It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I Just had a crazy dream!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The other night i was having a dream about playing the guitar, i am a guitar player, so i wasn't surprised that i was having such a dream.

In the dream i was playing "Just What I Need" by The Cars.

In real life i have never attempted to learn this song, but the dream was so vivid that when i woke up i could remember what frets i was playing the song on in my dream.

Right now you might be saying whats crazy about that, but heres where it gets interesting.

When i woke up i went straight to my guitar and began to play the song the way i was playing it in the dream.

When i began to play the song, it is exactly the way you play the song in real life!

This is not a joke, this dream really got me freaked out.

How the heck did i learn to play a song in my dream?

[edit on 26-11-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well I'm no expert, but I'd say it has something to do with your sub-concious level after hearing that song, your mind interpreted it durring sleep, therefore your memory somehow remembered the vivid strings to the song. There have been times I had a dream that I wish I could remember the details, your very lucky.

7A

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I would say you have the talent and fundamentals to play this song already, the dream did not provide that. The dream provided a great place for you to learn this song. Surely you could have sat there awake and taught yourself this song eventually, maybe you remember songs well once you have learned how to play them? It sounds to me like a combination of talent and intelligence working under the conditions of a dream. Those conditions provide a place of no risk, and confidence in yourself. Some go so far to say you are "tapped in" to your subconcious.

This type of thing is really cool and people strive to make their dreams useful like this, but rarely can recreate the occurance.

Also, perhaps you spent a long long time in your dream learning to play the song, but you only remember playing it! I find it believable what you have done, because it deals with a song, or a melody. These things are easier to remember than most things!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Since you already knew the chords to a guitar and knew what each note sounded like, your brain puts the song together and makes the music sheet in your mind. Same thing happens to me when I produce songs. I can hear a song once and play it again on the keyboard, even though I don't know how to play a keyboard.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Being a guitar player myself, as long as you keep the guitar well-tuned, songs can be learned from ear.

I'd say your brain knew the frets to play based on past experiences of playing those frets and remembering sub-consciously how those frets sound.

Don't be afraid, I once baked a cake in my dreams and woke up with a hankering for a muffin.....

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Were you listening to the radio when you were sleeping?

If you've got that song down on your guitar from a dream i'd say that you have a very good photographic memory. Good job

Try thinking about playing guitar before you sleep, and put on a song you've never played and press repeat. See if it has the same effect.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I have to agree with the above posters...you already knew how to play the guitar and just picked up the song, however unconsciously.

Now if you had never touched the guitar before in your life and woke up and played a perfect song, that would be weird!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
[edit on 26-11-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
Were you listening to the radio when you were sleeping?

If you've got that song down on your guitar from a dream i'd say that you have a very good photographic memory. Good job

Try thinking about playing guitar before you sleep, and put on a song you've never played and press repeat. See if it has the same effect.

No, i was not listening to the radio, the thing that's weird is that i hadn't even listened to that song for a good 2 weeks.

Funny how i'd dream of playing that song.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
Being a guitar player myself, as long as you keep the guitar well-tuned, songs can be learned from ear.

I'd say your brain knew the frets to play based on past experiences of playing those frets and remembering sub-consciously how those frets sound.

Don't be afraid, I once baked a cake in my dreams and woke up with a hankering for a muffin.....

Yeah, that's what i thought too. I can usually figure out songs by ear, so i'd say that would probably be the best theory.

I am still shocked that i remembered the dream so well.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I believe the subconscious mind can put information together in your dreams and if you remember your dreams, you can learn from it. I remember several occasions in the past where I played a rather long strategy war game. In my dream I continued playing but my subconscious was providing commentary on the best moves and tactics and how I could win the game and sometimes mistakes that were made that I did not realize earlier. If you think of your mind as a big computer program with two big parts consisting of your conscious and your subconscious minds, then your dreams merely connect the pieces together for you.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
People fail to realize the power of the mind.

Something similar has happened to me...many times.

One example however, a song I liked alot, but I did not know the lyrics to it. I heard it a few times, but could never understand all, or most of the lyrics.

One night I dreamt i was singing the song, word for word. Even the parts I couldn't understand for squat.

When I woke up...ta-da. I knew the entire song.

The mind is extremely powerful & alot of people fail to realize that.

top topics

join