It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

real mechs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
well japan has a mech out.it only moves 1 kilometer an hour an shoots out sqishy pellets(bean bags),and it costs 300,000 dollars.wat do u think just google it in and tell me wat u think.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Don't know what to tell you. Is this what you were talking about?
en.wikipedia.org...

Video of it:
Link

[edit on 21-11-2006 by secret_aircraft6]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
thats it rite there would u buy it or do u think its useless

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbie1989

It's a step in the right direction, but if you watch the video (I posted the link above), you will see that it will do very poorly on a rough surface. Indoors only I guess. I would not waste my money on it, but I'm not rich!

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
well secret i saw it and it is bad but if it performed better and i had a billiob id own bout 10 of em loaded wit real ammo for home security

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
bi-pedal development is cruising at a nice speed. i'm sure we're not too far off from a smoother, more capable 'bot. then there's the energy thing. cool idea though.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
they should build one of those asimos but make it huge. with all its stabilizers it could be cooler than that thing. but not sure it could be done with all that weight.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   

well japan has a mech out.it only moves 1 kilometer an hour an shoots out sqishy pellets(bean bags),and it costs 300,000 dollars.wat do u think just google it in and tell me wat u think.

I think that it is no Mech, but rather a golf cart on beams. That thing doesnt walk, it skates on wheels. The legs are only for show. And without some form of walking, it is no "mech". The "cockpit" is above the center of gravity all the time, the machine would likely tip over if it is on uneven ground.

Apart from that, if you want to present some interesting technology or concept here, just add a link yourself or what exactly to search for on google... the searchwords "Japan" and "mech" produce 1.2 million results

Of course it is useless. As said above, its a slow, cumbersome vehicle, not a mech.

Originally posted by secret_aircraft6
It's a step in the right direction, ...

Nope, its a technological dead-end. Anyone can build a vehicle on beams. There are three basic problems with building a mech of ANY kind:

- how to let it walk
- how to keep it upright
- how to gain a distinct advantage in any thinkable application

This japanese behemoth doesnt solve any of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Originally posted by secret_aircraft6
It's a step in the right direction, ...

Nope, its a technological dead-end. Anyone can build a vehicle on beams. There are three basic problems with building a mech of ANY kind:

- how to let it walk
- how to keep it upright
- how to gain a distinct advantage in any thinkable application

This japanese behemoth doesnt solve any of it.

Agree. All it does is it gets people talking about mechs. Thats a (small) start.

BTW, I do believe one of the european countries did create a tree cutting machine on 6 legs that walked (slowly) like a spider, but did less damage to the grass then wheels. I cant seem to find an article on it now. If anyone can post a link, that would be great. (It's much more advanced then this thing)

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think the first mechs to be mass manufactured will be for industries such as tree cutting or heavy lifting. I remember on the news about a year ago of a power suit (just the arms really) that allowed the user to lift alot of weight.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
lol when i saw it skating i doubled over
imagine what the recoil of a powerful mounted weapon would do to it
anyways i reckon a proper mech would need a tail for balance

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Although 'mechs are not in a forseeable future IMO, battlearmors and exo-suits are.

Instead of putting a human in a cockpit, build the machine around the human, giving the human super-strength and abilities with the help of nano-fibers and hydraulics.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Haha - that thing reminded me of Christmas’s past: toy looks good in the box but disappoints when you play with it.
You really need something 1/2 the size with infinitely more power to be any use.
I do see a point in them though - i think modern combat seems to be getting bigger without reason (im thinking about hummers here). There just big targets. A smaller mech would give armour protection without being a sitting duck.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ummm...yeah, okay...
I guess that's cool.
I mean, well, as long as whatever you're going after is reeeeeaaallly slow and weak against bean bags and handballs.
That thing looks like it's about to tip over at any second.
...also looks like each step it takes brings it that much closer to breaking apart.
Are you sure that thing wasn't made in the US?
(hah, just joking about that last part)

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
haha

a roller skating robot

that be handy in case of ........!?

this is a joke right

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
how about this thing

www.newlaunches.com...

Samsung has partnered with Korea university and developed the machine-gun equipped robotic sentry. It is equipped with two cameras with zooming capabilities one for day time and one for infrared night vision.

I dont think it is hard to imagine this with some legs

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
how about this thing

www.newlaunches.com...

Samsung has partnered with Korea university and developed the machine-gun equipped robotic sentry. It is equipped with two cameras with zooming capabilities one for day time and one for infrared night vision.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Is this what your talking about?.

Same thing with legs

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
well it is maybe what i mean

if i can see it move first cause thats what is wrong with the first posted mech to

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaamaan
how about this thing

www.newlaunches.com...

*sigh*

Are you aware that this is a simple autonomous gun? the only part of it that is really high-tech would be the image recognition software. Well, and it is very hard to imagine this thing put on legs.

I´d like anyone who thinks that mechs can´t be TOO hard to make to consider this for one second: How often have you seen a machine larger than lets say one meter that even REMOTELY moves with acceptable stability, speed and versatility - all the way powered for hours with its own energy supply? (And I MEAN only moving on legs, I´m not even considering any armor, sensors or weapons on that machine)

Right, never.

[edit on 23/11/2006 by Lonestar24]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join