It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed

I guess the real question is would we feel secure and free enough to celebrate our beliefs in a Muslim country? Would we get the same respect in Iran if we showed up as Santa at their local Best Buy. Dipped in acid is what we would get.

The muslims show up in Burkas and Turbins here at my Local Best Buy. I find that offensive as they are pushing their beliefs on me by wearing their version of the Santa Suit.

The point here -----------------------------------------------------------------Perplexed here.

:shk:

Edit to add: This post was very Christian.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Plus, I dont want to hear Merry Christmas. It's an insult to my lord Satan. As a matter of fact, it's good business on their part. If I heard it, I'd walk right out of the store, and accross the street to Circuit City, where they respect me by saying Happy Holidays.

*EDIT* to satisfy your lord Satan?

Mod Edit: Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia are strictly forbidden.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Glad someone can appreciate humor.

I have no problem with whatever one says to me. As a servant, I gladly oblige to anyone.
God Bless is all I need say.
Though, I must say... I should like to know the consequences of the employee at Best Buy who says "Merry Christmas" and an incognito chair-person of Best Buy catches that person.
Would they rationalize to the employee that it is for their "protection" or would they get snippy?
Also, if anyone was to truly believe in a Merry Christmas, then why would they fear saying it if it was their conviction?
It would seem this rule was made knowing full-well that it was going to be broken by many. Therefore, I would think the consequences are actually instances the people-in-charge are hoping to encounter. Or, it could be reverse pscyhology, and Best Buy wants more people to say Merry Christmas in a rebellious effort to vandalize the spirit of Christmas and force Christmas and the people who celebrate it into looking like a bunch of children who whine about rules instead of following them in meekness. Or maybe Best Buy just thought that Wal-Mart is a sissy and tried their hand at the blackjack table.

My guess... fold.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneMyrmidon

*EDIT* to satisfy your lord Satan?

I don't even know what that means exactly. Except for being a great example of the horrible effects of drugs.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is Massive discrimination !!

Best Buys deserves to lose Tonnes of Business.

If Moslems working for Best Buy where banned from saying " Happy Ramadan ", it would result in 50 churches being burnt down, 200 westerners having there face bashed in and 50 Nuns shot in the Head. Not to mention Best Buys would get sued and would lose the case.

It seems to me, that people whom make the Decisions are trying to make these different groups hate each other, it seems to be working, thats the conspiracy!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Actually Numbers, I haven't seen anyone get more riled up about this than you so far. As a matter of fact, everyone seems to be taking this pretty lightly, and with good reason.

Relax pal, it's Best Buy, and it's only Christmas. It's not like they're messing with a good Holiday, like Boxing Day, or Canadian Independance Day

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I guess the real question is would we feel secure and free enough to celebrate our beliefs in a Muslim country? Would we get the same respect in Iran if we showed up as Santa at their local Best Buy. Dipped in acid is what we would get.

The muslims show up in Burkas and Turbins here at my Local Best Buy. I find that offensive as they are pushing their beliefs on me by wearing their version of the Santa Suit.

The point here -----------------------------------------------------------------Perplexed here.

:shk:

Edit to add: This post was very Christian.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by intrepid]

Here is the point intrepid. There are over 1911 items at www.bestbuy.com that have the lable Christmas and we as the consumer must wonder if we are secure in ourselves enough to hear happy ramadan or happy kawanza? Give me a break... I know, its the PC thing to stifle our traditions. Gald you are happy with it... Merry Christmas or Happy Ramadan or Jihad or whatever your flavor of the week is.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Perplexed]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Actually Numbers, I haven't seen anyone get more riled up about this than you so far. As a matter of fact, everyone seems to be taking this pretty lightly, and with good reason.

Relax pal, it's Best Buy, and it's only Christmas. It's not like they're messing with a good Holiday, like Boxing Day, or Canadian Independance Day

Just when did Canada declare Independance from the US ?

Yah ill relax, in perspective its only Best Buy, what sort of ferals shop there anyways.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Now I remember why I dislike most people

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Merry What?!?

You know, for a holiday that's supposed to celebrate peace on earth and good will toward men, I'm sure not seeing a hell of a lot of it in this thread.

No matter what beliefs we may hold, they can be poisoned by fear, ignorance and intolerance.

I'm not going to point any fingers (and I ask my fellow members to try to follow suit), but if you look into your heart, what do you see?

Does this story make you angry? Does it make you afraid? Does it make you just want to throw up your hands in frustration?

If so, then whatever Christmas spirit there might be is lost to you.

Whatever the politics of the day might be, the only power anyone has over your soul is that which you give to them.

My advice: don't let stories like this yank your chain. Don't let fear or hatred consume you. Don't lose sight of what's important.

A little love goes a long way, and the more you give it away, the more it comes back to you.

If enough of us remember that and put it into practice, then it won't really matter what we call it, because we will be able to see beyond our differences, realize that we are all brothers and sisters and put aside all those many terrible things we no longer need.

There is no problem love cannot solve.

Love is all we need, and I pray that each of you who reads this message feels it in your heart and remembers what is most important of all.

Love.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You know why we are basically being forced into such things? I'll tell you why. We have all these so-called christians who are attempting to force their ways upon everyone and in many facets of life. Just one big example is the idiot Pharmacist who attempted to enforce his beliefs in the workplace upon a customer who was looking to purchase birth-control for herself and was denied service because he felt it was morally wrong. Just give me what I want moron and shut the hell up! Its a shame people had to take it so far that drastic measures had to be taken and the moderate people lose out on the deal. Many of you will say Merry Christmas to someone merely for the fact that it satisfies your beliefs and without consideration of someone elses beliefs.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don't see why it's so bad, they are just acting childish.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by wildcat]

To fix 2 typos

[edit on 27-11-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Would we get the same respect in Iran if we showed up as Santa at their local Best Buy. Dipped in acid is what we would get.

So you've visited Iran during Christmas to make this comment, right? If not, then i suggest you research into "Baba Christmas" (Father Christmas) or "Baba Noel" (Father Noel), and you will see how Santa is viewed in Iran.

To everyone who thinks Best Buy employees wont say "Merry Christmas," I can gurantee you if you say it to them first, they will reply with the same. All I see written in the article is that they're now saying "Happy Holidays" to incorporate other people's holidays as well. For Christians, being considerate and generous should not elude you in this topic, especially when being considerate to other faiths and their holidays.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
:O Best Buy is an anagram for Bey Stub! That's almost like... Baalzebub!
Best Buy's the devil!

pshhh.
"I'm an idiot"

[edit on 27-11-2006 by TarzanBeta]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
You know why we are basically being forced into such things? I'll tell you why. We have all these so-called christians who are attempting to force their ways upon everyone and in many facets of life. Just one big example is the idiot Pharmacist who attempted to enforce his beliefs in the workplace upon a customer who was looking to purchase birth-control for herself and was denied service because he felt it was morally wrong. Just give me what I want moron and shut the hell up! Its a shame people had to take it so far that drastic measures had to be taken and the moderate people lose out on the deal. Many of you will say Merry Christmas to someone merely for the fact that it satisfies your beliefs and without consideration of someone elses beliefs.

No its not that the christian man is tryin to impose his will on youl. My problem is this is a tradition that has been aound. Why do we need to change it to not offend someone. Hell its a federal holiday that we observe the others arent. People who get offened because of stuff like this is a very very small percentage.

And with the pharmacist he should be able to do whatever he wants in his business. If he owns it he should hav ethe personal freedom to deny service to anyone no matter what the reason is.

Oh and a side note. Ive worked with best buy for awhile. Last year this was the policy also but the one song that played all throught dec. was a song about christ being born and had a chorus of like "praise jesus this day" or something. I know why best buy is doin this to please a very small minority then repeal it next year beecause of the bad press. If anyone complains thye can say they at least tried it. Exactly what wal-mart did.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
What makes me mad is that as an employee i cant say what i want to say without being repremanded. I want to say Merry Christmas because hats what i celebrate and what 90% of the customer base i sell too celebrates. Whats wrong with that. I feel uncomfortable saying happy holidays

I think this is the issue on this thread. Whether you are Christian or not...does Best Buy have the right to control what you say as an employee when it comes to a non-racial, non-sales, and non work related behavior? Do you have the right to say Merry Christmas in this country at work or no? Have we decided that wishing people happy or merry (insert holiday here) is offensive to more than a small minority of people? If Christmas is bad, is Halloween next? How many freedom of speech rights do you give up as employee just to keep a job?

Sure you could just quit working at Best Buy, but if Best Buy can restrict your speech, what is stopping our own jobs or schools from stopping us from expressing "a term of goodwill" to another? Is wishing non-religious people a religious greeting an act of assault? If someone says "F-U" in traffic and you hear it, is it the same as if they had said "Merry Christmas"? Is the intent of the saying to hurt people? Is anyone really that devestated over a greeting of goodwill?

I don't care if your store prefers you say Happy Holidays, but you should have the free will to wish others Merry Christmas and they can wish me a Happy Hanakkuh or whatever as long as it's meant in goodwill...

Reprimanding people for acts of goodwill seems a lot worse to me than any offense by wishing someone the wrong holiday greeting. This is what happens when $$$ and lawsuits begin to decide our way of life instead of human character

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic

I think this is the issue on this thread. Whether you are Christian or not...does Best Buy have the right to control what you say as an employee when it comes to a non-racial, non-sales, and non work related behavior?

Um, can someone point out to me in the article where they are BANNING the use of merry christmas? They said they weren"t going to use it in their Advertising. I didn't read anywhere that they said their employees were prohibited from using it. Choosing to use happy holidays instead of merry xmas in ADVERTISING is a far cry from prohibiting your employees from saying it. The title to this thread is biased.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well I guess this mean I will not buy anything from best buy.

hit them where it hurts, their pockets.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
i wonder what Jesus would have said... maybe...

Luke 18:22 (Whole Chapter)
Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Proverbs 19:17 (Whole Chapter)
He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

So instead of bickering about something so trivial as saying happy holidays or merry christmas, perhaps you will use this season to not indulge yourself and your loved ones in the exchange of gifts, but to give it away to people who have absolutely nothing.

That's what Jesus would of wanted right?

Christians arguing about using the words happy holidays and merry christmas as if it means something, while at the same time thier in those stores floundering thier money on things that will be destroyed by God, and God's going to ask why you buy all those vain things instead of giving it to feed the billions that are poor and hungry?

And your answer will be? It's Christmas time?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

And with the pharmacist he should be able to do whatever he wants in his business. If he owns it he should hav ethe personal freedom to deny service to anyone no matter what the reason is.

Just so you know it was NOT his own business it was a large drug store chain like Eckerd, Walgreens, Rite Aid. If it was his own business I'd say more power to him but he was just a measly employee of a company. It was not his place to insert his own moral beliefs into company policy. If it was his store, then I'd agree he would be within his rights, albeit an awful businessman, but this wasn't the case. this happened within the past year and it was all over the news.

Agreeing with something like this should be something to be considered as setting a bad precedence. Maybe in the future you will go to a Ball Game order a all beef hot dog and recieve a tofu one instead because the pimpley faced kid behind the counter is a vegetarian or perhaps the local Mcdonalds with the Satanist drive-through cashier wants to sanctify everyones food with goats blood. Ones personal beliefs should stay that way...personal.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join