It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University Group Sponsors Whites Only Scholarship

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
thier scholarship isnt about helping whites per se, its to bring the issue of minority only scholarships into the front for open debate.

Yes. And it's time for this to be discussed. If this is the way to bring it into the open, put it on the table and discuss it, then that's good. It obviously needs to be looked at and resolved. I support having a white history month and other special white events and awareness. If people say every month is white history month, well then they shouldn't mind if we name one of them as such. I think April would be good.

The point is that if we're going to recognize the different races as such, the white race should be included. Period. If people don't want to hear about White TV channel or WHite scholarships, then let's do away with the others.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
LOL ok as a former member of the military who had to do with substandard equipment for 12 years because there was no money in the budget i cant believe im going to say this but....

how about we take a few billion a year from the pentagon and use it to pay state colleges (which are already paid for by our taxes) so taht students dont have to pay out of pocket to go to college at a state school. THEN all you have for entrance requirements are your grades in highschool?

it would do two things. end the racial debates for financial aid AND motivate kids in school who dont bother with it because they figure "wtf? why bother, i cant afford college anyway. why try?"

IF the ONLY requirement for higher education was to actually put some effort into learning in highschool, it would end a lot of problems overall. disadvantaged kids who would love to go to college and get out of (insert low economic area here) would ahve motivation to learn and better themselves. believe me, if i thought taht my grades would have made a difference in HS i would have paid attention. instead i just got by on my test scores rofl.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There has never been a black president in america ever!. and please correct me if im wrong but i dont believe there has been a none white senator before either.
It is seemingly clear to me that the minority groups need these scholorships because of prejudices in white america, who happen by the way to hold not some, but all of the power in america
Saying that i dont have anything against white only scholorships, but remember the minority and or disadvantaged are always oppressed by the majority and or those with power over them, so i see the need for hispanics and afro americans. but i can't say that white americans suffer the same prejudices or at least not on the same level that black and other none whites face in america.

Well a good example or prejudice was new Orleans

If im wrong do correct me as i don't live in america.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This whole thread confuses me.

In my personal opinion a college education should be open to everyone interested in learning. To me this means making scholarship programs for anyone who needs financial assistance. Not for any members of a particular race, but rather for anyone who wishes to participate in higher education and needs a boost.

Making these things race based limits the scholarships in their ability to help those who are actually in need.

It is remarkably ignorant of anyone to consider any race "a poor race" or "a rich race". That's a very old mindset that I think most people prefer not to get caught up in. Think about it realistically. There are many wealthy African-Americans & Latinos & Asians in the US, and there are many wealthy whites as well. Just the same there are many poverty stricken people from all races. Anyone who honestly thinks that there are no poor white people who could benefit from such scholarships needs to stop being so disgustingly self centered and leave the city for once to see the rest of America, for example poor farmers who've been crapped on by the government for decades and can't afford to send their kids to school.

Higher education should be made affordable for all. You should not have to show your skin color to get financial aid. That is a process that should go away.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Theres been about 1 or two Black Senators every year or so, but a large majority of Black Politicians are Represenatives, infact, last year there were 43 Black Representatives.

And as for a President, no, there has not been one yet, but look at the last 5 years, you had two black individuals who were within the highest of the white house cabinet, and in line of succession for the office seat

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reaper. there have been and are black senators. the first black senator was in 1870 believe it or not, a former escaped slave no less.

Senate.Gov

theres a few on that page complete with photos but i would be hard pressed to beleive those were the ONLY black senators (those listed on that page i mean)

i guess its just hard for me to really understand all of this. i grew up in a VERY white area (very small town(village?) in south dakota) where there really wasnt a black person for over 100 miles. my exposure to other races and cultures was with the sioux indians that were near us, and i love them as people and as a culture. but i was raised to be open minded and tolerant. had i ever even uttered the N word, or any other racial slur for that matter my father probably would have broken half a dozen child abuse laws.

so i guess i just dont get it.

Staff Edit: Fixed long link.

[edit on 11-24-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Barack Obama, the Senate candidate who delivered last night's keynote address at the Democratic convention, is often described as an odds-on favorite to become the third black senator "since Reconstruction."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

I am not saying there have been a tremondous number of black senators, but there have been some.

[edit on 11/24/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles
reaper. there have been and are black senators. the first black senator was in 1870 believe it or not, a former escaped slave no less.

Senate.Gov

theres a few on that page complete with photos but i would be hard pressed to beleive those were the ONLY black senators (those listed on that page i mean)

Thanks for that
I suppose things are not as bad as they seem then, but none the less i thinck you can get my drift.

Corrected speeeellling

[edit on 24-11-2006 by reaper2]

Staff Edit: Fixed long link in quote.

[edit on 11-24-2006 by Djarums]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
yes i do and i agree with you to some extent.

while personally i could care less waht color or gender our president is, im sad to say that our first black president is likely to be assasinated by some low IQ redneck (no slight to rednecks in general)

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imzadi
"WHITE ONLY" is offensive, because the WHITE PEOPLE ARE IN POWER in the USA! They don't NEED a "white only" group to get better housing, better jobs, or better schooling.
"WHITE ONLY" is not enforceable, either. I am "BLACK", but I have Caucasian features, blonde hair and green eyes! I rest my case!
See MINDBOGGLER
members.tripod.com...
This is due to GENETIC MANIPULATION....the ETS and the Government. It was done to help ELIMINATE RACIAL PREJUDICE.

Yeah I forgot all of us whities stick together. The rich whities bend over backwards to pay for the poor whities education food and shelter....

Wait, wait, wait no they don't. I work full time in the day and go to school full time at night without subsidies... Maybe everyone else needs to stfu and stop worrying about white people getting a helping hand on a very limited basis, considering that most other people other then whites and asians are thrown free money to go to school have lower requirments to get into school.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2
There has never been a black president in america ever!. and please correct me if im wrong but i dont believe there has been a none white senator before either.
It is seemingly clear to me that the minority groups need these scholorships because of prejudices in white america, who happen by the way to hold not some, but all of the power in america
Saying that i dont have anything against white only scholorships, but remember the minority and or disadvantaged are always oppressed by the majority and or those with power over them, so i see the need for hispanics and afro americans. but i can't say that white americans suffer the same prejudices or at least not on the same level that black and other none whites face in america.

Well a good example or prejudice was new Orleans

If im wrong do correct me as i don't live in america.

Ok get real open your eyes there are NON white senators lots of them... #1 Has your country ever had a non majority leader?

#2 If white people are in power its only because well they built the country the political institutions and so forth. Blacks and slavery did not build the country before you start that. Blacks built up the agricultural south which was destroyed in the civil war.

#3 no one has forced the black community into the hole in which it now stands. Bastardization as a hobby, a lack of community, and a lack personal reponsibility is what has put them there. Bill Cosby "a famous black man" has said the same and alot of blacks have trashed him for it. Cause its easier to just blame whitey

#4 Being white doesn't assure you of anything. If white people make it in the world its for one of two reasons. They busted their ass, or their family already made it. Guess what michael jordan, kobe bryant, their kids will have everything. Me being white and busting my ass as a teacher I'll be lucky to own a home with an acre or two of land for me and my family which which will consist of two kids if I can afford them. Makes you wonder how a familly on welfare can have 4 kids. Not that its their fault or anything whitey made them have all of those kids when they can't even support themselves...lmao

Whites aren't oppressing anyone in fact we are enabling them. Yeah as a white person I figure the best way to keep the black person down is to pay him her them millions of dollars for playing sports, singing poorly written songs, and acting in poor written movies. Of course they are free to enter any other field if they wish. In fact whities are so evil that we set up quotas guarenteeing them a job even if they aren't really qualified.

Damn how evil and oppressive is that?

About New Orleans the black mayor might share some blame instead of laying at the feet of whites.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by American Madman]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Good idea. It has obviously worked, as it's brought 5 pages of discussion here.

What we need now is a MOWO awards to counter MOBO. I've always said for years that if they had a MOWO, there would be uproar.

Why?

Because black people can be racist too.

Shocking?

They're only human. What happened to live and let live? Why do minorites feel the need to claim equal opportunities with one hand, but quite clearly demand special treatment with the other.

Equal opportunites means exactly that, Equal.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is good thinking. Here scholarships based on colour are illegal. They created a white scholarship so the PC hypocrites would get all outraged and then it could be pointed out out wrong black or Hispanic scholarships are. I'll be waiting for the white music awards soon.

I always thought the more intelligent people should get the places, not because you're a certain colour. Racism will still exist in until things like this are abolished. You can never stop individuals being racist but there's no way it should be institutionalised because all it does is promote racism by creating inter race resentment.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
There are obviously flaws to this "white scholarship." A scholarship based on a person's skin color is set to destroy itself, for the reasons that "white," can be associated with many people of different ethnicities. I look "white" to everyone I meet, but I am Middle Eastern, so does that make me qualified to recieve this scholarship? What about someone who is mixed, or an Asian who who has very light skin? Those arguing aganist scholarships such as "Hispanic scholarships," or "African American" scholarships should understand that those are based a person's ethnicity, and this one a person's skin.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elijio

Originally posted by Slash
ANOK
I agree totally. But why should whites suffer for something that has happened decades ago?

Because the blacks are still suffering from that something that happened decades ago.
There is still inequality, remarkably you do not see it though...

Umm how do you know what I can and can't see? I've stated that there IS inequality. remarkably you did not see it though.

But enough, this is a touchy subject and causes some people to go overboard and say stupid things. I knew I should have stayed out of this conversation or I'd be subject to people flexing their e-muscles and shooting what ever I say down.
My main point, which remarkably you did not see, is that I wished everyone were equal, no more fighting, but SOME people just have to push. I'm out of this conversation.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by Slash]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
Umm how do you know what I can and can't see? I've stated that there IS inequality. remarkably you did not see it though.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by Slash]

If there is inequality, that inequality should be stopped, more inequality should not be created as all it does is worsen things.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well said, same thoughts I have.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
its funny that someone mentioned there has never been a black president. there have been a few blacks that ran for the office though. al sharpton, jesse jackson. just to name a couple im sure there are more but i cant remember them all. what makes this country great is that we the people get to decide who we want as president. its not the white mans fault they didnt get elected. they just werent qualified. im sure if colin powell ran for office he would have a great chance at being elected. id vote for him anyhow.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
It's whites that segregated 'blacks' until not that long ago, whites wouldn't give a job or even the time of day to non-whites.

It's whites that caused the hate to begin with by dragging people from their home countries to take them thousands of miles to work for nothing on white plantations.

Do you not know your own history? They helped, through their stolen labour, to make this country what it is. The wealth you now enjoy is partly because of their stolen labour.

I am white. Are you saying I had a hand in slavery or segregation?

My ancestors were not in this country when all this was going on. My ancestors came here long after slavery was abolished and they were discriminated against when they arrived in this country, which was when your ancestors were still being discriminated against.

I take offence to you lumping all whites, or any race, together.

My ancestors took the time to learn the language, get educated, and make a life here for themselves. Today anyone can come to America or come from a poor area in America and make a good life for themselves.

If the white man is still holding the black man and other minorities down, then how do you explain the millions of sucessful blacks and other minorities that are in this country? What, are they just lucky? How insulting that is to to them. They worked hard to be successful.

[edit on 24-11-2006 by craig732]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
My ancestors fought against the American Revolution, and tried to deny independence to the "Whites" in America.

"Whites" will also be a minority in the USA by 2050. They already are in several states.

There is alot of baggage that is going to hung with a "White" only scholarship. I can see that point. But I also find it hypocritical to deny Whites from only having a specific scholarship.

Being White in the USA gives you some unspoken advantages in life I fee, but that only goes so far.

To deny a person a scholarship, because he is a poor White person from a rough neighborhood, and say a rich African American gets a scholarship from the United Negro fund is how do we say.....racist.

I think helping try fix the wrongs of the past is a good idea. If this "White" scholarship is not like several million in funds, what is the big deal? Are you racist against a white person, because he or she is white? Shame on you.

There are many historically "black" colleges in the South. Why is there no rush to try to intregrate these colleges to be a spectrum of society? Or historically Women's colleges, where is the out cry to let men in? The big stink over the Citidel, and how many Women's Colleges are in Boston Massachusetts? Both accept federal aid.

Women are a vast majority in completing 4 year degrees in college now. There wa
s a huge program to close the math gap with boys. Well where is the effort to close the bachelors degree gap in college to help boys right now? You will not hear it or find it. Where is the Male Title IX for college degrees?

I'm not a big fan of this White only scholarship, but to think there are not many needy poor people out there that are only minorities (at this time.) is crazy.

If you want to deny a person a scholarship then you can be the person to restrict that needy person, and possibly subjuctgate them to McDonalds.

Maybe we need to make all scholarships non race related period. To deny one area is racist, and denies the poverty of "Whites". So poor "White" kids are not supposed to be educated?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join