It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methods of hiding a base? Biggest threats of..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I am curious methods of hiding a base also what are the biggest threats of a base's operations of being found?

I think heat signitures. I am not sure how much heat would be given off from a roof but if you are testing engines etc I imagine enough. Now is this a simple fix like 5 feet of concrete roof or would you need to be submerged in water?

Has there ever been a base built than they opend a dam or something to allow the water to cover it and having upward tunnels for entrance/exits?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
the obvious solution to your " engine test bed " conundrum is to locate it adjacent to your power plant - and use ducting to vent the exhaust gasses and extracted air from your engine test beds up the flue of the base furnaces .

the art of deception / concealment is not to attempt to make your covert activity " disapear" but to make observers think that an obvious and mundane source of similar emmisions to the ones you wish to conceal is the cause of all such emmissions

if your " secret base " activities will generate unusual levels of radiation - build a nuclear powerplant @ the same site - it will both sheild you from prying eyes - provide free power and give you an excellent outer security perimeter

if it is going to generate large amounts of foul odours - build a waste recycling and incineration plant as a " cover structure "

etc etc

what ever the " unusual " activity that would stand out like a soore thumb - there is a "harmless " and mundane process which can be used to mask and sheild the activity you wish to keep secret .

[edit on 21-11-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I remember an article in Popular Science about how the Russians colcealed their testing facility for engines (currently rd-180) use on spacecrafts. The facility is located very close to Moscow (in its vacinity, I think this is the address - 1 Burdenko ulitsa, Khimki, Moscow Oblast 141400 ) inside regular 9 story buildings. They put a lot of "water towers" around them and thats how they released the gasses from the test firings. I remember one quote:
"They could conduct two test per week, and only 60 hertz (I'm dumb, correct me if Im mistaken about the hertz part) would reach the outside world"

Pretty cool. I can't find the article online. Some help? The company right now is called "Energomash".

www.nti.org...

[edit on 21-11-2006 by secret_aircraft6]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
secret_aircraft6, interesting you mentioned that russian facility because I think I read the same article, but couldnt remember what publication I saw it in
I thought it might have been Wired, but I guess not. I also thought that it was a missile silo facility, but I guess not. IIRC the reporter from the magazine was taken to the facility which looked like a normal building in the moscow suburbs.

I will try to look for the article, and if you happen to find it please post it as I would like to read it again

[edit on 22-11-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
secret_aircraft6, interesting you mentioned that russian facility because I think I read the same article, but couldnt remember what publication I saw it in
I thought it might have been Wired, but I guess not. I also thought that it was a missile silo facility, but I guess not. IIRC the reporter from the magazine was taken to the facility which looked like a normal building in the moscow suburbs.

I will try to look for the article, and if you happen to find it please post it as I would like to read it again

[edit on 22-11-2006 by warpboost]

Popular Science, 2001 or 2002.. Dont remember which year. But anyways, I dont belivie the article is in their archives. Will search for it though.

Edit: How come I cant edit my previous post? It should say 60 db instead of 60 hertz. Thats what being on here late at night after days of work will do to you!

[edit on 22-11-2006 by secret_aircraft6]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Got it. August 2000 issue. Cover:
"Russia's Secret Rocket Complex"
Will post scans later (Thursday). Cheers.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by secret_aircraft6]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Awesome you found it! I spent a lot of time looking for it with no luck, and as far as I can tell the popsci website is worthless as far as retrieving info from old issues.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your scan as I have been looking for this article again for a while

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I did some more searching and had what I thought was a great idea to use the internet archive to look at the popsci site from Aug. 2000 which I was able to pull up.

if you use the below link you'll see the first headline for the cover story is "Rocket's Red Glare: A Russian engine propelling a U.S. rocket spurs a behind-the-scenes look at Russia's once-secret rocket facility
but then it says (Print edition only)

web.archive.org...

so I guess I'll have to wait until you scan it

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sorry wasnt able to scan the magazine cause I was working...
Will do so on Tuesday (My first day off since last Friday.. sucks)

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Alright.. Really tired, but scanned the article. Rared the pics and uploaded them here:
www.filefactory.com...
(Scroll down and click on "Click here to begin your download ")

Could someone make 1 pdf out of all of them?

Good night!

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Thank you for posting the article

I have a hard time believing the part where it says NRO satellites couldn't find the facility. And here is why

On June 20, 1956, the first U-2 flight over a "denied area"—Warsaw Pact airspace—was made. The flight passed over Czechoslovakia, Poland, and East Germany. On July 1956, flights over the Soviet Union itself commenced, with a flight over Leningrad to photograph the shipyards. MiG fighters attempted to intercept the U-2, which was detected by Soviet radars, but were unable to attain its altitude. The next day a U-2 overflew Moscow itself, photographing the Kliningrad missile factory and Khimki rocket-engine factory north of the city.

Source

I think I found the facility in google earth, but I'm not 100% sure. You can see the large cooling tower, and it looks like the only one around

I also noticed that it's just across the river from Dolgoprudny which is home to the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology which I believe has some deep ties to Energomash and rocket science.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think the best way to hide a base is to present it as something it is not so that people don't make the connection. If people begin to suspect an area then they can find evidence to prove their suspicions but a good disguise may work best of all.

I always wondered about Disney World myself.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sorry to dig up an old post but I was reading the scanned pop mechanics article scan again and wondering about this place. I can't find much online and have posted what I have already.

I really wonder if the secret rocket test base that they visited in the popular mechanics article in khimki with the red and white cooling tower used to vent rocket exhaust is the place I posted a pic from google earth. You can go to google maps or wherever and use the coordinates 55.916206, 37.445757 to check it out.

This place is a perfect example of a base that remained hidden in plain site for a long time if that's the same place.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As previously stated. The best way to hide anything that is wanted to be kept secret is to hide it in plain site. No one ever suspects it, well except the select few like us. However, a normal person on their normal daily routine does not perceive things that are obviously out of the normal because they are too busy with their day to day lives to look and see and say , " wow thats not normal". With the way our lives are in the U.S. we only see and hear what we want. Perception is everything, and many people would never know if they were living next door to say a secret genetics lab. Thats just an example. I mean, people live next door to say a meth lab and that is something that is highly easy to know is there simply by the foul odors and the objects that would have to be brought into the house, but nope the neighbor doesnt know till the house is raided or explodes. Same principle applies to the OP. People are not looking for these out of wack things so they never see them. As my signature says, "The most likely explanation to any mystery in life is hiding right under our noses in plain sight." That's by far is the truest statement anyone can say. because I know that after I began opening my eyes and looking around at the world, I have seen far more out of place things and things make more sense. So open your eyes, ears, nose, all of your senses and I garantee that you will also find that statement true, maybe not in regards to finding a secret base filled with strange and interesting things, but it will open you up to seeing far more into the world we live in and the things hiding in plain site.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
These are the way they hide there secret base locations.One.They release false stories on the internet than the bases are located at area 51 and dulce but of course are not all.They ulter google earth imaging of secret areas.They cover there base locations with false images of forest or desert.Satallites are no problem either.They discuse top side base facilities with other buildings and equipment than might look like a cement or construction company instead.They don;t use road to get to the base.They use dry river beds for vehical traffic to fool people looking on google earth imaging.Don;t bother following the over head power lines.All the base lines are underground.There vehicals might look like a power company van or forest worker jeep.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
1. Put your base inside a mountain near a dry lakebed.
2. Locate it in an area surrounded for miles and miles by other, legitimate military bases.
3. Put it somewhere nobody wants to go (like a former a-bomb testing range)
4. Entrances/Exits are through the nearby bases, via a connecting underground transit system.
5. Test at night, in an area known for several other test ranges.
6. Uphold all personnel to the strictest secrecy. Make severe examples out of any who breach this security (or bring them back into the fold).
7. Buy up surrounding land around the bases that are around your secret base.

Sound like any place you know?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The real serious alien bases are infact very deep under the sea or on the moon.Some of theses bases don;t even let humans work or visit these very secret bases.Even some areas of the dulce base are off limits to all humans.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GORGANTHIUM
The real serious alien bases are infact very deep under the sea or on the moon.Some of theses bases don;t even let humans work or visit these very secret bases.Even some areas of the dulce base are off limits to all humans.

Thank you Gorg, but I feel it might be time to ease off these kinds of statements you make, time and time again. I find them entertaining though, albeit completely unconfirmed.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
We don;t conceal them. We stole the russian platform for secret+ research. We stick it right under the general public's noses and no one questions it.

Exactly how the russians built the most technologically advanced biological and chemical weapons program ever. All the research was conducted at civilian and public facilities under guises as biomedical or defense research.

top topics

join