It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which book of God rests on a Masonic Altar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This question should be simple enough to answer - I'm not really sure because I've never been to a lodge in a predominantly Muslim or other religion (Judaic for instance in Israel).

And it's never been very clear.

Must all lodges have the Holy Bible on its altars regardless of members, and have the various other books of the faith on its altars respecting other members of the lodges?

Or is it merely only the holy book of the members present (so an entirely muslim lodge has only the Qu'ran)?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I know that Freemasons will willingly allow you to take an oath on the book of your choice, to an extent. As far as the actual book's, I believe they use a Masonic Bible, Masonic Quayran, ect. I don't know whether there has been any changes to the book's, I'd imagine not?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The tradition is that the Holy Book on the alter should represent that of the majority of the members.

So far the only ones I've personally seen have been the King James version of the Holy Bible, and the Tora. Both of these were in American Lodges.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
A Mason is allowed to take his oaths on the Holy Book that he chooses. It can be a Bible, Torah, Koran...etc

We just had a new brother take it on a Gnostic bible and it was absolutly OK with everyone.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In England The Holy Bible must always be open during a lodge meeting. It is ceremonially opened at the beginning of the meeting and closed at the end.

In addition, candidates may take their obligation on the holy book which is used by their religion. In the majority of cases this is the Bible so no additional books are required. When a non-Christian candidate is admitted their book is open alongside the Holy Bible and they take their obligation on it.

Originally posted by thexsword
I know that Freemasons will willingly allow you to take an oath on the book of your choice, to an extent. As far as the actual book's, I believe they use a Masonic Bible, Masonic Quayran, ect. I don't know whether there has been any changes to the book's, I'd imagine not?

No, they are standard books. The Bibles are often extremely old, possibly having been owned by the lodge since its inception. Other books are usually either provided by the candidate or purchased OBO the candidate by the lodge as and when they might be needed.

Incidentally IMO the phrase Masonic Bible is confusing as it implies different content. This is not true, although it may have a bespoke cover and some specific info at the front. I've never heard the phrase "masonic qu'ran" at all, and I suspect freemasonry is not sufficiently popular in the Islamic world to merit such a thing.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
as the above stated clearly. Some US lodges I have seen at least one confuse this with being ONLY the holy bible can be used for oaths etc. Correct me if I am wrong but oaths can be used on any.

In a home mades scottish rite video on youtube it shows quran,torah,holy bible and I believe another holy doctrine, maybe hindu.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeht
as the above stated clearly. Some US lodges I have seen at least one confuse this with being ONLY the holy bible can be used for oaths etc. Correct me if I am wrong but oaths can be used on any.

I think this will depend on the rules set in each jurisdiction by each Grand Lodge. I can only speak for what I know.

In a home mades scottish rite video on youtube it shows quran,torah,holy bible and I believe another holy doctrine, maybe hindu.

Don't forget Scottish Rite is different. It's outside the Grand Lodge system and Blue Masonry and may do things differently. I know in the UK some appendant orders are Christian-only and therefore this discussion would be moot.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
That's what I wanted to know - there's degree work that suggests the Holy Bible is the Great Light in Masonry, that regardless of ones beliefs one should seek wisdom in its pages for there you shall find it.

I don't suggest this to mean that it is "Christian" or convertive in nature - the man who went before me as a Master Mason was a Muslim and still is.

Merely I wasn't sure the specific by law or laws etc that govern the presence of that book. It would make sense that the Lodge would require a Bible at least and then welcome the religions of others.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
From what I understand, there are some "Masonic" Bibles, which are bibles, but the footnotes make especial reference to masonic lore and teachings. So you can imagine the section on the building of the temple of solomon has, say, the KJV text, and then footenotes that refer to Hiram Abif and the traditions around him.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
From what I understand, there are some "Masonic" Bibles, which are bibles, but the footnotes make especial reference to masonic lore and teachings. So you can imagine the section on the building of the temple of solomon has, say, the KJV text, and then footenotes that refer to Hiram Abif and the traditions around him.

Sounds about right. The Bible itself would be entirely unaltered.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It depends on the Jurisdiction. In mine, only the Holy Bible may be used, regardless of the personal religious beliefs of the candidate.

new topics

top topics

join