It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel is NOT possible!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Time Travel is NOT possible! Never was, never will be... on any planet ever! There is only one dimension of reality. Only one! Face it!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Time travel is possible theoretically as blind freddy can see that light entering our eye in the form of distant exploding stars took millions of light years to reach us and we are purely veiwing an event that happend previously. This delay in seeing the event is in its purest form a time travelling event even though the actual event happend in the past and we are seing it in the "now".

As to forward time travel in the case of Titor travelling back to his reference time frame I find hard to comprehend but perhaps some learned person can explain to me the possibility of forward time travel ?.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by mazzroth]

[edit on 26-11-2006 by mazzroth]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow

I'm glad someone finally cleared that up for us. Thanks for dropping by to set us all straight on that most vexing of all problems.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Time Travel is NOT possible! Never was, never will be... on any planet ever! There is only one dimension of reality. Only one! Face it!

I thought there was an article, some evidence, a quote by a famous physicist. Nada.

But, since you said it, it has to be true.

^techsnow

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm glad to help anytime I can, and yes because I said it IS true. Don't forget that.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
You do realize there a literally dozens of mathematically verified designs for time machines right?

The first time someone came up with a way to travel backwards in time was shortly after A. Einstein published his paper on General Relativity. The catch? You have to breech the speed of c.

To travel forward in time at a greatly increased rate, all you have to do is travel at relativistic velocities >80% speed of c. Time literally stops at c.

Time is Relative. Only Light is constant.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Of course he realizes it. He's a troll

He likes the attention.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Or a kiddie. I know he's a troll btw. I can smell 'em a mile a way(at least this type)

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You do realize there a literally dozens of mathematically verified designs for time machines right?

The first time someone came up with a way to travel backwards in time was shortly after A. Einstein published his paper on General Relativity. The catch? You have to breech the speed of c.

To travel forward in time at a greatly increased rate, all you have to do is travel at relativistic velocities >80% speed of c. Time literally stops at c.

Time is Relative. Only Light is constant.

Actually I didn't know that. Could you elaborate on this? Could you explain what c is?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If you don't know what c is, how could you possibly be so sure about the validity of time travel.

If you have a question about time travel, or don't understand something about it, it's better to just ask.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Actually I didn't know that. Could you elaborate on this? Could you explain what c is?

c equals the Speed of Light in a Vacuum.

en.wikipedia.org...

Types of possible Time Travel to the Past.

The equivalence of time travel and faster-than-light travel

If one were able to move information or matter from one point to another faster than light, then according to special relativity, there would be some inertial frame of reference in which the signal or object was moving backwards in time.

www.theculture.org...

Special spacetime geometries

The general theory of relativity extends the special theory to cover gravity, illustrating it in terms of curvature in spacetime caused by mass-energy and the flow of momentum. General relativity describes the universe under a system of field equations, and there exist solutions to these equations that permit what are called "closed time-like curves," and hence time travel into the past. [3]The first of these was proposed by Kurt Gödel, a solution known as the Gödel metric, but his (and many others') example require the universe to have physical characteristics that it does not appear to have.[3] Whether general relativity forbids closed time-like curves for all realistic conditions is unknown.

Using wormholes

Wormholes are a type of warped spacetime which are also permitted by the Einstein field equations of general relativity, although it would be impossible to travel through a wormhole unless it was what is known as a traversable wormhole.

A proposed time-travel machine using a traversable wormhole would (hypothetically) work something like this. A wormhole is created somehow. One end of the wormhole is accelerated to nearly the speed of light, perhaps with an advanced spaceship, and then brought back to the point of origin. Due to time dilation, the accelerated end of the wormhole has now aged less than the stationary end, as seen by an external observer. However, time connects differently through the wormhole than outside it, so that synchronized clocks at either end of the wormhole will always remain synchronized as seen by an observer passing through the wormhole, no matter how the two ends move around. This means that an observer entering the accelerated end would exit the stationary end when the stationary end was the same age that the accelerated end had been at the moment before entry; for example, if prior to entering the wormhole the observer noted that a clock at the accelerated end read a date of 2005 while a clock at the stationary end read 2010, then the observer would exit the stationary end when its clock also read 2005, a trip backwards in time as seen by other observers outside. One significant limitation of such a time machine is that it is only possible to go as far back in time as the initial creation of the machine[9]; in essence, it is more of a path through time than it is a device that itself moves through time, and it would not allow the technology itself to be moved backwards in time. This could provide an alternative explanation for Hawking's observation: a time machine will be built someday, but has not yet been built, so the tourists from the future cannot reach this far back in time.

Types of Time travel to the Future

Time Dialation
en.wikipedia.org...

Time dilation is permitted by Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity. These theories state that, relative to a stationary observer, time appears to pass more slowly for faster-moving bodies, or bodies that are within a deep gravity well. [16] For example, a moving clock will appear to run slow; as a clock approaches the speed of light it will appear to slow to a stop. This has given rise to the popular twin paradox. General relativity states that a similar effect would occur if the clock were to be close to a black hole.

Time perception can be apparently sped up for living organisms through hibernation, where the body temperature and metabolic rate of the creature is reduced. A more extreme version of this is suspended animation, where the rates of chemical processes in the subject would be severely reduced.

Time dilation and suspended animation only allow "travel" to the future, never the past, so they do not violate causality, and arguably should not be considered time travel.

Curved spacetime shell

This method of travelling to the future is unique in that it does not require travelling in space. However, it is impractical because it requires a mass on the order of the planet Jupiter. If a clump of distorted spacetime as massive as Jupiter is squeezed to be 5 meters tall and forms a funnel shape, a person who went into the bottom of it would not have to move anywhere to travel. The traveller inside the funnel would be moving 4 times faster than everything else, and the traveller would be able to see through the distorted spacetime like a window and see objects moving fast outside as if the world were in fast forward[6]. To observers on the outside, the time traveller would appear to be moving more slowly.

Small travel

Today, the only way to "travel" to the future cannot be used to travel over long periods of time -- only less than a single second. It is so insignificant that it is usually not mentioned at all. The only people that have used this method have been astronauts. Basically, the longer a person is in orbit around the Earth, the younger the astronaut will be in relation to observers on Earth. So far, the record for traveling farthest in the future using this method is held by Sergei Avdeyev[6]. He was in orbit 748 days (total) and traveling approximately 17,000 mph, resulting in him traveling 0.02 seconds (20 milliseconds) into the future[17]. That means that for Sergei Avdeyev to time travel just one whole second into the future, he would need to orbit for approximately 102.47 years. A common misconception was that the Apollo astronauts traveled faster, so they held the record -- they did travel faster, but not long enough (only a few days).

In essence we are all time travelers.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   

We are time traveling right now. Every second we are traveling 1 second into the future.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Time Travel IS possible! Always was, always will be... on any planet ever! There are infinite dimensions of reality. Infinite! Face it!

It is TRUE because I said SO!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Since you seem to know so much, why don't you create a form of free energy for us? Oh wait, that probably doesn't exist either. Hmmmm........

How about souls, do those exist in the mind that is the genius known as techsnow?

What color is the wind?

Astral Travel and/or OBEs?

hmmmm.......

Perhaps what would be best is at least one tiny shred of proof to support your theory Since you seem to have undeniable evidence that time travel is impossible, and that there is only one dimension.

Oh my goodness!!!!!

I just read back through some posts, and I saw that you didn't even know what c is. This just keeps getting better and better.

I have one quick question. You do know what physics is don't you? Because if you haven't had a great deal of studying physics, and you don't have any evidence, then you don't belong here telling us time travel doesn't exist.

I also see that you have been here since at least may, so you should definitely know that ATS is not the place to come making any type of claim without a shred of evidence, and also not being at least somewhat studied in the area you are talking about.

Most people will know that I am usually a nice guy, willing to work with people and their theories while keeping an open mind (unless people are trying to force their beliefs upon me), but threads like this seriously take away from the quality of ATS, a place that i've visited since before there were any forums (at least that I knew of, it was all articles i believe; but that was years ago, and i was only 13 then, so i could be wrong.)

You should really study up more on a subject before you go making outrageous claims with no proof whatsoever.

Good luck with this one techsnow, I have a feeling you will need it.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Ignorance is bliss....

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Right, and scientists 600 years ago knew the world was flat.

Point being, we don't know everything, nor do we know a
good chunk of everything, more like 4%.

Personally I don't think reverse time travel is impossible,
like there's some natural universal aspect that acts like a
road block that prevents it.

An interesting way to travel forward in time using wormholes,
that I did'nt see mentioned is this though, you engineer a
worm hole so that you enter one end, and, to the traveler,
would instantly come out the other end, in reality that would'nt
be what's happening, what it is is that the traveler would be in
a kind of stasis, so even though you entered today, and came
out in 2012, you would'nt actually be time traveling, rather you
would have been in stasis for 6 years.

I don't remember where I heard that, thought it was interesting
though.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think we should be clear here.

What most people think of when the name "Time Travel" is said, they think of 'jumping' through time. As in, to leave the section you are in, and wind up in another.

Travelling is different. We in fact are travelling at the moment.

You can speed time up in relation to your specific area, and you can slow it down.
Reversing it is also possible, but for every second you go back, is a second you have not witnessed. So it would be pretty futile to do, as you will only do exactly as you have already done, again.

You cannot jump points in time. You cannot dissapear from this point and wind up 20 years in the future. It is theoretically possible, however, to 'pause' your current state for 20 years, and continue animation then. But you are still open to being affected by whatever happens within those 20 years. IE, if someone were to decidedly move you, or re-animate you a little early, theres nothing you can do to stop that. Other than to leave a sign around your neck "Do not disturb until xxxx" and hope people have some decency.

So, to recap.
1. Jumping points in time without travelling through the time in between, cant be done.
2. Time can be sped up, and slowed down in relation to you.
3. Going backwards is futile, as you will lose all current knowlege on your way back, and just do everything you've already done, backwards on your way back, and repeat it again when you start moving forward again, as you don't have the knowlege necessary to make any different choices.

And no, I don't have direct quotes. But I have been studying this for quite some time.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I bet this thread popped up because Sci Fi aired the "Back to the Future" Trilogy over the holiday weekend.

All the time travel paradoxes that come from theoretical time travel is truly mind boggling.

Just like someone said before the Earth was thought to be flat, and the Earth was the center of the Universe.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Don't feed the troll guys, just let the thread die out and ignore it......

This is not a 1 liner.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I noticed a mistake I made, so i feel I should clarify what I meant.

I said..

Personally I don't think reverse time travel is impossible,

What I meant to say was..

Personally I think reverse time travel is impossible,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join