It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran - Suicide is the second leading cause of death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Well i always beleived the Nuclear Islamofascist rulers of Iran where systematically destroying there nation from within, this helps proves it, Suicide is now the second highest cause of Death in Iran, People cant take it any more and see death as the only answer, lets go liberate these poor souls, a few well placed cruise missiles could save these people before its too late.

Tehran (AsiaNews) – Suicide, especially among women, is the second leading cause of death in Iran. Everyday, Tehran’s Loqman Hospital admits scores of would-be suicides. However, officials in this and other hospitals tend to downplay the incidence of suicides in Iran, partly due to government pressure, partly due to the experts’ view that such news would cause even a further spike in suicide rates. In fact the head of Iran’s Forensic Medicine Organisation is quoted by the Sedaye Edalat daily as saying that “suicide data should not be publicised.” Still some successful suicide attempts are reported every day in the national press.

www.asianews.it...

[edit on 2006-11-22 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
From the link you posted:

Suicide by burning now represents half of all suicide attempts. For instance, researchers at the Mazandaran Medical School have found that that out of 318 burning cases analysed in the past two years 83 per cent of the victims were female.

Women in this society live under strict rules imposed on them by men. Many of these women may not have attempted suicide but they won't speak out against a husband or family member that torched them for some perceived indiscretion for fear of further retribution.
Though some may have immolated themselves this is not how most people would choose to end their lives, but it is a very common way for family members to kill a young woman that has brought shame to her husband or his family.

You will find similar "suicide" rates in India, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.....

But don't believe that these deaths are self inflicted. A woman has very little value in some of these societies and the husband, father, in-law, or brother that kills a woman will never face charges.

Do a Google search for terms like "dowry death" and "bride burning" and you'll see how acceptable this practice is in some countries. :shk:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Whether self-inflicted or vitims of "family shame", this is tragic. It is just one more example of how little value is placed on women in these societies. Can any one of us imagine burning our own daughters?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
lets go liberate these poor souls, a few well placed cruise missiles could save these people before its too late.

Brilliant idea... Kill 'em before they can kill themselves.

Every "Liberation" action has caused huge numbers of civilian casualties, directly and indirectly.

Yes, people have some perty twisted ideas about how to live their lives and what they can inflict on others. Reaching for a gun is prolly about the stupidest thing you can do to help change their minds. Diplomacy should always be the first and formost answer. If diplomacy fails, you keep trying.

I belive that military action should ONLY occure if the nation/culture has become a real and proven threat, OR if the population itself rises up and asks for aid in political or cutural revelotion.

As a side point;
I wonder how you would feel about being "liberated" from your mind-washed, media-controled, and greed driven sociaty?

I feel strongly that much of our western sociaty has become victem to rampent corruption and the most base forms of greed. I feel there's a strong need for change. Many people agree with me. Unforunatly, some of them feel the same way that you do... that violance should be used to solve soical/political problems. Those people are what you call "terrorists". They want to forcably liberate you (and the rest of the world) from the grip of cultural values that they do not share.

They could well be saying "a few well placed IEDs (or suitcase boms, or biological agents) could save these people before its too late.".

If people weren't so stupid as to believe that violance can be anything other than a tool of LAST resort, we wouldn't be having this happy little situation to begin with.

So, let's ash can all this jumping to violance as the first reaction.
Dispell yourself of the belief that violance is a viable way to do good.
DENY that little bit of IGNORANCE!

[/rant]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
BitRaiser that was so philosophical of you.

So what im saying is your pretty much right, but by saying your right im not saying im wrong.

Have a nice day

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Burning is a sick way to commit suicide. The pain of burning would be worse than living. And then if you are not successful?????????? The pain goes on.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Ive always said that the worst way to die would be by burning to Death.

I think that is the message these people are getting out by Burning themselves to Death, they are saying there is no pain worse than what there Life is like, its actually really scary and sad.

Old saying hey "There are fates worse than Death"

Sep

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Is it just me that noticed that there is not a single data in the article, even speculating the number of suicides in Iran? According to this site the number of suicides in Iran is below average. According to World Health Organization Iran's suicide rate is far below almost all European and also far below the United States. Also according to WHO, the suicide rate of men in Iran is three times that of women. So again, where are these people getting their information from? Well seeing as the website is a fundamentalist Christian website, or "missionary" as they mention in the "about us" section of the website, I don't think they are the most reliable when reporting on Muslim Iran. Just my two cents.

top topics

join