It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University Group Sponsors Whites Only Scholarship

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is a fantastic idea if you ask me. Nobody deserves to be put on a pedestal because of their race, and if the purpose of this is to truly make an argument against making race specific scholarships I am all for it. Now all they need to do is figure out a way to get rid of affirmative action.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well I think the Homo's and Transexuals would have a good argument to lambaste the ethnic minority's screaming blue murder. I mean these groups of people have been persecuted since time began and that would pretty well much give them the rights to protest over and above the racial minorities if we are going to use previous persecution as the reason these groups deserve to be treated exclusively.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
White people go to yale because we get off our butts and work our butts off in school...most colored people do not care for school, they rather work at mcd's and join gangs and shoot each other up (yes white people do this too) its about EDUCATION......theres negro funds and stuff is that not racist in itself? if the blacks have a million man march they are considered liberalists and freedom what if whites have a million man march? its the kkk.....for godsake everyone quit living in the past and live as equals....cause if u still want to be treated as minorities...i guess whites could always use some good ol' slaves again...(sorry if this sounds very rude)

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elijio
Wow amazing
You guys are so forgetful. Um, OK quick history lesson, remember slavery, the civil rights movement, racism, etc?

Yes, I remember my American history. But, lest we forget, let us go over some African history. Taken from wikipedia..

Slaves purchased from black slave dealers in West African regions known as the Slave Coast, Gold Coast, and Côte d'Ivoire were sold into slavery as a result of a defeat in tribal warfare. Mighty black kings in the Bight of Biafra near modern-day Senegal and Benin sold their captives locally and later to European slave traders for goods such as metal cookware, rum, livestock, and seed grain.

So, whites were not the only ones to buy/trade slaves.

This is not meant to negate the American slave trade, but meant to highlight the slavery happens everywhere, by everyone.. and is still happening today -- "Despite its illegality, the African slave trade continues today in parts of the continent. The contemporary slave trade focuses on the theft and sale of children into slavery as child soldiers and sex workers as well as the forced sale of women into slavery, typically for use in the sex trade." Likewise, in Indonesia...

Well blk/hispanics don't have an equal opportunity to go to and afford college as the white demographic does. The black and hispanic only scholarships are an attempt to even the playfield so to speak, when it comes to college education.

Really? Is that why I couldn't get a single scholarship and am up to my ears in debt? (The first scholarship I got was because I made it to my junior year with decent grades...)
Meanwhile, all my black friends in high skool had sooo many scholarships tossed at them that they needed very little financial aid.
Equal opportunity... what's so equal about that?

The ratio of whites to blacks/hispanics in college is shocking hence the numerous black/hisp only scholarships.

Got a source? Nevermind an actual ratio?

The white only scholarship seems racist because it strikes some as a form of elitism. Whites outnumber blk/hisp like 10 to 1 so a white only scholarship seems like an effort to increase this ratio cuz it really needs increasing.

blk/hisp only scholarship--------for increasing opportunity
white only scholarship-----------for elitism

$250 won't even cover my books for this up-coming semester..
But, keep singing the elitest tune if you like.. (just to let you know -- your notes are off key).

Where I live now -- a city of poor (mostly white) people! All cashing in welfare checks and food stamps. The majority don't have the will to go to college (I asked), nor the ability to get scholarships (aka free money) because they're white. But, it's elitest to offer them help??

Man some of you are out of touch. You really believe blks/hipanics have equal opprtunity as whites?

As stated above, yes, yes I do. In fact, I'd even wager that they have more of an advantage to go to college.

The difference is in how many actually want and try to get into college. The vast majority of my graduating high skool class did not apply to colleges/universities, but went straight into the work force. (And, the vast majority were not white.)

They had scholarships thrown at them and had their pick of skools, white I had to work very hard to get in anywhere.

In my opinion, anyone who *wants* to go to college has a fair opportunity to do so. It all depends on grades and willingness to learn. I don't see how skin color enters into that.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is not a hard concept to grasp.

Affirmative action does nothing but fuel racial inequality. Yes, African Americans were mistreated 100+ years ago in most of the US, and 40+ years ago in the rest of the nation. But where do you arbitrarily draw the dividing line between the oppressed and those who had the upper hand?

I'm English, the Romans enslaved Britain for decades. So does that mean I can claim reparations from Italy? If not, why not? Because it happened before my lifetime?

The Irish, Welsh and Scottish were oppressed by England for centuries. I have both Irish and Scottish heritage as well as English. Does that mean I can hold England financially responsible for my economic situation (which isn't fantastic)? Does that mean since I am also English that I can sue Italy for creating the slavery mindset amongst the Britons in the first millennia?

This is the issue in a nutshell, no living African American was a victim of the slave trade. So they have no right to make "whites" feel guilty or responsible for things that happened before they all were born. So what this white-only scholarship is designed to illustrate is not that white people should have their own exclusive scholarship, but that racially based scholarships are amoral.

Today, if you have two underprivileged kids with the same economic background - one who's white and the other who is black - they should both have equal opportunity to enter university. Getting some kind of revenge for slavery and taking it out on the younger generation of white kids who had absolutely nothing to do with the past inequity is outrageous. If it continues it will generate a very real, and valid, animosity between the races once more.

Drop the whole race issue, even when you are profiting from it. If not be prepared for it to swing full circle once more and slap you right on the ass.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have no problem with this. And I can't see how anyone (i.e. from another race) could. It's been being done for decades upon decades now, only for what is deemed "minority" races. Well, I'd like to offer that in the realm of race-based scholarships, the caucasian race can be viewed as "in the minority". Every racial group should be able to build a scholarship fund for their race.

We should all back the philosophy that any given group of people should be able to designate their philanthropic efforts in the manner they so choose.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I am with you Subz!!

I say we found a organization to bring restitution to us Northern European ancestors! Il get my restitution from Brits for being Irish, you can get restitution from Britain for your Irish side and Italy for your English side! And hey, since I am also part English I think I will sue Italy as well.

Yeah, that must be a black only thing to do, as no one else does nor did it before.. The only outcome I see of this is to agitate the white community.. suppressed feelings, negative build ups that given certain circumstances lead to explosions of those feelings... Michael Richards anyone?

But honestly what gets me the most.. and it is really sad, maybe a little pathetic.. is that blacks are the ones who think they cannot get anywhere with out using crutches the entire way..

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
But honestly what gets me the most.. and it is really sad, maybe a little pathetic.. is that blacks are the ones who think they cannot get anywhere with out using crutches the entire way..

But honestly what gets me the most.. and it is really sad, maybe a little pathetic.. is that whites are the ones who think blacks cannot get anywhere with out using crutches the entire way..

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imzadi
"WHITE ONLY" is offensive, because the WHITE PEOPLE ARE IN POWER in the USA! They don't NEED a "white only" group to get better housing, better jobs, or better schooling.
"WHITE ONLY" is not enforceable, either. I am "BLACK", but I have Caucasian features, blonde hair and green eyes! I rest my case!
See MINDBOGGLER
members.tripod.com...
This is due to GENETIC MANIPULATION....the ETS and the Government. It was done to help ELIMINATE RACIAL PREJUDICE.

I am sorry but that sounded kind of racist. My family can not afford college and the only chance i have of going is a scholarship but i should not be able to get one because the white man is the person of power???

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Honestly, I find the fact that anyone considers minority only scholarships ok, while caucasian only scholarships are deemed offensive and racist... It is just beyond my level of comprehension, apparently. Seriously, how is it racist? As other posters have pointed out, it is entirely possible to be white and have trouble financially.

I grew up in a very poor neighborhood. There were drug dealers two houses away from my home. Everyone in my neighborhood with few exceptions were on welfare, WIC, and medicare. I had to work my butt off to get into college. I didn't qualify for any scholarships what-so-ever for the first two years and just recently qualified for the governor's scholarship for maintaing a high enough GPA in my college classes. I go to school full-time, and have to work full-time to keep food on the table for my son. Even when I could barely afford to buy milk and keep the electricity on, I still didn't qualify for any help from the government. Apparently 15000 a year is too much to qualify for aid if you have a family of 3.
Yet the white man is keeping every one else down. It's all the white man's fault. I clawed my way back up from the gutter and so can everyone else.

I don't care if you're black, white, tan, or purple. If you get off your butt and do something with yourself, you don't have to rely on free-rides from the government or any other fund set up specifically for your race. I've noticed that the racism card only gets pulled when it's something "minorities" don't like. If it was a scholarship for six-fingered, 11-toed, LGBT african-american latino's no one would bat an eye, but since it's a scholarship for white students only, everyone's in an uproar. Every one wants their 40 acres and a mule, but no one wants to work for it. In today's world there's still a lot of injustice, but that's no reason to discriminate against anyone regardless of their race. My ancestors were Irish but I have yet to demand restitution from the government for all the times they were turned away when they applied for jobs simply because of where they came from.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by Jenna]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
OMG, would you do some freaking research?

If you had, you would know that the "race-based scholarships" are not race-based.

Duh.

They are based on race AND income. There are tons of wealthy black kids who don't qualify for them.

Deny ignorance, people.

PS, In every response, posters appear to be responding to a mob of angry minorities who hate the idea of a whites-only scholarship.

Where is this mob? I haven't noticed it. It looks like you're all responding to people who aren't here.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
If you had, you would know that the "race-based scholarships" are not race-based.
*snipped my SportyMB*
They are based on race AND income.

You are contradicting yourself a little.....you are saying that these "race-based scholarships" are not race-based.....but......they are based on race, and income.

If race is a prereq for getting the scholoarship, then yes, it is a race based scholarship.

I don't see a problem with this or any other "race-based" scholarship. It's not tax dollars, so why should anyone care if a group, organization, club, NAACP, whoever, offers scholarships limited to persons of a certain color, race, height, etc..

Not that I would, but if I were rich and had money to give and wanted to only give it to hot blondes.....why should you care? It's not your money or tax dollars.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I actually read through ever post in this thread so far, and many of you have a point.
I am multi racial. I would qualify for that scholarship, because I am more than 1/4th white.. BUT I am also three tribes of Native American, and african american as well.

I am an intelligent woman, and I actually find it insulting that on say a civil service test, that I would be given extra points for being "ethnic" and for being female, when I don't NEED those extra points, IF the world was what it should be.
My daughters are much fairer than I. Sufice it to say, they are white, so much so, that I have been asked AT their schools, so, are you their foster, adopted or step mother, and time and again are treated with "the look" when I say, biological.
This is by all the caucasion administrators.. I find it very interesting that no one of color has ever asked me if I were my daughters' mother.
Even on the street, I get those questions. When disaplining my daughters, I have had WHITE people ONLY approach me, and say, maybe you should just let their mother handle this.. I have have had a man DEMAND to know who my employer was, because I was not fit to be those childrens baby sitter. And again, I got "the look" when I tell them, I AM the mother. Oh, ummm... I'm, well.. it's just... They are completely abashed, because they let their racial prejudices blind them. My oldest daughter looks exactly like me, only paler.
I have had issues in school, because when they speak to me on the phone, by looking at my daughter's, and because I speak correct english, aka "white", they are taken aback, when they SEE me for the first time, and realize they were NOT dealing with the white woman they assumed they were dealing with.
I had a VERY good phone relationship with an administrator at my daughters' school, which disintegrated the moment that she saw me. How said is that?
The fact is, as long as TV news shows can take two people, with all the exact same information, but one is white, and the other is black, and show time and time again, the black one being denied servies, and the white one come behind, and GET the job/apartment, whatever that the black one didn't get, things like AA are going to be a necessary evil.
Is this "scholarship" right? That is not for me to say. But I don't know that it is wrong. There ARE inequities.
The world needs to come and join my family, we have our own little Rainbow Coalition, and we are all color blind though we range in lily white (my german/norweigian grandmother) to red (my cherokee grandfather) to yellow (my Cree grandmother) to brown (my black grandfather) and every other color in between.
Until the world becomes color blind, injustices based on race will remain.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
In researching this subject more, I came across this from Feb. 16, 2004:

Rhode Island Whites Only Scholarship

BRISTOL, Rhode Island (AP) -- A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

Dropped because of Racism Charges

After facing charges of racism from some students on campus, the group ultimately dropped the scholarship.

Seems the Boston University group isn't the first to have this idea.

PS, In every response, posters appear to be responding to a mob of angry minorities who hate the idea of a whites-only scholarship.

While I agree that a few responses appear that way, my perception is that the vast majority are just saying that we have no problem with this and stating our reasons. I haven't seen or heard from this 'mob', either.

However, I am not surprised at all to find that this is a matter of controversy. Here are a couple responses from a blog:

Source
A better way to protest affirmative action, would be to end prejudice. If the College Republicans can do that, they have my respect. Until then, I will have no respect for a majority group promoting these kinds of ideas, even if only for shock value. It is outlandish, and obscene.
Silly! Whites in general do not need preferences. They have been the dominant force in this country since its inception.

This whole "reverse discrimination" argument is bogus. Yes, viewing society as a whole, it is fair to discriminate against some whites.

And I don't have to imagine how some other people feel about it.

There are people who are upset about it, but I certainly don't feel I'm facing an angry mob.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConfederacyOfUnity
White people go to yale because we get off our butts and work our butts off in school...most colored people do not care for school, they rather work at mcd's and join gangs and shoot each other up (yes white people do this too) its about EDUCATION......theres negro funds and stuff is that not racist in itself? if the blacks have a million man march they are considered liberalists and freedom what if whites have a million man march? its the kkk.....for godsake everyone quit living in the past and live as equals....cause if u still want to be treated as minorities...i guess whites could always use some good ol' slaves again...(sorry if this sounds very rude)

most colored people do not care for school, they rather work at mcd's and join gangs and shoot each other up

Ai Caramba!!!!

In Brazil, university is free and so is plastic surgery - that's where I'm headed for the dotage. Still many people are too poor to finish high school and must work just to eat.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
So, let me get this right, they dropped a protest over what they see as racism because they were accused of being..... racist?

Seems to me like they should have stuck to their guns. We don't have any of this "affermative action" rubbish over this side of the pond and whilst we do have some race problems, they are completely unlike what you have over there.

Why not award scholarships based on merit and merit alone? Why do minorities and blacks especially, feel the need to shout that their black from the rooftops whilst at the same time demand that colour isn't an issue. If it isn't an issue, then why shout about it?

Alot of the shouting is also bogus.

Where I live in the UK, there is a Youth centre, called Central Club. It is for blacks only. It is also a hotbed for gun and knife crime, drug dealing and general crappyness (seems to me, that gun/knife crime is predominantly from the Black populace, hence Operation Trident). There is the whole "gangsta" ethos where they all think they have the right to rich and what not, but not actually have to work towards anything, instead getting handouts or committing crime.

Painted on the side is a large mural which supposedly depicts "black history", not that such a thing exists,as there is many cultures and ethnicities within the black population and claiming a generic black history only serves to belittle what accomplishments the various peoples around the world have done, or, which seems to be popular, claiming achievements that your people haven't done.

What shocks me is that they have pictures of Black Pharoes, and black people building Pyramids! What is all this nonsense about Black history depicting black people doing things they never did? They even claim Jesus was black..

Then there is the bloody MOBO awards. Poorly written music about shagging around, shooting people and "bling". How come they can have MOBO and avoid the racist label, but if there was a MOWO, there would be hell to pay?

It bugs the hell out of me. Race shouldn't be an issue and for many it isn't, but certain elements of some ethnicities seem to want to promote the fact they are different.

Your not!

It's only melanin for crying out loud, it's not as if your a different species!

Get over it!

If you actually stopped for one minute and actually applied some effort into your lives, rather than all try to be "gangsta's", you might find that you can do as well as any "whitey".

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
A buddy of mine got a Harvard scholarship because his dead-beat dad was from PR.

Good for him, bad for everyone else who was smarter and more deserving of the spot. He got fairly good grades, but definitely not stellar. Did he really deserve that spot?

Long gone are the days when a genius would be denied a scholarship because of the color of their skin.

No reason to swing the pendulum in the other direction by giving special treatment to non-whites.

Equality doesn't equate to crapping on one group instead of the other...

I'm white, and my family never owned slaves. Poor European laborers weren't famous for owning slaves. For all intents and purposes, we were slaves.

My father's family came here in poverty and did what was necessary to achieve some measure of success, they're now statesmen, lawyers and bankers, thanks to the education they busted their butt to pay for, and of course the hard work they put in to the equation.

I think the core issue of poverty is what we ought to focus on, rather than something as meaningless as skin color or heritage. People came to this country from across the globe, and they either made it or didn't, based entirely on their thrift, ingenuity, and hard work.

There was a time when a black man couldn't catch a break, even if he worked hard, was smart, and made good decisions - those days are done. Why should we act like they never ended, to the detriment of white folks who work hard and deserve a break (scholarship)?

Just my .02 cents based on my family's history.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The idea that special government action are necessary to redress past injustices is a communist idea that shrinks individual rights, as affirmative action and civil rights have done since the 1960's.
Your freedoms are being taken from you in the name of fairness in America, but the tide has turned; Michigan, a solid democrat state, just passed a ballot initiative outlawing such racial preferances.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

OMG, would you do some freaking research?

Duh.

They are based on race AND income. There are tons of wealthy black kids who don't qualify for them.

Deny ignorance, people.

[edit on 25-11-2006 by HarlemHottie]

But thats our point, we arent saying that any black guy or gal has scholarships flowing out theyre asses. But its unfair, and thats the point of the "whites only scholarship" little protest, that some of the best scholarships in the country only apply to the stereotyped "poor black man or woman."

What was said in much of the thread, if you didnt read it all (I wouldnt blame ya, its long winded) is that we shouldn't have scholarships based on race, but based, solely, on economic status. Anything other, is discriminatory, and ignorant.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I'm white, and my family never owned slaves. Poor European laborers weren't famous for owning slaves. For all intents and purposes, we were slaves.

Just my .02 cents based on my family's history.

Yup they were slaves just didn't have good publicists like the blacks do.

My family came over in the 1950's legally as the could AFFORD TO financialy and busted their ass. Asians come over bust their ass and within one generation can speak english and have gone through college. What is the problem with the others aside from expecting a free ride and everything being handed to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join