It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Bans Use Of Merry Christmas In Stores

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I don't even remember where I got this from, it's just saved in a wordpad document from several years ago. But here it is. The most politically correct "Merry Christmas" ever:

Wow, funny stuff man lol i seriously lmao at this

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What makes me mad is that as an employee i cant say what i want to say without being repremanded. I want to say Merry Christmas because hats what i celebrate and what 90% of the customer base i sell too celebrates. Whats wrong with that. I feel uncomfortable saying happy holidays

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Plus, I dont want to hear Merry Christmas. It's an insult to my lord Satan. As a matter of fact, it's good business on their part. If I heard it, I'd walk right out of the store, and accross the street to Circuit City, where they respect me by saying Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas offends you, buy Happy Holi(Holy)days is OK? Whatever.

Anyway, replacing Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays is just like the attempt to turn jungles into rainforests. PC run amuk!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I repeat .. you can't be a part of Christmas without acknowledging the reason Christmas is celebrated ... CHRIST.

Sure we can! We're celebrating Christmas whether you give us permission or not. Whether we celebrate for the same reasons you do or not.

Um .. yes we do.

How do you OWN a holiday?

No they don't. That's impossible. They may get into a secular gift giving frenzy .. but they aren't celebrating CHRISTmas.

Again, maybe not in your mind, but in theirs, they certainly are celebrating Christmas.

You may not understand how people who aren't Christians can celebrate Christmas, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. It's happening, regardless of how you deny it.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Plus, I dont want to hear Merry Christmas. It's an insult to my lord Satan. As a matter of fact, it's good business on their part. If I heard it, I'd walk right out of the store, and accross the street to Circuit City, where they respect me by saying Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas offends you, buy Happy Holi(Holy)days is OK? Whatever.

For the last time, I was making a Joke. It was an attempt to make fun of Best Buy's plan to exclude Satanists from shopping at their store.

I SAID I WORSHIPPED SATAN, PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!!
(not that it's any worse than worshipping Jesus)

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Much as I dispise the desire for companies to be PC in order not to offend anybody I fail to see what the up roar over this is. I don't need Best Buy to wish me a Merry Christmas in order to feel comfortable at Midnight Mass. The reason for the season is best found in your own heart. This is my favorite time of the year and yes I do enjoy giving my family and friends gifts but on the other hand I will give gifts year round if I find something that I believe the recipiant will love. Christmas is the time we officially remember the birth of the Christ Child but wouldn't the world be better off if we carried Christmas with us year round.

Shakespere said it best "Much ado about nothing".

Merry Christmas to all here.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Click below for a list of the 1,911 items available searching for Christmas at the Best Buy web site.

If they are going to ban it then they should. This is false advertising and offends the little devils here and everywhere.

Click Here

These management types will do anything to look uttlery foolish!

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Perplexed]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Since when do people go to Best Buy to worship. Happy Christmas...Merry Holiday..who cares. They should just wish a traditional pagan saying after all..is that not what Christmas is? The same people that are up in arms over this issue are the same ones walking into Best Buy and dropping boat loads of cash on this consumer driven holiday. These are the same people who are running up the credit cards on useless crap while our brothers and sisters are dying due to a lack of food. Wow thats might Christian of them.

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
What makes me mad is that as an employee i cant say what i want to say without being repremanded. I want to say Merry Christmas because hats what i celebrate and what 90% of the customer base i sell too celebrates. Whats wrong with that. I feel uncomfortable saying happy holidays

Unless you work in a christian bookstore how could you possibly know the religious beliefs of your customer base? Do you go by looks? How do you know a Jew from a gentile? Not all Jews wear yamulkas and not all Muslims have beards and wear robes or hijabs. I wonder how you would feel if every customer that walked in your door were to wish you a Happy Hanukah or Eid. Pretty sure after a while you would not be a happy camper if you are so Christian that merely saying Happy Holidays makes you feel uncomfortable. If you are unhappy with your company policy there is always the self-employed route or if your religious convictions are that high I would definitly quit my job if it bothers you that much.
Unfortunately for you, you are just the hired help and the customer(s) is/are who matters in this case.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
We're celebrating Christmas whether you give us permission or not.

To celebrate CHRISTmas you must celebrate the reason for it .. CHRIST and His birth. No Christ = No Christmas. It's just that simple.

Whether we celebrate for the same reasons you do or not.

NOPE. Secular humanists going on wild shopping sprees is NOT a celebration of Christmas. It's a faux celebration of consumerism and greed run amuk.

How do you OWN a holiday?

It's a CHRISTIAN holiday. CHRISTIAN. The whole meaning is to celebrate a CHRISTIAN moment and CHRIST.

It's happening, regardless of how you deny it.

No it's not happening, regardless of how you claim it to be.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Since everyone and their grandma replied to this, I figured I would.
As a christian, I have a few points:

1) The exclusion of ANY holiday other than Chanukah, Passover, and Easter, would be perfectly fine with me. We don't know exactly when Jesus was born. If God felt it was that important, HE WOULD HAVE TOLD US IN THE BIBLE.

2) There are so many holy days this time of year that it would be pointless to be for or against Merry Christmas OR Happy Chanukah OR Merry Kwanzaa, or whatsoever be it. It's not just one person in a suit justifying his/her salary. Ask the CEO of Best Buy. Guarantee he/she is Jewish or Christian, atleast in heritage.

3) Christmas will have a strong rise back to power soon enough anyway. A lot of "christians" will be getting exactly what they want pretty soon - unfortunately, it's gonna be in the face of ignorance. Christmas is a holiday for satan, not God. (seems there is someone in this thread who understands that [I worship Satan for Christ's sake]).

4) This whole useless argument, as some have so cruelly perceived, is a way for the devil to cause more havok, as one other pointed out. Bickering about this and that... let' the non-christians celebrate Christmas - it IS THEIR HOLIDAY. Judeo-Christians are supposed to keep the Sabbath holy (and the Sabbath is SATURDAY), observe Passover, celebrate Chanukah if one wishes, and for Christians, to observe Easter(Ishtar).

To observe: to give oneself to an account, event, or happening.

God Bless.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
1) The exclusion of ANY holiday other than Chanukah, Passover, and Easter, would be perfectly fine with me. We don't know exactly when Jesus was born. If God felt it was that important, HE WOULD HAVE TOLD US IN THE BIBLE.

Actually some scholars, scientists, and astronomers have figured out the specific date. There was a special on the History Channel last year during Christmas that did the study on it. They pin-pointed exactly where Earth would have been and where the star (the wisemen followed) would be in the constelations. After some research, they've concluded that Jesus was born on April 17th 06 BC.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Interesting, and appreciated.
However, if God intended for this to be celebrated, He would have told us.
SOMEONE would have told us.
As far as relying on what their calculations and all that stuff... I may look into it, but I have no faith in a science that claims the universe is billions of years old, and YET claims to figure out the same day of the birth of our Lord in the flesh.

A clear antonym.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Interesting, and appreciated.
However, if God intended for this to be celebrated, He would have told us.
SOMEONE would have told us.

That's a damn good point. Where in scripture did Christ tell us to celebrate his birth? The only thing I remember from scripture was to remember his sacrifice. The Last Supper, "Keep doing this, in rememberance of me".

As I pointed out before, the festival of Saternalia(Roman holiday of the Sun, not Son). Also like I said, it's been years since I studied theology. I could be wrong.

So why are we getting all worked up about a holiday that's draped in paganism anyways?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
As I pointed out, I wanted to join the fun.

Some rational input is deserving, right...?
If Best Buy has something I want and I'm not required to observe the mark of the beast, then I think I'll probably buy it (when financially permissible).

Although, it is interesting you say April 14th... that would mean that eventually Easter would fall on His birthday...?

[edit on 27-11-2006 by TarzanBeta]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The only reason Best Buy did this is because they wanted to make a point. What that point is I have yet to figure out. All they really had to do was leave it alone. Are they really that fascist that they are going to tell their employees not to say Merry Christmas?

What about Happy Thanks Giving? Do they say that? I am utterly offended that they would even consider the encourgment or the idea of whacking Tom..

I am going to be doing some Christmas shopping this weekend. I am going to swing buy Best Buy and see how many employees I can get to say Merry Christmas as I shop for a few things. I'll bet most will slip up and reply with a Merry Christmas if I tell them Merry Christmas first. If more than half do I will spend money there. If not I will leave my cart full of greed and take my Euros to Circut City just down the street.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
To celebrate CHRISTmas you must celebrate the reason for it .. CHRIST and His birth. No Christ = No Christmas. It's just that simple.

This sounds like the kind of logic a 4th grader would use on the play ground.
Just an FYI for ya, I have celebrated CHRISTmas for years now not acknoledging the birth of Christ as I believe the holiday does the true meaning of his existance a disservice.

If you study the history of the holiday, it was put into place by the Romans as a way to merge Christians with Pagans peacefully within the empire (someone mentioned this earlier in the thread). So, as was illustrated for you before - You don't own Christmas. It is a day, or a time of year. Some people are in it for the Christian faith aspects. Some people are in it for the presents. Others, for the food & drink of for fellowship of men & women (me included). The attitude you portray above seeks to alienate others who dont share your beliefs during a time of giving and fellowship - very Christian of you.
What message are you trying to convey? You cannot participate in Christmas in any way if you dont believe as I do??

Best Buy has the meaning of Christmas in mind by including everyone who have cherished holidays during this time of year. Personally, I dont give a crap whether someone says Merry Xmas, Christmans, Happy Hollidays, or any other damn thing. It all means the same deep down - kind of like religion. Unfortunately, there are people who refuse to accept this and wont even consider the alternative. Benevolant Heretic said it best earlier in this thread.

On the flip side, I think it is alos absurd to BAN the use of the phrase Merry Christmas worrying it would offend people. But let me ask you this: As a Christian would you be offended if a Muslim were to wish you a happy ramadan? Or what about a Jewish person wishing you a happy hannekeu (I am not even going to try and spell this)? How about happy kwanza? Are you secure enough with your own self to accept this as good will regardless of who is saying it?

[edit on 27-11-2006 by LogansRun]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

If Best Buy has something I want and I'm not required to observe the mark of the beast, then I think I'll probably buy it (when financially permissible).
[edit on 27-11-2006 by TarzanBeta]

LOL, Milk through the nose when I read that one! Man I love this site...

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
But let me ask you this: As a Christian would you be offended if a Muslim were to wish you a happy ramadan? Or what about a Jewish person wishing you a happy hannekeu (I am not even going to try and spell this)? How about happy kwanza? Are you secure enough with your own self to accept this as good will regardless of who is saying it?

[edit on 27-11-2006 by LogansRun]

Wow man, well said. Do we understand the significance of those holidays? Probably not. Would we appreciate the intent? Not around here by the looks of it. :shk:

I'm rethinking. Again, well said.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
But let me ask you this: As a Christian would you be offended if a Muslim were to wish you a happy ramadan? Or what about a Jewish person wishing you a happy hannekeu (I am not even going to try and spell this)? How about happy kwanza? Are you secure enough with your own self to accept this as good will regardless of who is saying it?

I guess the real question is would we feel secure and free enough to celebrate our beliefs in a Muslim country? Would we get the same respect in Iran if we showed up as Santa at their local Best Buy. Dipped in acid is what we would get.

The muslims show up in Burkas and Turbins here at my Local Best Buy. I find that offensive as they are pushing their beliefs on me by wearing their version of the Santa Suit.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join