It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why dont Muslims eat pork?

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I was just wondering why muslims dont eat pork. I think most people think its because of their religion but I know some people think this is a misconception and its actually because in the middle east it was regarded as an unhealthy meat and also it goes bad too quickly?

what are your thoughts?




posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Yep. It has nothing to do with race. It is the Islamic (and Jewish) religion.

Basically, your body is a temple. Why pollute it with something that wallows in it's own faeces for it's entire life?





posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
what race are you talking about? being muslim means you follow Islam so maybe the modern world with refridgerators is actually confused about why they stopped eating pork in the first place?



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hi,

Here a good link about why I found it very quickly by using google, you'll probably find the answer quicker with a little research of your own using the search engine of your choice.

Interesting to note that christians are forbidden to eat pork too!



www.themodernreligion.com...

In folklore terms, eating the meat of the pig is said to contribute to lack of morality and shame, plus greed for wealth, laziness, indulgence, dirtiness and gluttony. We insult a person by calling him or her a "Pig" when they demonstrate these characteristics. Muslims are forbidden by God to eat the meat of the pig (pork).

This is detailed in verses 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, and 16:115 of the Qur'an. An exemplary verse is quoted here: "He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo


Interesting to note that christians are forbidden to eat pork too!



Where does it say that in the New Testament?

As far as I know, in Galatia a lot of the Jews wanted new non-jewish converts to christianity to follow the law, including the food-laws. Paul told them (paraphrased) to get real, so the new converts could eat what they liked. (Galatians 2:11-17 & 3:15-25)

Ergo christians can eat pork if they so wish.

Personally I hate pork sausages, but a bit of pork steak or a few slices of bacon go down a treat.

As for following the law of the Old Testament to the letter, how many Jewish people go outside their village to do their 'ablutions' nowadays? (Deuteronomy 23:11-13)

There's also a stipulation about a Rabbi being supposed to have perfect eyesight as well. (Leviticus 21:17-23) I'm sure I've seen Rabbis wearing glasses.

So, if some laws are no longer in effect then why are others? Not criticising, just wondering.


[edit on 21/11/06 by jimboman]

[edit on 21/11/06 by jimboman]



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
Hi,

Here a good link about why I found it very quickly by using google, you'll probably find the answer quicker with a little research of your own using the search engine of your choice.


clap clap clap clap clap round of applause for Arnold. Theres no need for clever comments this is a topic for discussion not only research. If it wasnt for research I wouldnt have posted this item, I didnt have a dream about this you know. I was after the views of the members on this site.



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Where does it say that?


link
Deuteronomy, XIV: 8

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass


also, Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5

also, Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Muslims don't eat pork because it is forbidden them in the Koran.


Forbidden to you for (food) are: dead meat,
blood and the flesh of the swine and that
which hath been invoked the name other than
Allah. "
Holy Qur'an 5:4


Pigs are carriers of all kinds of nasty worms, viruses, bacteria. The worst being TRICHINELLA SPIRATIS. There's no cure for this worm if you get infected. Of course if you cook it well then there's no problem *ummmm bacon* but if you don't you could end up with a number of nasty infections. Until modern cooking methods came along pork was a gamble to eat. I think the fact that a lot of these animals are raised on farms now also cuts down the rate of pigs who eat junk that causes them to be disease carriers.



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by g60kg
Being muslim means you follow Islam.

No. Muslim is a race. Islam is the religion you are referring to.
It's like Judaism. Jewish is a race. Judaism is a Religion. Not all Jews follow Judaism.


Originally posted by g60kg
Maybe the modern world with refridgerators is actually confused about why they stopped eating pork in the first place?

What gives you that impression?
1) Read the Qu'ran. It was written 1500 something years ago. It states not to eat pig for the reason I provided. No one had refridgerators back then.
2) Just because of what you may see on TV it does not make it real. The countries you see that are predominantly Muslim tend to be 'dusty deserted places.' They dont show the metropolis that they are.
3) Not all Muslims live in those places anyway. You probably have one living on your block. Go ask them if they have a refridgerator. You might be supprised.



Originally posted by jimboman. Edited by Gear
Interesting to note that christians are forbidden to eat pork too!
...
Where does it say that?

In the old testament.



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear

No. Muslim is a race. Islam is the religion you are referring to.
It's like Judaism. Jewish is a race. Judaism is a Religion. Not all Jews follow Judaism.


Muslim is not a race. Muslim means one who submits to Allah. People from around the world can be Muslim. Its not the same as a white person can change his or her skin to be part of the black race. Arabs, whites, blacks, hispanics can be Muslims, but they are not a race.



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Originally posted by jimboman
Where does it say that?


link
Deuteronomy, XIV: 8

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass


also, Isaiah chapter 65 verse 2-5

also, Leviticus chapter 11 verse 7 and 8



I changed my original post to make it more understandable. Guess you got your reply in before I could!



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear

1) Read the Qu'ran. It was written 1500 something years ago. It states not to eat pig for the reason I provided. No one had refridgerators back then.
2) Just because of what you may see on TV it does not make it real. The countries you see that are predominantly Muslim tend to be 'dusty deserted places.' They dont show the metropolis that they a
3) Not all Muslims live in those places anyway. You probably have one living on your block. Go ask them if they have a refridgerator. You might be supprised.





I think you misunderstood me Im not talking about people not having fridges now in modern times Im talking about thousands of years ago when pork would go off so quickly maybe thats why it was written into religion to stop people from eating it and becoming ill. Im not sure why you assumed that i imagine the middle east to be just dessert I have been there I know of the cities :bnghd:



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Facts on Pork



Muslims are forbidden by God to eat the meat of the pig (pork).

This is detailed in verses 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, and 16:115 of the Qur'an. An exemplary verse is quoted here: "He has only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and any (food) over which the name of other than Allah has been invoked. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Is Pork Forbidden to Muslims Only?

The Jews and Christians are also forbidden from eating pork. Here is a quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

Many Christians believe that this verse was directed only at the Jews. But Jesus himself says during the Sermon on the Mount; "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Some Christians say that, after a vision by St. Peter, God cleansed all animals and made them fit and lawful for human consumption. If ALL animals are cleansed by Peter's vision, this includes dogs, cats, vultures, and rats: but you just don't see people getting excited about a cat-meat sandwich like they do over barbecued pork or bacon. Others say that it was Paul who rescinded the law forbidding pork to humans, in order to appease the Romans, who enjoyed the taste of pig-meat. Many excuses have been given, but none are very sound.


I googled the thread title and there's lots of information our there on it.


It seems it is in the Qur'an and the bible. But people interpret the bible (and I'm sure the Qur'an) to fit their views many times. Interestingly, Christians who freely eat pork (and shellfish) give credence to other OT verses of their choosing. Some are "no longer valid" and some still are. For reasons that aren't clear. To me.



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But people interpret the bible (and I'm sure the Qur'an) to fit their views many times. Interestingly, Christians who freely eat pork (and shellfish) give credence to other OT verses of their choosing. Some are "no longer valid" and some still are. For reasons that aren't clear. To me.


Would you care to give examples? I know some cults that do that regarding things like blood transfusions but they aren't christians. Give me examples and you might find I'll probably agree with you on some of them! I know I can be a bit of a hypocrite sometimes myself. Human nature though. 'Nobody's perfect' (old guy at the end of Some Like it Hot to Jack Lemmon).



posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Would you care to give examples?


I will U2U you as to not take this thread off topic.



posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Muslim is not a race. Muslim means one who submits to Allah. People from around the world can be Muslim. Its not the same as a white person can change his or her skin to be part of the black race. Arabs, whites, blacks, hispanics can be Muslims, but they are not a race.

I refuse to listen to your propaganda.
Please don't waste my time. I have more important things to do.
I don't care if you live in a fantasy world, just don't try to drag me into it!


Nah, I'm only joking. I hereby retract my statement and apologise to both you, and G60kg.



posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
I refuse to listen to your propaganda.
Please don't waste my time. I have more important things to do.
I don't care if you live in a fantasy world, just don't try to drag me into it!


Nah, I'm only joking. I hereby retract my statement and apologise to both you, and G60kg.



haha thats so funny, no need to apologise. I almost didnt read the last sentence of your post and was about to unleash the rath lol



posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Christians do not have to keep kosher, it's in the Bible here:



Acts 10:9 - 15

9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."



posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Matthew 15:10/11 And he called the people to him and said to them "Hear and understand: It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this is what defiles a person".

Yeshua is saying here that there are no unclean animals, and that it what you say that makes you unclean, not what you eat.

in the ancient days, when men were superstious.. or more so then now. If someone ate something.. got sick and dropped dead, then it was obviously a sign of God's anger at them for eating it.. we have learned otherwise since then



posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Not many animals including human stomachs can digest pork.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join