It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakup of Canada - The next failed state??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Read some press lately of the possibility of the break-up of Canada..

The Next failed State

What is the possibility of this actually happening in the near future??

What are the ramifications for the US?

Are there any hidden powers driving this breakup?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If canada breaks up or not it really dose not matter we are all going to be part of the new north american union.

www.humanevents.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't think you guys REALLY REALLY know what this means... .. .. . .
First its Quebec.. next its Alberta, than it'll be Newfoundland.. than British Columbia, or Alberta and BC will join... ?? who knows..
but that means different laws, .. different 'ruling' powers .. it will be very interesting to say the least.. I think it would relieve a lot of pressure.. but where that relief will go is another question..

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Canada is solid as a rock. United from coast to coast.

We have recently recognized Quebec as a nation, within a united Canada. It is my hope that this movement will finally put an end to the separation movement.

Quebec is the only province that would ever push for separation. And they would only push for this due to the cultural differences. They could not manage on their own, they need us a lot more than we need them.

Border control? Currency? What about the loss of jobs when all of the government offices are yanked from the province? It just would not happen.

Alberta, why would they ever want to separate? Leave Canada and join arms with the United States?

No Canadian province could stand on its own two feet if it decided to separate and leave confederation.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

We have recently recognized Quebec as a nation, within a united Canada. It is my hope that this movement will finally put an end to the separation movement.

Quebec is the only province that would ever push for separation. And they would only push for this due to the cultural differences. They could not manage on their own, they need us a lot more than we need them.

Border control? Currency? What about the loss of jobs when all of the government offices are yanked from the province? It just would not happen.

Alberta, why would they ever want to separate? Leave Canada and join arms with the United States?

No Canadian province could stand on its own two feet if it decided to separate and leave confederation.

Alberta? with its oil? ........

BC with its access to the sea? .......

Newfoundland. ........ think about it.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I wouldn't be too sure about that, I'm sure Quebec will take every inch they can, but that doesn't mean they're going to stop fighting.

But, even if Quebec becomes independent the rest of Canada either remain together or disintegrate into its separate provinces that would most likely want to join the U.S. as states.

In no way are we going to see something like an African or Middle Eastern failed state north of our border.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm asking you to think about it.

Alberta's Oil, a great asset. How does this translate into them as a sovereign nation.

British Columbia, Newfoundland, plenty of access to the sea. Again, how does this translate into them standing as a sovereign nation.

I live in Nova Scotia, we have plenty of access to the sea. Would you group us in their too?

How does this asset translate into the ability of running a nation? Managing our own defense and borders. The creation of a currency to run in our society. How would we deal with the enormous loss of government jobs? Where would our money come from?

I'll finish with one question:

How would it benefit Alberta, British Columbia, and Newfoundland to separate from Canada?

My answer, it wouldn't. That is why it will not happen.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I wouldn't be too sure about that, I'm sure Quebec will take every inch they can, but that doesn't mean they're going to stop fighting.

Quebec has been screaming to be recognized as a nation. We have managed to do this while keeping them in Canada. I agree that some will push forward, but I am hoping that this will be the end of it.

But the actions of one province should not be an indication of the rest. Hell, the actions of a minority in one province, should not be an indication for the whole province. Quebec had a referendum on this, the majority spoke. Problem was, the minority was so damn loud, we still had to compromise.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Hahaha people in Quebec may have their independence supporters but the country of Canadia is anything but fragmenting lol.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Quebec's not going anywhere. They have it good in this union. The seperatist movement is mearly for political leverage.

Dj, where do you get this from?

In no way are we going to see something like an African or Middle Eastern failed state north of our border.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Nah not even close.

The only distinction quebec have is just paying more taxes. I'm sure if a province seperates from canada its gonna be Alberta 1st then maybe, maybe quebec will try.

Those rumors are just plain conservative BS. Look at canadian money , if its too high just start a thing like this and it ll drop a few until you see no1 ever want or will vote for that.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Dj, where do you get this from?

That's just what I think of when I think of "failed state." There may be some reogranization but that happens not that infrequently in places. For example, I wouldn't call Czechoslavakia a "failed state" just because they decided to spllt into two fairly successful states along a societal boundary.

edit:

Perhaps a better example is the United Kingdom -- I don't think it's considered a failed state because it lost most of Ireland and most of their colonies.

[edit on 11/24/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by md1978
What is the possibility of this actually happening in the near future??

Seems to be about zero. Iraq is on the verge if not already of being a failed state. Somalia is a failed state. Canada? No, definitly not. Even if Qubec seperates, the rest of canada, while perhaps having more 'regionalism', isn't going to deteriorate into a failed state where there is no government.

Are there any hidden powers driving this breakup?

Looks like its entirely driven by the qubecois.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I don't believe the whole Bloc supports the cause itself.

When Harper announced this motion a few days ago, the Bloc were all over the place with comments. One minute they were furious with Harper's attempts to control Quebec, the next they are joyed to be considered a nation. They share a common goal that they wish to be recognized as a distinct society, but not everyone is looking to fully separate from Canada.

It is obvious that they have not looked at the extent of the consequences that would come from such an action. If they had, they would make it clear how they would deal with these. Which would clear up a lot of questions that have been raised, and probably lead to more support.

Too many questions, too little answers. Hopefully, for the first time in a long time, we can put an end to this issue and consider ourselves solidified.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'm asking you to think about it.

Alberta's Oil, a great asset. How does this translate into them as a sovereign nation.

British Columbia, Newfoundland, plenty of access to the sea. Again, how does this translate into them standing as a sovereign nation.

I live in Nova Scotia, we have plenty of access to the sea. Would you group us in their too?

How does this asset translate into the ability of running a nation? Managing our own defense and borders. The creation of a currency to run in our society. How would we deal with the enormous loss of government jobs? Where would our money come from?

I'll finish with one question:

How would it benefit Alberta, British Columbia, and Newfoundland to separate from Canada?

My answer, it wouldn't. That is why it will not happen.

it would benefit them because they wouldn't have a monkey on their back... (ottawa) its obvious from within Canada that Ontario is the most hated province in all of Canada.. (even categorized against the frigid places) ..

BC, has access to the sea and already has it operational for shipping etc..
Newfoundland same concept..
Alberta has their oil. .. they're stable..

I was just pointing out there is enough stability in each of those provinces to maintain themselves....
Thats partly the reason why Quebec wants to seperate because it CAN do fine on its own, ... it seems like more of a hassle to bother with Ottawa, than to just run it the way they see fit actually LIVING there..
Americans love the Whitehouse and Washington.... Canada hates Ottawa and Ontario.. IMO more Canadians would publically denounce Ottawa and the House of Representatives than Americans would publically denounce Washington and the WhiteHouse.. IMO..
and obviously it varies from person to person... how much they support their government...
Canadians altogther dislike government.. they just haven't pissed us off enough yet..
Each loves and hates it.. love the 'security' (laxness) but hate the taxes, and the laws/bi-laws.. and the fact its difficult to open and maintain your own business due to being taxed out your a-hole . IMO every leading office is skating on thin ice.. every presidency(sp?) every prime minister ... every leader is skating on thin ice, because people are educated now.. people are .. intelligent enough to manage, now that the system has raised us, we've outgrown it.

Its like a cage, that we grew up in to protect us, and now we've grown so big its with-holding us. ..

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Before I continue, if I may, I am interested to hear where you are from & currently located at.

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
I was just pointing out there is enough stability in each of those provinces to maintain themselves....

You've merely pointed out that BC & NFLD have quick access to the sea, and Alberta has an oil supply. This ONE asset translates into province wide stability and an ability to stand as a sovereign nation? How?

Nova Scotia has the same access to the sea, why are we incapable of standing as a nation?

Thats partly the reason why Quebec wants to seperate because it CAN do fine on its own

Actually, they wish to separate because they consider themselves a distinct & separate society. Our culture differences are what leads to the friction amongst the province of Quebec and the rest of Canada. The fact they have not completely separated, in my opinion, is an indication that they can not stand on their own two feet.

Canada hates Ottawa and Ontario

Bit of a broad statement, wouldn't you agree? I can honestly say I have no problem with Ottawa, Ontario, or our government. I believe our system is flawed, but other than that I find myself quite satisfied lately.

Each loves and hates it.. love the 'security' (laxness) but hate the taxes, and the laws/bi-laws

Are these broad statements a first hand account? I'm confused where you draw your conclusions from. What security is it you speak of? And the taxes? Laws? I fully support my tax dollars going to worthy causes. The health care system we have in Canada is what makes this country so great. Every citizen has the right to a health care, a luxury some Americans would love to have. What Laws is it you speak of that we Canadians hate? Could you be a little more descriptive?

every leader is skating on thin ice, because people are educated now.. people are .. intelligent enough to manage, now that the system has raised us, we've outgrown it.

Another broad statement that I would have to completely disagree with. What makes us so intelligent compared to our predecessors? Technology? Maybe the upper echelon of our population have pushed the bar, but our ignorant are just as ignorant as they have been for years. As a society, we are just where we were years ago. Racism, Prejudice, Hatred all exist as they have in the past.

The average person is spoon fed by the mass media, we have outgrown nothing.

Its like a cage, that we grew up in to protect us, and now we've grown so big its with-holding us.

I'm all about optimism, and I love the sense you install in the general population. However, on this case I have to be more of a realist and disagree once again.

So to review, I would love to hear more of each province and exactly how this one asset translates into province wide stability. How the fact that BC & NFLD have a direct access to the ocean, that this translates into an ability to govern themselves as a sovereign nation. Don't get me wrong, these are great assets to have. But I fail to see how this permits them to stand alone.

The statement, "Alberta has oil, they are stable" is a little empty. Sure they have oil, their economy is stable for the time being, but how does this allow them to stand alone without the backing of Canada?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Interesting points of view above PuRe EnErGy. There is always going to be a danger of Separation in particular -- the Province of Quebec, first.

As long as a separatist party lurks around and can become elected for a sepratist referendum. I look at Quebec separatists as a potent group as long as English speaking and one Canada with Quebec peoples continue to leave that Province. Seems to me it reduces the number of voters in favor of PQ remaining within Canada.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I find this intersesting. Why would the NWO want Canada seperated? Or care, for that matter. Are we THAT important?

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
what a crock of poo
yea yea quebec wants to form their own nation, but it will never happen. the other day harper declared quebec a nation.....within the unified nation of canada.

and for this talk of bc forming its own nation and alberta joining with the us. where did all this come from? where do you guys base this? last time i checked (i live in british columbia btw) everyone here was happy being identified as a canadian. why would alberta join america? i just dont see your guys point of view here....

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/11/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I've heard lot of talk about Alberta wanting to separate. We pay a lot of money in eqalizaton to the rest of the country and some of us dont like that.
Im not saying that its a possiblity, though Im not saying it isnt either, but there does exist reason for separation.

<<   2 >>

join