It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO's Reach Extends To The Pacific Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Australia is set to expand its relationship with NATO. This will make it more likely for Australian solders to be sent to international spots of unrest. Several hundred Australians are already under NATO command in Afghanistan. At a NATO summit in Brussels President Bush plans to propose an arrangement that will include Australia. It is said that the other countries involved will be Japan, South Korea, Sweden and Finland.

www.theage.com.au
AUSTRALIA is set to expand its relationship with NATO, with troops more likely to work with the alliance in international hot spots.

Several hundred Australians are already serving under NATO command in Afghanistan.

At a NATO summit in Brussels next week, US President George Bush will propose a partnership arrangement for five countries, including Australia, that would expand the reach of the Atlantic alliance into the Pacific Ocean.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My opinion on this is mostly a little mixed. I am all for nations working together to maintain there security. I also wonder just how much good this will do in the long term. NATO has not always acted when it was necessary. That being said if the nations involved do not choose to act and commit when the time comes that it is necessary, then what good will it do with these nations acting with NATO? The League Of Nations proved to be a lame duck. NATO is somewhat better, but without the will to commit any alliance will just be lame.

Related News Links:
voanews.com
english.people.com.cn
www.weartv.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
First Tournament for 2006
The New Military
Round 3. Thelibra V Ktprktpr: Non-Western Democracy

[edit on 22-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 22-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
League of Nations and the UN are more like International diplomatic peacekeeping organizations. I am pretty sure NATO is nothing more than a military alliance. Kind of like, if one NATO nation is attacked, they all are. Of course there are other stipulations to the North Atlanitc Treaty of 1949, of which you can view the entirety of it in the following source.

Dyepes,
Yes all of that is true, but the point I was trying to make is that the league of Nations failed. Although be it I am no expert on that time of history but I would not doubt it is because the nations failed to take action soon enugh, or at all. NATO did seem to serv its purpose through the cold war, but I now do belive the charter needs a re write.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
NATO served a purpose during the Cold War, it was an alliance meant to strengthen the response and opposition against the Soviets and Warsaw. Now it has to expanding in the Pacific to contain China, the pacific is the region of the upcoming Cold War 2.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
NATO served a purpose during the Cold War, it was an alliance meant to strengthen the response and opposition against the Soviets and Warsaw. Now it has to expanding in the Pacific to contain China, the pacific is the region of the upcoming Cold War 2.

WestPoint,
I can't call what you are saying wrong, that could very well happen. Although be it in one sence if there is a cold war two, that would not be an all bad thing if it stays a cold war. The leader of the U.S. and Soviat were both smart enugh to keep the cold war cold. However I fear the leaders of the Middle East may not be that way. On that regard I do hope I will be wrong.

new topics

top topics

join