It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy a real Fighter Jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hello all,

This is not usually my kind of post, but I want to know if it is possible to buy decommissioned military aircraft. I know this is possible to an extent, as I have seen private collections of 40's and 50's warplanes but I am more specifically thinking of F-14, for example.

I assume that the only eligible entity would be a museum, but would love to be corrected by someone who knows about these things.

Thanks..

[edit on 24/11/06 by SteveR]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
update: just ran into this on google..

www.takingaim.co.uk...

Unfortunately the link on that page doesn't work..

MBF

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Check out this site.

www.controller.com...

I wish that I had a lot of money, I would buy a few.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
SteveR, you're probably SOL in terms of getting your hands on an F-14 - I would think that any number of federal agencies would probably frown on that. The same probably holds true for most US-made fighters. You can probably get your hands on a T-38 trainer, per MBF's link above. Or, if you're willing to look for something on the other side of the Iron Curtain...

The Czech-made L-39 Albatros (see the Wikipedia link here, as well as links to an enthusiast site and several examples for sale) was introduced in '71 as a trainer and a light attack aircraft. There are about 2,800 in service with air forces worldwide, as well as about 250 privately owned models in the United States (I don't know if that's where you're located or not, but there you have it).

It's a pretty good-looking bird, in my opinion, and is pretty reasonably priced - at least as these things go, which means you'll still spend the equivalent of a nice house on one. But it is a bona-fide military aircraft, still in service around the globe - which would imply that spare parts and whatnot should be relatively easy to come by (again, as these things go) regardless of where your home airport might be.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Great guys! That helps alot, WATS to you.

Anyone know the laws/legalities of owning a decommissioned military craft?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well I've heard of guys who have bought MiG-21 and F-18

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Well I've heard of guys who have bought MiG-21 and F-18

To get an active service First World Country fighter plane is only going to be possible if the thing was declared a total loss and was to be scrapped. Even then, all the avionics and important stuff is stripped from the plane before it’s sold. You would basically get an unflyable empty shell, and I guarantee you that no-one is going to sell you the parts to get one flying. Even some of the parts that you can get on the open market are so expensive that no single person is going to own one of these things. A large aviation group might be able to buy, restore, and maintain one, but that is about it.

Here check a few of the prices that you can actually get at on this site, and you’ll see what I mean.

Korry Electronics

Some of the knobs run around $300, and that is just for he plastic knob, it does not even include the pot that goes behind it.

SteveR

Once you start talking jets, the cost goes through that roof. A normal aircraft is beyond what most people can afford to maintain on a monthly basis. Not only do you have to pay to store it, but also for fuel, overhauls (about every couple hundred hours), insurance, etc. The only thing that might be more expensive to maintain then a normal jet is a helicopter. Once you start getting into military stuff, even retired and foreign style aircraft, you end up with another problem, parts availability.

How about trying something like an X-Plane, its far more reasonable for most people and many have that same inline fighter cockpit feel.

Long EZ
VariEze

How about this one, it only runs about $69,500: P-51 Kitplane

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Thanks for the links, that's awesome. Personally I'd be more interested in the T51, the metal construction makes all the difference

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Personally I would not be upset if I owned either of those planes. The Comparison here, though makes a pretty good argument for the composite version of the aircraft. Speed, Range, features, climb rate, etc all seem superior in that model. Personally though I don’t really know the drawbacks of a composite airframe, to my understanding they are more flexible and just as tough. I suppose that they might be more prone to weathering and factors along those lines, but I have never owned one so I don’t really know.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
10 Years and 1300 jet flights later…….
Hawker Hunter ZU ATHI arrived in Cape Town in May 1995 flown by Mike Beachy Head and Brian Henwood. The arrival of the first Hunter, a two seat T8, symbolised the true beginning of Thunder City, which has since then grown into the world’s largest and most diverse civilian jet squadron with no less than twelve jets flying. The “Dazzling Dozen” is made up of 4 English Electric Lightnings, 3 Buccaneers and 5 Hunters. Since Mike and Brian flew in, Thunder City has flown over 1300 jet sorties and in 2004 saw record numbers arriving in the beautiful city of Cape Town to fly these pristine jet war birds.

[edit on 25/11/2006 by ShadowOrphan]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Seems the 70% scale P51 kit costs around $100,000 in total.. that initial price is kinda deceptive. I'd consider this far better value. I was specifically looking for thunderbolts though, but I can't find any on the market.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
www.controller.com...

Wow, that's something.

I have seen an F-5 on there aswell. I guess that answers my original question

[edit on 25/11/06 by SteveR]

new topics

top topics

join