It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live in the USA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Like many other people here on ATS I am not special but I live in the united states and I want to see a tighter crack down on criminals. I am not sure why people are saying that the united states is going to become a police state but the patriot act is intended to hunt down people which people are perceived to be the enemy of the states. There have been lots of attacks on the USA and lots of attempted attacks on the united states and if we didnt have any security measures to stop these attacks they could get out of hand.

I personally dont see what the big deal of a police state is. If someone is breaking the law the police should come and arrest them. If someone is planning a terrorist activity the police should stop them and they should be tried in court and put into jail.

People even though they are randomly thrown off the streets into jail sometimes, even if they go to jail sometimes, that doesnt happen very often, and if it werent for the patriot act we could be seeing a lot more terrorism and then a lot more people would be afraid of flying if we didnt install them.

We need a crack down on criminals, and also washington DC has one of the biggest crime rates in the country, and also, drunk driving laws have been set into place.

I dont see what's so bad about a few laws being put into place for security. Im glad the verichip bill didnt pass the fly but can someone tell me why the internet looks for reasons so that the united states cant be more secure?

We've had some serial killers in the past, timothy mcveigh, the man who fraimed O.J, etc.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" -- Benjamin Franklin

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Excellent quote,

People who don't realize that trading security for freedom is giving up the most basic constitunional rights that the very america they love and live in was founded for...needs to not even live here because they really don't know what it means to be an American citizen.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I dont think that you give up civil liberties but asking for security. We got attacked by a plane in 9-11 so what do the people want (they want more security). I'm saying something different. If we were to disabandon security measures we would leave our country wide open to all these terrorists attacks. If you were to come in to the country, say, that we didnt have the FBI, who would have known about the sniper who sniped down a middle school and put the word "GOD" on a bulliten to leave his mark, who would have known who he was if it werent for the FBI?

We have been living in some troubled times! The government should be quick to respond to threats. Not to take our civil liberties, but I'm not saying that the government should take away our civil liberties. All that I am asking is that I want to know why people dont see that some of these laws actually help us and that we havent been attacked on our home soil yet.

So isnt it good that we havent been attacked on our home soil yet? I would say that is good. It's not like we're going to be bombed. I dont think al-queda has much of a foothold on the US anymore, I think that europe is the one that should be worried.

If someone is a trouble maker they would be worried about these laws but I am not worried about them.

As long as we dont go into another national state of emergency we will have our civil liberties.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
Excellent quote,

People who don't realize that trading security for freedom is giving up the most basic constitunional rights that the very america they love and live in was founded for...needs to not even live here because they really don't know what it means to be an American citizen.

It doesn't mean much to be an american citizen when we have to travel in constant fear of terrorists... when families lose their dads because of some radical Islamic bastard.

But, again, I don't believe in giving up our rights for security, but I also don't believe in doing NOTHING.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's not about terrorism or criminals...

The steps taken today will not ward off the terrorists or criminals... it will only displace them/it.

It's about control. It's about slowly picking away at our constitution. It's about stripping the general populous of their unalienable and God given rights that our forefathers fought to put in place. It's about the countless US Soldiers that given their lives to fight to protect these freedoms and liberties.

[edit on 11/24/2006 by Infoholic]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt

Originally posted by Revelmonk
Excellent quote,

It doesn't mean much to be an american citizen when we have to travel in constant fear of terrorists... when families lose their dads because of some radical Islamic bastard.

But, again, I don't believe in giving up our rights for security, but I also don't believe in doing NOTHING.

No one is saying not to do anything and I for sure didn't say that, but when you got to the point where the Martial Law system, which includes the elimination of the Constitution of the United States through the patriot act and homeland security.

In which you can be taking by the federal goverment against your own will for

any type of crime the goverment deems as a terrorist threat and you will be denied

the rights to a lawyer, to a speedy trial, and EVEN not be told what are the crimes

are being charged against you, then it becomes a real problem. If you can't seem to
follow the yellow brick road and see where the future of the United States lies with
these types of laws then we have a serious problem.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
People die every day by violence in united states, what is the difference?
Since people die every day from violence in biger numbers than 911 I don't see why 911 is such a big deal, yes honor your victims but why go to the trouble of giving up liberty over security.
Since people die every day from drive by shootings , gang related activities, serial killers, mafia , and the list go's on and on, then I think by this caracteristics that regarding on what the curent administration in united states thinks , united states should of becomed a police state long ago, because any activity alone from this lists clames more lives daily than 911 clamed.
This can only be by logic a pretex, otherwise it does not make a point by logic.
It would not be logical to restrict freedoms now from 1 single event , when other events are far more biger in procentage and did not cause the loss of liberty.
There can be only one logical explenation, 911 has been planed to cause this out come.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
"The Constitution is not a suicide pact."
Justice Robert H. Jackson

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Id like to see less laws in this country. Less laws = Less criminals. You wouldent have the problem with crime if everything wasnt against the law now would you? Im not saying they take every law away keep the major ones like Murder, Rape, Robery Etc. and get the minor criminals out of the prisons. If a drunk driver kills someone he murdered someone now didnt he? There you go. But I don't want to live in a society where everything is a crime. Last I checked I lived in America I was born into the America that thought that freedom was a good thing nowadays looks like freedom is being taken away for security. Sorry I can secure myself I don't need the government to do that for me.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Honestly I see the state of the U.S as "poor vs well-off" (well off being 100 + a year).

I think a lot of people see things in the U.S. as going out of hand (I will say a lot but i can not say ALL). The war on the middle class (as Lou Dobbs puts it) is very real. The gap between the middle class and the poor is becoming much closer. There are more and more poor people popping up every year! WAKE UP! The division is becoming closer than you think. Soon enough it WILL be rich vs poor and it will be the dark ages all over again here in the 'land of the free'.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Techsnow]

new topics

top topics

join