It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navajos` Environmental Cleanup Superfund a Super Flop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Despite the existence of a Federal "superfund", backed by the EPA with $1.6Bn of Government money. Environmental damage to Navajo reservations, mainly caused by Uranium mining for nuclear weapons programs is going largely untreated. While sites outside the reservations are enjoying the benefits of superfund cash and expertise, Navajo lands are having to beg and scrimp for clean up cash from other sources.

www.latimes .com
In 1998, the EPA finally began to test for radiation and water contamination throughout the reservation. Navajo leaders saw reason to hope for the thorough cleanup that had eluded them for so long. But the sampling effort ended prematurely after an argument between tribal and U.S. officials over control of information.

The Navajos demanded that the federal crew pack up and leave. The sampling never resumed.

Ordinary Navajos resolved to turn elsewhere for help.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If Federal funds are earmarked for these operations, why are they not being used? It beggars belief that contaminated sites like Red Valley mine and processing plant get the areas outside the Reservation cleaned up whilst the huge waste dumps inside the reservation are ignored.

This “superfund” should be kicked into high gear, and ALL areas cleaned up properly. The US government got their Atomic bombs, and the mine companies made their profits. Now it is time to reverse the damage, or compensate the Navajo for the loss of their land, and seal it till it is safe. Whenever that may be.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I heard that NONE of the Superfund sites are getting cleaned up any more.

...If the money is showing in the budget - then the funds apparently are being redirected.

Scandalous!

Illegal!

Predictable!

new topics

join