It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German propaganda video, showing off their military vehicles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

It shows all of Germany's vehicles. Like the music. It almost persuaded me that we should buy German vehicles only.

It's worth watching.

I'm curious about the Boxer APV. Looks interesting.

Love the way they made it. But it pales in comparison to the Future Combat System Hollywood style scenarios.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

German propaganda video

errrr no - it is a advertising showcase for Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH.

It shows all of Germany's vehicles.

no , it does not it only shows equipment from one manufacturer . where is the :

MARDER :

WIESEL :

TH301 :

TRANSPORTPANZER1 [fuchs] :

inshort anything by Rheienmettal , Jung Henschel etc etc ????????

Love the way they made it. But it pales in comparison to the Future Combat System Hollywood style scenarios.

ah so you prefer style over substance .

PS - remind me to dismiss any american advertising as " us propaganda " , as you have set the benchmark

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I swear, anything with nationalistic sentiment done by other countries is propaganda.

On the documentary Outfoxed, one of the men interviews remarks that the U.S. has a propaganda model that is probably the best in the world, far better than anything even the Soviet Union had. That is something to remember the next time another deltaboy or WestPoint decides to push something foreign as propaganda.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

German propaganda video

errrr no - it is a advertising showcase for Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH.

It shows all of Germany's vehicles.

no , it does not it only shows equipment from one manufacturer .

Exactly. None of the vehicles have proper insignia of the Bundeswehr (the Y-license plate or the Iron Cross), the "soldiers" in the vid have unmarked and - to some extent - fantasy uniforms. Also, german unit designation are usually NOT "Charlie" or "Delta"

BTW, apart from the Gepard A2 Flak-tank (1997) all the shown vehicles/modifications are from the year 2000 or younger.

where is the :

inshort anything by Rheienmettal , Jung Henschel etc etc ????????

Rheinmetall cooperates on most larger products with KMWeg nowadays (for example the GTK Boxer or the new IFV Puma). The defence part of Henschel is now incorporated into Rheinmetall, the civilian section was taken by Thyssen.

I'm curious about the Boxer APV. Looks interesting.

Yes... "Hollywood style scenarios" in the Star Wars sense - as in "equally probable"...

Firstly, the FCS is nothing but artists impressions and prototype designs at the moment... unlike the Boxer which is almost ready to roll out. Personally, I highly doubt that the FCS in the currently planned shape can ever come to fruition - not the least because the whole idea is to make them rapid-deployable by C-130; at the same time the technical demands are so high that some versions obviously can´t be made fitting into the thin 20t- lift weight frame of the C-130.

Secondly, the comparison is of the Aplles-and-Oranges type. The FCS is a series of multi-purpose combat vehicles - the Boxer however is a "classic" APC with limited offensive capabilities (as long as no offensive module is planned). It is meant to replace all variants of the M113, the Fuchs and the Luchs recce tank. The direct US counterpart of the Boxer would not be the FCS, but the Stryker.

And I definately know WHICH one pales in a comparison of the Boxer and the Stryker

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Lonestar24,

I say deltaboy just dug himself into a hole with the Hollywood statement.

You said it best. FCS is PURELY conjecture at this point in time, nothing more. There is nothing FCS has presented so far that would be effective cost-wise or performance-wise. They are expensive, lumbering systems that are basically steel boxes with too many Alienware computers in them. The entire program is set to cost $333 billion and there is nothing that suggests the program has gotten anywhere. Just look at Force XXI and how it was never fully implemented, except for inside two divisions in limited numbers.

Now, the good news. Here's an alternative approach to FCS:
A Future Combat System

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well, it is quite obvious that the US Army suffers from mismanagement and has done so for years. While the Navy and Air Force introduce state-of-the-art or even groundbreaking technologies on a regular basis, nothing much has happened on the ground. The most notable changes were a sub-par urban taxi (the Stryker) and a new BDU. I think the problem may be this eerie fixation on a concept-to-rule-them-all, like the FCS.

Billions are spent here while they are STILL not able to decide on where to go with the HMMWV and its dangerous patrol missions.... not understandable since there are literally dozens of vehicles precisely aimed for these tasks available around the world.... For example the Dingo 1 and 2 from the video, or several vehicles from Australia or South Africa. Mowag of Switzerland even provides a fully redesigned HMMWV, the armored Mowag EAGLE.

Well, and now the FCS... introduced loud-mouthed and claims of "electric propulsion" or mounted laser weapons... features that have since dropped from the product portfolio. I really don´t see the sense in having an idiotic demand of features that are BOUND to be cancelled because they are simply not feasible or do-able. Maybe it is really time to kick the american defense contractors into their crown jewels for once... and buy a foreign system that provides the same capabilities at half the development time and a fraction of the costs, to get them to their senses.

Also, that fixation on vehicles being C-130 transportable - perfectly understandable since this is the american transport workhorse... but you cant build an effective fighting machinery with a rigid 20t MAX limit. And once this idea gets scrapped and a heaver MLC (military load class) of 30 is agreed upon, just adapt the CV90, or the Boxer if wheels are what it should be. Or go even further to MLC 40: The german PUMA IFV weighs 31t and can standardly be up-armored to 43t. So that means a Puma minus its turret (about 3t) has an effective useable free weight of 15+ metric tons - without ANY rework of the suspension, propulsion or chassis!

Not to forget, all three, the CV90, Boxer and Puma, were already built with modularity in mind.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
the germans must pay their soliders alot to get a nice ride like that
talking about the sports car at the start of the film

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thats no sports car, its a Saab 9-3 convertible. Basically an Opel Vectra and cheaper than a BMW 3 at around 33.000€ - thats a middle class price in Germany. Lets say the man in the vid is a Sergeant of 25 years, married with child, then he´d get around 2300€ after taxes - high-risk tasks, night-and weekend bonuses not included.

The real money however is in foreign deployment... there you can earn almost double.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
WOW!

Or as we say in Germany, 'Vorsprung durch Technique!'

Talk about Blazing Saddles! Only the Jerry's could call a Lannie, a MUNGO!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
maybe i have watched too much WW2 films, but these guys to me look more like soldiers than the american ones. i like the looks of these equipments more

new topics

top topics

join