It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Echolocation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I understand that this is biological and anatomical rather than health and well-being. Mods feel free to delete or move it to a more appropriate area if deemed necessary.

Echolocation.

Echolocation, also called Biosonar, is the biological sonar used by several mammals such as bats, dolphins and whales.

en.wikipedia.org...
Basically, some animal's can make sounds which cause vibrations to bounce off near objects, allowing the animal to 'see' what is around them.

Several days ago I heard that some blind people have the ability for echolocation.
I knew as a Fact that in order for an animal to have or use echolocation, they need to meet the requirements. The requirements being specific organs or orifices. Based on these facts I deemed the idea of humans using echolocation as ridiculous nonsense. (Nonsense....
No pun intended
)

Although my mind was set on the topic, I did some researchand was shocked at what I found. It turns out that human's can use echolocation. I have not heard of this before, and It's not new either. It has been around for at least 70 years.

I'm sure that some of you had already known this. For those of you who didn't already know, and are interested in learning more; I have left some links on the topic.

www.hcs.harvard.edu...
en.wikipedia.org...
hubel.sfasu.edu...
www.answers.com...
cogprints.org... (Warning: this is a PDF file)
joybringer.zaadz.com...
www.associatedcontent.com...

I for one would love to try to learn it. Unfortuneatly with my luck, I will go deaf soon after...

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Excellent research.

I learned a lot from your post - and I really am amazed that people can use echolocation.

wow

Thanks.

new topics

join