It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethiopia Ready For War With Somali

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Ethiopia's Prime Minister indicated that Ethiopia could use force to defend itself against Somali Islamists. Islamic Courts Union had earlier declared a Holy War against Ethiopia. Prime Minister Meles Zenawi said that the Islamists who declared Holy War against Ethiopia are a "clear and present danger" to Ethiopia. Ethiopia has not declared war against Somalia, if the problem is not solved peacefully, then the parliament should allow the government to defend the country. Lawmakers in Ethiopia's parliament ended up rejecting Meles motion.

voanews.com
"I'm hearing that the prime minister's message is going to be misinterpreted, that the country of Ethiopia has declared war against Somalia," said Hailu. "That is completely wrong. What the prime minister said is that we are trying to solve the problem peacefully. If this option is not successful, the parliament should allow the government to use its legal right to defend the country."

But officials of the Islamic Courts Union, who reportedly met in the capital Mogadishu to discuss the issue shortly after the motion was put forward, say otherwise.

The French news agency, AFP, quoted an Islamic Courts Union spokesman as saying Meles' motion is a threat to regional peace and that Ethiopia was showing what he called "reckless, war-thirsty behavior."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When first reading this it made my stomach turn, not good at all. Then I wondered if the Prim Minister could just be blowing some wind to get the attention of political parties. I have not been to good at telling when someone is just blowing wind. I looked up Ethiopia on Google Earth. Ethiopia is bordered by Somalia, and Sudan, among others. The violence committed by Sudan in the last few years goes beyond being horrible, barbaric, uncivilized atrocities. So what if this situation should break out into war? Could the fate of Ethiopia fall to the same fate of the Darfur region of Sudan? It has been said hear on ATS that eleven nations have been funding Islamists in one way or another. Should the same happen with a conflict between Ethiopia and Somalia? I can't say that I know the answer, but I do know that the Islamic countries that give to support Islamic movements definitely do not lack the gold to do so.

Related News Links:
www.shabelle.net
www.washingtonpost.com
www.bloomberg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Somalia: Mogadishu Is Burning
11 States Fuel Islamic Civil War in Somalia

Link to map of Ethiopia and the surounding nations.

[edit on 23-11-2006 by RedGolem]

join