter and whatnot even if it is stupid.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Umm... when and why did this discussion turn into one where "conservative's" and Christians are blamed for this idiotic decision?

Becasue of the reasons given why it had to be taken down:

1) symbol of anti-war protest - generally this gets conservatives all up in a bunch
2)satanic symbol (this one just makes me laugh) - generally this gets christians all up in a bunch.

These days, hardcore christians & conservatives go hand in hand, so guilty by association I guess. The motives behind the decision were based on these to viewpoints. I dont think a peaceful anti war activist/non christian would have any issues with a peace sign. I think the whole thing is absurd however....

top topics

join