It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Police 'Regularly Torture'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

News BBC

Russian security officials are regularly subjecting detainees to beatings, rape and torture, a report by Amnesty International says.

More than 100 cases were documented in a small number of regions, although Chechnya - where incidences are said to be much higher - was not included.

The report said in some cases convicted inmates were used to torture suspects.

Amnesty called on the Russian government to protect the rights of those in detention.

"We are hearing horrendous reports of prisoners being tortured in police detention in Russia - beatings with fists, plastic bottles full of water, books, truncheons and poles, of suffocation, the use of electroshocks and of organised rape," UK campaign director Tim Hancock said.

Amnesty International

"All forms of torture or other ill-treatment are unequivocally prohibited at all times and in all circumstances under international human rights law. However, police officers use torture in detention centres across the country."
Nicola Duckworth, Director of Amnesty International's Europe and Central Asia Programme

A new Amnesty International (AI) report brings to light the practice of torture and ill-treatment throughout Russia. Beatings with fists, plastic bottles full of water, books, truncheons and poles; suffocation; electroshocks to different areas of the body are some of the means of torture or other ill-treatment. AI has been told are used by the police in order to extract confessions from detained suspects.

AI researchers have also been told by former detainees of a special room fitted with a metal table with wrist and leg restraints used for rape. These practices are in violation of Russia's national and international obligations and the report details the lack of convincing efforts to eradicate the problem.

Well the Russian Police sure have an "Effective" Crime Solving Techniques;

If the prisoner is innocent, he sure will scream whatever you want to stop the Torture, commited by the Russia Police on him - I mean, beating with plastic bottles full of water, electroshocks, rape? Sounds like a bad day at Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo, yet we are just talking about normal Police officers.

So I have a Question:

Do you think that the Russkies have gotten over the limit because, they see that today just about EVERYBODY is using Torture, even the Peace-Loving-Democracy-Spreading United States in the War on Terror?

Or have they used torture before and this just surfaced out now?

[edit on 23/11/06 by Souljah]

[edit on 23/11/06 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Or have they used torture before and this just surfaced out now?

I think Russians have been doing this for a long time, Stalin was probably even worse than Hitler in terms of killing "undesirables".

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think Russians have been doing this for a long time, Stalin was probably even worse than Hitler in terms of killing "undesirables".

But OK - the torture scandals out of US are almost always focused on War on Terror and on the USArmy and CIA; yet in the case of Russians, they perform severe acts of torture in their POLICE deparments. Well that is kind of alarming. What is the FSB or the Russian Army or the Russian Intel doing then? Especially in Chechnya?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why bring Americans into a thread right from the get go when you labeled it about Russians? Is this perhaps another attempt just to start thread under one premise so you can bash Americans and perhaps Brits?

Also while the Russians may torture, Chinea and NK are far worse, they just kill you.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Very good, shots. You have revealed his ulterior motive, as if it were any surprise! But for that, my friend, you deserve this:

You have voted shots for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Thanks for calling a spade a spade.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
As the EU-Russia summit approaches the wave of anti Russian propaganda continues to be pumped out by the USUK state-controlled media.

I find it fascinating how some posters treat these reports unquestioningly as fact.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Why bring Americans into a thread right from the get go when you labeled it about Russians? Is this perhaps another attempt just to start thread under one premise so you can bash Americans and perhaps Brits?

It was a Question - since the start of War of Terror, Torture has become very popular don't you think? I find it terrible that Russian Police is performing such torture in their dungeouns, and the question was, if the Russian Police was this brutal even before they joined the in the crusade against Islam, which we see today in effect.

So tell me - does US goverment use use Torture, or is that interrogation technique reserved only for China, North Korea and other Axis of Evil?

Also while the Russians may torture, Chinea and NK are far worse, they just kill you.

So are we Defending the Russians right now?

Actually I am well aware that Chinese torture techniques are far worse then any of the western ones - still, does that make this story any better?

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by blablablaxyz
As the EU-Russia summit approaches the wave of anti Russian propaganda continues to be pumped out by the USUK state-controlled media.

Well I kind of agree with you, that corporate media can not be trusted.

But what about Amnesty International, on which the BBC news was based on?

Also Propaganda?

I find it fascinating how some posters treat these reports unquestioningly as fact.

So you have seen how Russian Police interrogates in their dungeons?

Or better yet - do you classify as torture, beating up with fists, plastic bottles full of water and rape?

top topics

join