It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

americans and their views on terrorists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
mod note sorry if this has been done or in the wronge place.

i have been reading the topics and was woundering why is it almost all americans never acknolodge that their country isnt a saint and is reposnsible for breading most terrorists out there with the sole purpose of keeping its power and having someone that can be used to fight its proxy wars.
and when they are done they are let loose.

here is the main question whats your views on the terroists and how do you think they were created, (the terroists that your country is now so called fighting to protect its self from)

[edit on 21-11-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
what do you mean by a nesessary evil. are you trying to justify your acts. two wrongs do not make a right. i myself belive in the 2nd amendment, but of which can be taken away just as fast as it was given, thanks to our gov't. is this what you mean by a nesessary evil, to supply arms for those so that they can defend themselves. and if so, suplying arms to who, the wrong, the right, the good , the evil. i really hope you are supplying arms to the good people(those who use arms for the use of protection, or hunting) not to those who use the arms just to kill for no apparent reason. this subject brings conflict in me because alot of wars have been fought over beliefs or control of. well, everyone has different beleifs, is this just cause, for a war or to kill, so one can defend oneself for his or her way of life, their beleifs. this is the crazy part, how are we to live in harmony, peace when different beleifs collide head on. example: irans ways and U.S.A ways. the arms dealer gives to both sides. i hate terrorists, all they want is to kill, to justify ones means for the benefit of a small few and for the benefit of what, a petty cause that knowone wants. example, hitlers hate for the jews or whites hate blacks or some other steriotypes terrorists believe in their cause. a cause for what, i say a cause for ignorance. i hate terrorists, they should all be exterminated with extreme predjudice. the same way they would treat you.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
There is no easy answer to that question.

When the Taliban were fighting the USSR we were more than happy to give them weapons and training. In the end they believed that if they could defeat the Soviets, they could defeat the U.S.

We did abandon them when they were of no longer use.

The U.S. supplies weapons to those who we side with today but will hate us for it tomorrow.

It is a problem. I like to think Bach had the right idea:

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift in its hand for you. We seek our problems because we need their gifts.

Perhaps someday we will learn.

[edit on 21-11-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am going to explaine this using the board game "Risk". It's simple and a lot of people have played it. Sometimes in order to win, you will have to make deals with the counties around you. They wont attack you for a while and you wont attack them. These are not writen rules, just spoken so you always have to watch your back just in case. In a few turns the deal dose not seem so good because you have already done what you needed to and you have to move on. So now the person you once had a deal with is now your enemey.

It's really kind of the same thing as what you are talking about. At times a certain group is in a good place to make a deal with. Then later on things change and they have to become your enemy. It's just how things are.

See the trick to this game is knowing that at some point you have to win. In real life this works kind of the same but on a much larger scale. We have politics, religion, and reasorces to worry about. Running a country is no easy task. Leaders have to think about where this country is going to be 5, 10, and 20 years from now. What do we use to fuel our planes, boats, and cars? We are talking about trainsporting goods, people, and powering things we need for everyday life. Sure the people up top think about money but where is their money going to go if this country fails? We are not just talking about the US but every country. What do you think these counties trying to develop WMD are doing? If you have a nuke on the table then you have a few chips to bet with. Do you think countries want to make deals with the US? Maybe, but maybe not. They know that the US can help them in the short term and they are hoping that it will help them in the long term.

Some of you need to realize just where things are going. Where is Iran? Oh yeah, it's right between the two counties the US has troops in. Not to mention there is a large body of water with US ships ready to fire a few missles just kind of near the area.

How many times in history have we had a country not try to maintain it's power and keep it? I think that brings us to today. As long as there is fighting, at least we know it would be somebody else if it was not us.

Styki

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
i have been reading the topics and was woundering why is it almost all americans never acknolodge that their country isnt a saint and is reposnsible for breading most terrorists out there with the sole purpose of keeping its power and having someone that can be used to fight its proxy wars.

God what a bunch bull. If you would do a little research most Americans would easily agree that the US has done some nasty things. Ever here about Vietnam? Most Americans have. Most Americans also know quite well that we've supported some pretty nasty regimes over the past few decades.

Originally posted by bodrul
here is the main question whats your views on the terroists and how do you think they were created, (the terroists that your country is now so called fighting to protect its self from)

In the first place the term terrorist is a pointy of view. We call them terrorists others might call them freedom fighters. And if you'd open a history book you'd see that these kind demonizations and canonizations have existed for hundreds if not thousands of year. In antiquity the Romans referred to virtually all outsiders as barbarians but if you'd take a look at some Roman customs(such as feeding live people to lions for entertainment)I think you'd see that it wasn't so obvious to who was the barbarian. Quite simply "terrorists" and "terrorism" weren't created they just exist as an reaction to another ist and ism like most things in this universe.

In direct answer to your question. I view the current War on Terrorism as similar to the Cold War, that is as an ideological battle. The ideolgy the US is in confrontation with is Islamic-Fascism. Which is from the point of view of most Americans and a significant amount of muslims as a corruption of Islam. The roots of this Islamic fundamentalist ideology can be traced to the Arab nationalist movements of the 50's and 60's. Many followers of the nationalist ideology became dissallusioned with the movement after the failure of the Six-day War and Black September. Many former nationalist abandoned the movement in favor of an Islamic ideology. Throughout the 70's your saw a rise in Islamist movements culminating in the overthrow of the US backed Iranian regime under the Shah Rasza Palavi. Late in that same year the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. The US(for its own interests)backed Afghani holy warriors-the mujahadeen. After 10yrs of warfare the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan. In Aug. 1990 Iraq under Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. The US led international response ejected Iraq from Kuwait but chose to remain a presence in the region. Many muslims thought the presence of non-muslims in the Islamic holy land sacralige against god. Enter Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda.

top topics

join