It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Says Fiji's Military May Be Planning A Take Over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Australian Foreign Minister said that there is clear evidence that Fiji's military commander is planning to stage a coup. Possibly with it the next couple of weeks. Threats to remove the government of Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase have been made and repeated. Australian warships have been dispatched to the region to evacuate citizens in the event of unrest. Qarase's administration has been accused of corruption and of being to lenient on the perpetrators of a coup six years ago. The commander who is threatening the coup presented the government with a list of demands two days ago, which includes dropping an amnesty bill.

www.bloomberg.com
There is ``clear evidence'' that Fiji's military commander is planning to stage a coup within the next couple of weeks, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said.

Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama, who is currently in New Zealand, has repeated threats to remove the government of Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase, Downer said late yesterday in an interview with Australian Broadcasting Corp. television. Warships have been dispatched to the region to evacuate Australian citizens in the event of civil unrest, Downer added.

``There's clear evidence he's planning a coup in the next couple of weeks. He made a public statement along those lines yesterday,'' said Downer. ``He still seems intent on returning to Fiji and at some point overthrowing, through military means, the elected government of Fiji.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Gawd, like the world does not have enough wars going on already. I know little about the government of Fiji. If the government is corrupt then I hope there is a change, but I don't want the change to come as a military coup. The Government of Fiji is elected to the change can come through the election process. And if all this ugliness does go down, maybe the UN will have another job on its list.

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.smh.com.au
www.skynews.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These aditional links provide some good information on Fiji.
CIA the world
Fiji History

[edit on 23-11-2006 by RedGolem]

[edit on 23-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Qarase's administration has been accused of corruption and of being to lenient on the perpetrators of a coup six years ago.

This is pretty strange logic..he's upset that the perpetrators of a former coup were dealt with too lightly, so he's planning one of his own?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

This is pretty strange logic..he's upset that the perpetrators of a former coup were dealt with too lightly, so he's planning one of his own?

Djohnsto,
Yes it seems that is what is happening. yes it is strange logic looking at it like that. As far as the strange logic goes we could take that through all levels of discussion that would take for ever and a year to go over. I don't think you could turn on a news station with out finding something that is happening in the world that does not make sense.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Nevermind my question, I should go read more first lol
Thanks for the heads up, seems since I left Australia I haven't made as much effort as I should in keeping up with affairs there.

Cheers

[edit on 24-11-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
ImJaded:

The Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF), with a total manpower of 3,500 men, is one of the smallest in the world. The 2,950 men in the active army are organized into six infantry and one engineer battalions, with 350 reserves forming a further three. Wiki

The Australian Defence Force currently numbers about 51,000 full-time active duty personnel plus another 19,400 reservists. The ADF, although small numerically, is technologically sophisticated. It is the largest force in Oceania, and plays a significant role in peacekeeping operations around the world. The ADF's main strategic rivals are within the Asia-Pacific region.Wiki

Hope that helps.

So let me get this straight, one of the smallest militaries in the world is going to stage a coup to take over the largest force in their area, and this is seen as a threat? The only way I could see this getting out of control is if the Fiji resorts to terrorist or guerilla tactics, in order to make their lives a living hell.

Anyway, just what we need, another warzone in the world. :shk:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Thank you for that niteboy

appreciate it, just felt a little dumb asking *blushin*

What part will Australia play in this if any ?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

So let me get this straight, one of the smallest militaries in the world is going to stage a coup to take over the largest force in their area, and this is seen as a threat? The only way I could see this getting out of control is if the Fiji resorts to terrorist or guerilla tactics, in order to make their lives a living hell.

Niteboy,
The term coup when used in a manner that applies to a military it usually means a military take over of its own governing body. That is what the original article was talking about. Perhaps I should have my introduction synopsises more clear in that regard.

coup

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
On the bright side there has not been a coup yet. But hear is an update to what is happening.

Fiji's Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase is due to meet his country's military leader Frank Bainimarama for talks aimed at averting a possible coup.
The two arch-rivals have been at loggerheads for months, but the crisis has recently escalated.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters is brokering the talks, which will be held in Wellingon.
BBC news

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It seems the possibility to avert another conflict is not going to happen.

FIJI'S military yesterday warned Australia, Britain and the US not to interfere in its plans to "clean up" the Fijian Government.

The warning came after a visit by top diplomats from the three countries to Suva's main barracks marred attempts by New Zealand to broker 11th-hour talks to head off a possible coup.

The diplomatic manoeuvring yesterday also included a bid by UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to threaten the Fijian military with expulsion from peacekeeping operations - a source of national pride and valuable foreign currency for the nation, which has nearly a quarter of a million people living in poverty.

news.com.au

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Was looking at the news on the U.N.'s website and ran across these articles about Fiji.

SECRETARY-GENERAL ALARMED BY POSSIBILITY OF MILITARY COUP D’ETAT IN FIJI;

The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan:

The Secretary-General is alarmed by the continued possibility of a military coup d’état against the legitimate Government of the Republic of Fiji Islands. He encourages the parties to continue their search for a peaceful reconciliation of their differences within the constitutional framework.

The Secretary-General also wishes to stress that further prolongation of the crisis may damage Fiji’s international standing, which it has built carefully over the years, as an important contributor to United Nations peacekeeping operations and more recently as a member of the Peacebuilding Commission.

The Secretary-General stands ready to complement national and regional efforts aimed at overcoming the crisis through dialogue.

Security Council urges Fiji’s military leadership to resolve any disputes peacefully

29 November 2006 – The Security Council today expressed concern at the possibility of a coup d’état against the Fijian Government, urging the country’s military leadership to exercise restraint and respect the rule of law.

In a press statement, the 15-member Council added its voice to that of Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who warned yesterday that a continuation of the current political crisis in the Pacific island nation would jeopardize Fiji’s international standing.

Council members “welcome and support the efforts being made in the region to encourage restraint and to achieve agreement between the parties to the dispute,” Ambassador Jorge Voto-Bernales of Peru, which holds the rotating Council presidency this month, said.

The statement applauded the current domestic and regional efforts to solve the crisis between the military leadership and the Government of Prime Minister Laisenia Qarase, adding that it also backed the efforts of Mr. Annan to use his good offices as UN Secretary-General to resolve the dispute.

Guess the UN is trying to nip this 'possible future problem' in the butt.

[edit on 29/11/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
As I understand at this point in time, Australia's role is NOT to provide military support in this coup to either the Fijian miltiary or the Fijian Government.

Rather the ADF is concerned for Australian tourists and expats that could need to be evacuated out if the coup does eventuate. We have been told this is the reason that there are 3 Australian navy ships in the vicinity.

The Fijian miltary has warned other countries to 'butt out' and not get involved.
After the tragic accident yesterday with the Black Hawk on the HMAS Kanimbla
crashing in to the sea, the Fijians are now aware that Australian SAS are onboard our navy ships.

I do not think we will be involved in a confrontation with them...we just want to get our people out if they want to come home.

I reckon just let the Fijians get on with it and sort their own stuff out.

We do need to be like that other 'watchdog of the world'

In peace Always
resi

top topics

join