It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakup of Canada - The next failed state??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Quebec is going just sliding towards the door. But much of Canada deals more with the US these days than it does with other parts of the country.

In fact a big announcement the other day was a trade pact between Alberta and British Columbia to remove barriers to trade and companies that operated in both provinces.

Gee it only took 100 years!

Quebec can't physically leave the country anyways can it?

We will always have good relations no matter what happens. I expect much of Quebec is scared on the US and its "imperialism.'

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
Quebec is going just sliding towards the door.

I don't see Harper allowing it. He will do whatever it takes to prevent this from happening. Duceppe made a motion, Harper countered. Duceppe motioned for Quebec to be a nation, Harper's counter consisted of Quebec being considered a nation within a united Canada. Oh the trickery!

Harper 1, Duceppe, 0.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by chissler]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What would happen if the provincial government of Canada just made a declaration that they were a nation-state without a referendum, expelled non-Quebecer federal officers, and began to seek international recognition?

What would the Canadian government do? Would there be war?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
What would happen if the provincial government of Canada just made a declaration that they were a nation-state without a referendum, expelled non-Quebecer federal officers, and began to seek international recognition?

Would such a move be possible?

I think it is a common misconception that most Quebecers want to separate from Canada. I firmly believe that the majority of Quebec wishes to remain a Canadian province. I'm not sure if it is a distinct majority, but a majority at least. The Bloc does well in provincial elections, and honestly, I don't see how they could not. They only run in Quebec and they preach for recognition of their citizens. How could you not vote for them?

This doesn't mean that everyone wants to separate, it just means that they would appreciate some acknowledgment. What Harper has accomplished here this week, should satisfy a vast majority of Quebec. Not sure how Duceppe feels about personally, but I believe the citizens of Quebec are satisfied.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Would such a move be possible?

Why not? That's pretty much how revolutions often begin.

It's what the U.S. did.

[edit on 11/25/2006 by djohnsto77]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join