It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are The Odds of Dying?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
source:
www.nsc.org...

Heart Disease 1 in 5
Alcohol Poisoning 1 in ~10,000

Funny how the odds are lower when human negligence is involved rather
than Natural events such as an Earthquake or hurricane!

Example
Heart Disease can be prevented (not eliminated) by eating right and exercise
so the 1 in 5 figure can be changed

Hot weather killing you? 1 in ~13,000
Lightning 1 in ~79,000

[edit on 11/26/2006 by a1ex]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Heh, this reminds me of the very similar chart in my dentist's office, next to the x-ray machine. It's supposed to reassure people that the machine is safe, because dying from exposure to the amount of x-rays the machine puts out is millions to one, or something like that.

I'm actually quite surprised by some of those numbers. Almost 1% of people commit suicide? That's pretty high, a lot higher than I thought. The 'legal execution' one seems pretty high, too; I'd have to figure out what that translates into executions per year, though, for it to mean more to me. The 'alcohol blood poisoning' one seems low, as I expected more people to die from this.

Given my family history, I'll bet I go the way of 'heart disease, 1 in 5'.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
How's that for an eye-opener. The one thing I do see missing is the stats for old age. Does a heart giving out from old age count as heart disease?

Something to ponder. Interesting post, though.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
According to a medical journal I read once, several years ago, I'd have to say that the odds of dying are 100%.

I don't remember the name of the doctor that I read in that journal, but I'll paraphrase here:
"I hate to break the news to everybody, but I've done the research. EVERYBODY dies. I say this so that some of you who always jog a mile every morning & who always eat your vegetables will occasionally sleep in & enjoy an ice cream cone."

See, it's all a matter of perspective...

[edit on 28-11-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It,s interesting that the death figures from AIDS are missing too.Considering the VAST amounts being thrown into '' research ''..

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You made me remember a Quote from a movie:

"You are useless, until you realize you are going to die"

I think its from the fight Club soundtrack but I can't recall the exact quote...

So yeah it's all about perspective agreed.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I read somewhere in one of those uncle johns bathroom reader books that you have a better chance of falling out of your bed and dieing than you do of winning the lottery.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
To die will be a beautiful thing, 'tis a pity we have to suffer life before the event.

I guess old age, well 40yrs old and no belief in politics or religion as they are both crimes in my book, led me to write the first line.

Wolfie

new topics

top topics

join