It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist Caches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How about it? What kind of setup do you have/plan to have?

Container?
Concealment?
Contents?
Location?

I don't have one yet, but i may be putting one or more together soon and i'm looking for ideas.

mod edit: edited title due to creation of new forum

[edit on 12-12-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
hehehehe.... i love it - Heres the daddy of all caches for you - as long as you can swim.

OK, heres to go.

5 or 6 five gallon drums with lids that are rated air tight.

vacuum sealed bags. (where you stuff the stuff in them, use the vacuum tp pull out all the air types).

Get all you want to stash for a rainy day
and place it into the bags - each bag gets an equal share of what you need to stash ie not all your eggs in one basket.

stuff in the bags? great. Now get your drums, and add your stuff to them.

Now, with water proof industrial adhesive, glue the lids tight shut. Liberal use of the glue their lad...thats right.
good so far...

Now, you need some water proof rope... see where this is going?

make harnesses for all your barrels, making sure there is plenty of rope for each one, and then get some weights.

Add the weights to the drum, fill your bath, and see if it is enough to sink or float.

So its sinking, great. Now load your car up.

Your looking for an area of water far from the maddening crowd really (or near to home but do this at night
)

Now, swimming time.

With your buddy (ies) get into the water, find a nice deep ish spot you can with a mask and fins dive down to the bottom. Now, go get your first barrel.

Take it to the bottom, weigh it down till its stays put, then rise back up to get another one.

Do this three times in a wide area, and you my friend have a vermin proof, thief proof cache.

No bears gonna dig, no robbers gonna swim, no fish is going to eat, nothing is going to touch your cache.

To retrive your cache, you and a buddy dive down, and you cut a few weights off and slow float it to the surface.

Dry your self off, get into your warm kit, and off you roll.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Good idea if there's water around! In the desert, that much water isn't easy to come by.

Cug

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
How about it? What kind of setup do you have/plan to have?

3 Caches 2 large one small. eventual plans call for 4 large ones.

Container?
Large - plastic tubs, sealed, all contents sealed with a commercial vacuum packer.
Small cache 5 gal bucket sealed etc..

Concealment?

one large buried, one cameoed and hidden.
small one hidden and cameoed

Contents?

Small one is basically a twin to my bug out bag
Large ones have enough for an extended field stay (6+ months)

Location?

Large ones various directions, all within 3 days hike (tested)

Small one located within about 30 min from my home.

All caches verified quarterly.

And technically you could say I have a cache in my vehicle.

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
To retrive your cache, you and a buddy dive down, and you cut a few weights off and slow float it to the surface.

Honest questions. What if you buddy is not around? If you need a mask and fins to put it there, why do you not have them in your bugout bag? In the winter time the water could be frozen and in any case I sure don't want to be swimming in the winter.

Well I hope someone likes this post.. I darn near burnt the loaf of bread I had in the oven because I got caught up typing this.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Dude, my buddy is always around. I married her. She swims like a fish, knife fights as well as I do, and can make a fire in a howling gale. Oh and can gut and prepare any fowl fish or meat there is.

Oh and build a snare or fish trap? no worries.. and we are friends with a few like minded peoples.

As for your ice thought - well, guess you don't like the cold...
but the uk water never freezes thicker than a sheet of paper.

But if it does, i'll just have to get a land cache won't I?!

Liked your post by the way. Great ideas and points about check /testing.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Man this is defiantly needed.
Ok I have a large catch at home, That includes Home canned foods for hunkering down. The beauty is It gets rotated out automatically as we get hungry.

I Also have a big family stash at my retreat up north. The food in that one is MRE's. Yes it gets rotated as well. We spend most of our summers there camping. When were not there the stash is broken up and a majority is berried or hidden under the floor boards of the shed. We map out the hiding places and the next year as were digging up the barrels were checking off the contents. The first few years I was worried about people finding my stash during the winter when ime not there but its a 45 minute hike in no vehicles can get that far in. its huffing in only. In 10 years nobody has ever disturbed my stash. In 10 years I don't even think anybody has walked my land. I have told several people who are important to me that if IT hits the fan meet me at a specific location witch I will check once a week and if they make it that far I will guide them to my Home base..

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hmm go to the mountains of Colorado with a rifle and lots of ammo. There you have the protection of realy realy thick mountains. A huge supply of elk, fresh water, plenty of wood. A lot of spots in Colorado have a high prevailing wind. So nuclear fallout would be minimised. There are springs in the high mountains that give out fresh water that isnt contaminated with geardia (SP) Just be sure to be on the eastern slope of the continental devide and your good.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Where would you guys think the best cache should be located? Your house/yard etc. or somewhere secluded aka woods, lake or something of the sort

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pita
Where would you guys think the best cache should be located? Your house/yard etc. or somewhere secluded aka woods, lake or something of the sort

This is an easy one IMO. Your Cache should be located in anyplace you are likely to be or go in a survival situation. My home cache is in my basement in my safe room. And of course ive already talked about my other cache. A cache wont do you any good if you cant get to it.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thats why more than one would be a great idea... north may be blocked but south is still routeable....

So what happens if souths cut off and norths the way to go and you only planned on heading south...well you missed out...

Now, if you can, a good home stash backed up by at least 3 land stashes and maybe 2 or 3 water stashes.

Excessive? well it may be, but I plan to be able to travel a long way stash to stash to get where i have a major link up point with others of the same mind set...

and yes, theres more than one RV if the ship hits like...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Guns not in my name.

coated w/ cosmoline, wrapped in plastic, taped shut.

Packed in a piece of large diameter PVC pipe, with uncooked rice at the bottom, to absorb moisture.

Caps cemented on each end of the PVC pipe.

Buried in a metal scrapyard, behind a barn, so that metal detectors won't reveal them.

top topics

join