It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

Originally posted by Atomic

I think this is the issue on this thread. Whether you are Christian or not...does Best Buy have the right to control what you say as an employee when it comes to a non-racial, non-sales, and non work related behavior?

Um, can someone point out to me in the article where they are BANNING the use of merry christmas? They said they weren"t going to use it in their Advertising.

I'm going off what the person I quoted said, and what some of my friends at Best Buy have also said. Also Lowe's has a policy where employees can not say Merry Christmas unless someone says it to them first.. Which brings me back to my point that I think that such restrictions are going too far.

I'm not pushing Christmas, I'm more worried about non-work related restrictions being put on people's freedom of speech. I don't think greetings of religious goodwill are wrong. Our country needs to be about tolerance not intolerance...that tolerance has it's border though when a religious believer takes his greeting and wants to make it an agenda or uses it for harassment. But I don't think that line is being crossed here. Most of the anger I hear is from people that don't like the political religious right (I don't like them either) and are taking a act of goodwill that has been said for over a hundred years in this country, and portraying it as a great offense. I don't see malicious intent in the act of people saying "Merry Christmas" (or any other holiday religious greeting meant as goodwill towards me).

I think the thing is to just go in to Best Buy or Lowe's and see what they say to you.

[edit on 28/11/06 by Atomic]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
having read through most of this thread now.. well 4 pages anyways.. id have to say this. Who really gives a crap? i mean come on. There's so much other stuff to be worrying about right now, and you people are really getting that bent out of shape over this? all of you saying this is getting way out of hand are right, its out of hand that we even pay any mind to this at all.

people need to freakin relax.

and not shopping at a store because of that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.

also i know someone mentioned the big corps like best buy walmart future shop..

did u know best buy owns future shop? interesting isnt it! so not shopping at best buy and going to future shop instead, you're giving the same people your money when u thought u were boycotting one!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Best Buy can eat my shorts! I will shop elsewhere. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This PC stuff is really out of hand. I think it's evil! I am very offended by this, and I was going to buy a TV at Best Buy, but if they don't say "Merry Christmas" to me, I won't buy anything in their store! The majority of our country is Christian, so why are they worried about offending the minority? If I went to an Arab country, I wouldn't expect them to say Merry Christmas to me. Majority rules!

Matthew 10
32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. (NIV)

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueangel7
If I went to an Arab country, I wouldn't expect them to say Merry Christmas to me. Majority rules!

Your anoalogy doesn't apply because no one is saying Happy Holidays, Happy Kwanzaa, or Happy Solstice, either. They are not choosing to say these rather than Merry Christmas. Rather, a more inclusive Happy Holidays which is ultimately a different way of saying Merry Christmas.

Quite frankly, I'm doubting anyone would be reprimanded for saying Merry Christmas, but it shows thoughtfulness to not go and assume that I am Christian and celebrate Christmas just because you do and the majority do. I get wished a Merry Christmas all the time. Does it bother me? Somewhat, yes, because I don't celebrate it and I'm not Christian. I generally laugh at the assumption, but it's a curious thing, that.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wonder when they will stop taking money from christian's.. Bet they wont do that, eh.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Best Buy can eat my shorts! I will shop elsewhere. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Wow, don't have a cow man! It's only advertising. Aye carumba!

Hail Satan!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
How is that an issue?

They didn't stop taking money from people who celebrate things other than Christmas before this decision.

Flawed logic. No, not even flawed. Just straight out illogical.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic
I'm going off what the person I quoted said, and what some of my friends at Best Buy have also said. Also Lowe's has a policy where employees can not say Merry Christmas unless someone says it to them first.. Which brings me back to my point that I think that such restrictions are going too far.

I think the thing is to just go in to Best Buy or Lowe's and see what they say to you.

I called both stores and asked the Customer Service rep's what their policy was regarding wishing customers Merry Christmas. Here is what I got:

Best Buy: "Yep. We're not allowed to say Merry Christmas."
Me: "Well, I'll just go to Circuit City from now on."
Best Buy: "You're one of many that has called and said so."

Lowes: "We're not allowed to give that information out, sir."
Me: "You can't tell me what the store policy is?"
Lowes: ( sternly) "We're not allowed to give that information out, sir."

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Me: "Well, I'll just go to Circuit City from now on."
Best Buy: "You're one of many that has called and said so."

If I were the Best Buy employee the conversation would have gone something like this:

You: "Well, I'll just go to Circuit City from now on."
Best Buy: "Good, don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

We really need to lighten up as a nation.

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is a bit rediculous don't you think? Boycotting a store based on holiday policy? What if Best Buy has a great deal on TVs shaped like the Virgin Mary?

Anyone who actually spends their time concerning themselves with such trivial things really needs to get a life. And anyone who calls the store to get a confirmation about such trivial matters may better spend their time:
Volunteering at a soup kitchen
Donating to the salvation army
Building houses for Habitat for Humanity.

Maybe then they will realize what actually matters about this season, and not getting in a huff about nothing.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
If I were the Best Buy employee the conversation would have gone something like this:

And that's why you'll probably never be able to get a job in retail, Dr. Love. Your holiday 'people skills' would get ya' booted the first day of the season.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Maybe then they will realize what actually matters about this season ...

CHRIST is what matters most. But He has been forgotten even though it's HIS birthday party. What kind of people go to a birthday party and forget the fella having the birthday?

The kind that go and say .. hey, it's just a birthday party and we all can celebrate even though we refuse to acknowledge the fella whos' birthday it is.

Would any of you dare to

1 - crash a birthday party
2 - then ignore the person who the celebration was for
3 - not bring a gift to Him
4 - but have the gall to help yourself to his birthday cake?

That's what anyone does who says 'Happy Holiday' instead of 'Merry Christmas'. It's pretty darn rude to the fella having the birthday. Bad manners!

And no one bother telling me that it's not really the date of His birthday. That doesn't matter. What matters is that His birthday is being celebrated on that day.

[edit on 11/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
contradiction ftw!!!!

haha, this thread is damn hilarious. nuff said.

ps: where does Sandy Claws fall into the whole Christs bday celebration?

never seen so many people uptight all because of what some craptastic store does or doesnt do. get ovah it imo.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
FF, you do realize it isn't Christ's birthday right?

It's been said at least a dozen times.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
CHRIST is what matters most. But He has been forgotten even though it's HIS birthday party. What kind of people go to a birthday party and forget the fella having the birthday?

To you. Not to me or my family or plenty of other families.

We're not going to the party, frankly, some of us don't even think the party exists, so what's being forgotten?

Would any of you dare to

1 - crash a birthday party
2 - then ignore the person who the celebration was for
3 - not bring a gift to Him
4 - but have the gall to help yourself to his birthday cake?

That's what anyone does who says 'Happy Holiday' instead of 'Merry Christmas'. It's pretty darn rude to the fella having the birthday. Bad manners!

What are you talking about?

My, or anyone else, saying Happy Holidays is not crashing a party, not ignoring the recipient of said party, not witholding a gift, and also not partaking of cake.

You believe what you want, but how can you justify accusing others of the above things when perhaps they don't share the same beliefs as you? That's bad manners, and it's also ignorance to assume that I believe the same thing as you, or I should. It's ignorant to assume I'm Christian and to greet me by saying "Merry Christmas." Just as it'd be ignorant of me to assume you share my beliefs.

Ya, well "his" birthday isn't the only thing being celebrated. Now, if you want your Merry Christmas, then are you going to give, specifically, Happy Kwanzaa? Happy Ramadan? Happy Diwali! Happy Hannukah! Or are those the ones you want wrapped up in "Happy Holidays"?

Question:

How many non-Christians have a problem with this decision?

Happy Holidays, all!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think that't the sond of crickets chirping.

No one should care about this. I wonder how many people are upset that they don't close on Sunday?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
After all he and the chinese communist party created Political Correctness!!! As for Best Buy, I will never buy a product from them again as long as I live. I will never give up my rights to shop at a crappy one size fits all junk store.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
/golf clap

I realised Best Buy was teh suck loooooong loooooong before this haha.

ps: Frys Electronics is Satan.

All Hail newegg.com!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And anyone who calls the store to get a confirmation about such trivial matters may better spend their time:
Volunteering at a soup kitchen
Donating to the salvation army
Building houses for Habitat for Humanity.

And anyone who is presumptuous to think they know how others spend their time would be better off not showing their ignorance by making such suggestions. Practice what you preach, and if you think the issue is so minor, don't waste your time posting.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join