It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Atom?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
About a year ago I saw a programme on BBC about a number of ways the world could end.
It was a docu-drama and in one part a scientist created some atom/molecule etc. that attracted everthing in the universe to it and then everything just dissapeared into nothingness!Does anyone know if this is possible?

[edit on 26-11-2006 by CrimsonLotus]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well if it was possible would you be here asking questions about it or would the entire universe be getting ready for the second big bang?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I don't see how you can have an atom that does that. Maybe if someone created a powerful black hole in their lab, it'd suck everything into it.

I recall hearing that, in the extremely early and theoretical days of nuke weapons, some people were worried that setting off a nuke bomb might cause a chain reaction with non-radioactive atoms around it, causing them to split like the radioactive ones, and that this could spread to, say, vapourize the entire atmosphere, etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I think someone has mistaken Startrek Voyager as a newscast :p

In there there is a molecule called Omega which had quite nasty properties like after stabilizing disrupting space and subspace in an area lightyears across.

If harnassed the molecule is able to power an entire civilization.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Some people have feared that large particle accelerators could create a mini black hole that would sink the center of the Earth and gobble it up, but I think most physicists say that's impossible.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Some people have feared that large particle accelerators could create a mini black hole that would sink the center of the Earth and gobble it up, but I think most physicists say that's impossible.

its the cern reacter that you talking about I think the first test is in 2007.I am kind of nervous about it.

public.web.cern.ch...

A strange subatomic particle produced in an atom-smashing experiment could, in theory at least, tumble to the centre of the planet and start eating the globe from the inside out.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Ibelive thair is other threads on this also.

[edit on 11-09-06 by slayerfan]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I remember the programme being broadcast on the BBC and it was a particle accelerator involved which indeed did create a black hole.

Was interesting to watch hopefully it doesnt happen though when testing begins as i too am nervous about it.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It is not possible.... you would be talking about something so massive, gravitational pull is the only force I know powerful enough to do this, that it would create a massive black hole. Its gravitational effects would effect everything near it, however it would not destroy the universe.

I dont believe it is possible to get anything that small so massive simply for the fact that it will just sink like a stone in space time.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Everything in the universe gravitationally attracts everything else universe yet the attraction drops of in an inverse square relationship ie. if you double the distance between the two objects the attraction quarters, if you move them five times further appart the attraction is 25 times smaller etc... Also the mass of a single atom is too small, theoretically at least, and it would have to be a neutron star or something. Even then the whole thing is totally inpractical and could never happen.

Also guys there is NO REASON to be worried about the collisions in CERN. Yes its possible that "mini black holes" as they have been called could be created but these will not act in any way like an actual black hole. And anyway, the collisions that will take place in CERN take place on earth all the time. The only difference is that they are being performed in a controlled atmosphere where the outcome can be measured.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
Also guys there is NO REASON to be worried about the collisions in CERN. Yes its possible that "mini black holes" as they have been called could be created but these will not act in any way like an actual black hole. And anyway, the collisions that will take place in CERN take place on earth all the time. The only difference is that they are being performed in a controlled atmosphere where the outcome can be measured.

I would like to second that

All this talk of dooms day due to a black hole sinking to the core of earth is purely based on science fiction, not fact. The micro black holes that would be produced would evaporate in less than 100'000th of a second.

Anyway...

You may want to learn more about the lhc at cern, so without further a do here you are....

CERN - LHC

Anyhow, the universe is not going to be destroyed by any super massive particle. That is 100% sure.

The way the universe as we know it will end, is by the unravelling of all matter and energy to return to a flat base state known as point zero.

Nothing to worry about though ey??

all the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Neon Haze]

top topics

join