It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Iran really needs nuclear power

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Interesting note... however, this might be a little more telling and relevent to the discussion:

Canada has a well developed advanced nuclear technology base, large uranium reserves and markets reactors for civilian use. Through extensive power generation and production capabilities. Canada has the technological capabilities to develop nuclear weapons, possessing large amounts of plutonium through power generation. Canada could develop nuclear weapons within a short period of time if attempted. While no nuclear weapons program existed, Canada was technically well placed to proceed with a program as early as 1945 if they wished to do so.

Since 1942, we could have been building bombs... but we've actively desided against it.
Yes, we've assisted our allies in their research project to attain nuclear weapons (thanks for the link, it's actually quite interesting) and have even equiped some of our own aircraft with nuclear bombs RCAF Nuclear Strike Force, but these actions were only done during extream times and in support of a nation that was a very close ally at the time.

As it stands, I'm very pleased with Canada's stance in the nuclear world. We provide the technology, equpiment, and knowhow to help people work towards a better world... and we've never made an attempt to militarize our program.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
Let me ask this question. What country, that is a nuclear power has developed that power for peaceful reasons? Has nuclear technology been created without the intention of making nuclear weapons? And if so, are their nuclear sites still active? I dunno, it seems like a fair question to me.

Almost all European Union's member states use nuclear technology for peaceful civilian purposes (Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, etc). Currently, a nuclear fusion plant is constructed in France and should be up and running in 2015.

Why do we need it? Although the European Union possesses large natural gas reserves, we're coming too dependent on Russia as supplier for both gas (25%) and oil. In addition Russia is trying to prevent Europe from accessing alternative supplies such as the Baku oil fields. Countries such as Azerbaijan (Baku-Ceyhan pipeline) are trying to supply the European demand, but it's not easy as Russia tries everything possible to prevent other countries from supplying Europe. In addition, the capacity those countries would be able to supply is not enough to fulfill our needs, which makes our increasing need for nuclear reactors plausible.

Edit: nuclear capable states: Germany, Netherlands, Canada, Japan, Italy, Norway, Lithuania.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Interesting note... however, this might be a little more telling and relevent to the discussion:

Since 1942, we could have been building bombs... but we've actively desided against it.
Yes, we've assisted our allies in their research project to attain nuclear weapons (thanks for the link, it's actually quite interesting) and have even equiped some of our own aircraft with nuclear bombs

As it stands, I'm very pleased with Canada's stance in the nuclear world. We provide the technology, equpiment, and knowhow to help people work towards a better world... and we've never made an attempt to militarize our program.

You mean would be more relevent, if I were not talking about countries that just started there nuclear programs. And further more, countries that were not interested in wiping others off of the face of the map... If you know what I mean. Because in that case, I would have to question their intentions.

I am also vary pleased with Canada's stance in the nuclear world. Because, at the moment, they are not interested in destorying other countries. Therefore, I am fine with them have the ablity to produce nuclear weapons if the wanted to.

Styki

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, Italy

Sweden – During the 1950s and 1960s, Sweden seriously investigated nuclear weapons, intended to be deployed over coastal facilities of an invading enemy (the Soviet Union).

The Netherlands - By 2000 the Netherlands had about 2 tons of separated reactor grade plutonium. Even though the capability exists, there is no evidence for nuclear weapon production in the Netherlands. Also, in the light of the fierce opposition against nuclear weapon deployment in the 1980s, it is highly unlikely that such a programme will ever exist.

So they did a good job. As for as we know they are clean.

Italy - Italy has operated a number of nuclear reactors, both for power and for research. The country was also a base for the Jupiter missile in the 1960s and later the GLCM nuclear-armed ground-launched variant of the Tomahawk cruise missile during the 1980s, despite strong public outcry. Several warheads are still in the NATO arsenal in Italy, mostly in form of airplane bombs.

Germany? Are you kidding me? The had intentions to make the bomb, im sure they did.

Let's not forget North Korea, the most recent one. Are you guys going to tell me they are going for peace as well?

I forgot to give props to the Netherlands

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Styki]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Why Iran really needs nuclear power?

Very simple . . . so another country like the US doesn't do to their nation what it did to Iraq, in the name of democracy, freedom of religion and the well being of all.

Even I will be building nuclear weapon in my nation if I was called an axis of evil and terrorist nation.

And let no forget that Israel also have nuclear weapons and they also hate Iran.
and every arab country in the region.

I bet they have no problem with India and Pakistan.

Problem is they were building those weapons programs before bush was ever president. And they didn't declare them untill the UN called them on it and they are still lying about it to the UN which is why the UN found weaponized material in iran.

As for Israel yeah they have them "nukes"and haven't used them. As for hating all the arab nations, its called reciprocity. Considering that every arab leader makes a career of demonizing israel are you surprised. How about the fact that the arabs attacked israel what 2 or 3 times. Of course they lost and alwasy will.

Mexico doesn't have nukes... Why aren't we there yet? Hell its an easy drive.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by American Madman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join