It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Draft, For or Against it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
According to this article, Democratic Senator Charles Rangel of New York wants to reinstate the draft. He wants to propose a bill by early 2007. I am going in the military myself, but it is my opinion that an all volunteer army is a more efficient force. Any thoughts or comments on the subject?

Article

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I for one is against it..

Rangel is a idiot and trying to go back to the days where he served in Korean War. The US Government can not AFFORD a draft. If the bill gets insitutuded it, it sounds good on paper.. but to keep folks in.. the payscale can not change, He would never be able to do it today's money situation in the government.. ESPECIALLY if a Democrat president comes into office.

I am on the downhill slide in my military career.. I will be retiring after almost 23 years of service in the Air Force. I do know one thing, we do not have the time or patience to start to coddle and train draftee's. If you start a draft in todays military.. you will break the military.

Its bad enough that today's young volunteers are smart and upstanding. But you start forcing peple to serve.. then your asking for more discipline problems. The result, the military will be kicking people out because they do not want to be there.. giving them what they want at a loss to the governmnet.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am against the draft. i believe that a persons life does not belong to the government. i understand that everyone should be willing to fight for freedom. however, i do not believe that it is the governments right (whether a law says it is or not) i speaking ethically and morally, i dont believe the government has the right to require a citizen to give up his family, his life, to fight in a war. whats the point of fighting for freedom when you dont even have the freedom in choosing to fight, that is the way i look at it. we talk about how evil people in other countries like iran are for being willing to make every citizen at their disposal for martydom in a war, to me the draft is the same thing...minus the religious undertone. now if a draft gave people an option between fighting on the front lines over seas, stationed as a non combatant somewhere, AND simply working a job at home that helped the government produce supplies that are needed to win the war, then i would be for it. but the draft only allows a man or women to leave their family and go somewhere overseas for a long period of time, and get paid jack for it. there should be an option where people can stay here at home and go into certian jobs to help out the effort. until there is a stipulation like that, im against it. it just comes down to freedom of choice for me. and non of these people in the government who decide whether or not their should be a draft, ever have to worry about their children or their husbands or wives having to participate.

Digitalgrl

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think that the US should pull out of Iraq, not dump more of its young people into the fray, particularly the unwilling ones. I'm not American, but I do not want to see my neighbours to the south get shot at and killed in Iraq because the Bush administration screwed up.

There would be conditions when I would support a draft, but this is not one of them. When the war is one that needs to be fought to protect your country or another country, and there aren't enough troops (ex: WWI/WWII) then I think a draft would be justified. It is not justified to send troops to die for Bush Jr. because his government doesn't know when to quit.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm for the draft, but I'm not sure that it's needed at this time.

I might have felt differently at the beginning of the War on Terrorism, but the fact is that overall, the military has met the demands with volunteer troops.

At this stage of the conflict, instituting the draft is probably not wise, but may be so at some future date.

Rangel should back down from his position, which is completely politically based and listen to the Pentagon and let them tell Congress when and if a draft is needed.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If the U.S continues efforts to erradicate terrorist factions within the middle east there is no question but that its military will be spread too thin to not reinstate the draft. I believe it will happen.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am for the draft, but only if females are drafted on an equal basis - remember; equal rights requires equal responsibility.

If the draft is implemented, I would like people to have a choice of joining the military or doing some type of public service. After their term of service is up, all individuals should be given retraining of their choice, including college/trade school tuition.

I am from the Vietnam era and registered for the draft, but joined the Army before I was drafted so I could choose what I did. Military service, even in times of war, is really not that bad.

All the horror stories seem to come from those who have never served, and have no intention of serving.

As for Rangel, his lies and insults as related to the men and women serving in the military are shameful and politically motivated.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I support a draft, but not drafting women.

National service should be a requirement for all American males, even those who are excluded from military service.

[edit on 2006/11/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

National service should be a requirement for all American males, even those who are excluded from military service.

Just curoius, what is the reason you are not in favor of drafting women?

Any women want to comment about drafting females?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Drafting women doubles the infrastructure demands with no military benefit.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Im against the draft.
Unless a country is at our borders attacking us,making people join is uncalled for.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

You'll never take me alive

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I guess i'm for the draft.

I'm not sure why, i'll be drafted and I don't want to be. I'll atleast learn some discipline, and maybe i'll die but that can't happen right now.

I think it's for the better though, at least for the kids that sit around a play video games all day.

Women should not be drafted, never ever!

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The u.s goverment will never take me, i'll flee to mexico.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
against.

people should have the freedom of will to make death related decisions.
for once i'm glad i'm 40 and have already served...

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It may eventually become necessary, as I think we're headed for a big war sooner or later. But I'd rather keep a professional army and raise salaries and benefits to attract more people than impose compulsory service.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think in any serious enough conflict the draft would be okay, but I think some women that are in good physical condition should be made to go too. Not the ones that have kids though. And if you're lets say 400 lbs of fat does the military excuse you?

UDM

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'm against it, but then again I am 18 so most people my age are against it. I think it should be the persons choice on whether or not to join the military. My father joined the air force during Vietnam to escape the draft, and because of that he lost the only chance at college. The only reason I would support the draft is with a WWI and WWII type scenario.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Any country where you are forced into servitude is not a free one and should not present itself as such. Call a duck a duck. We are here to live our lives and not for a corrupt government to profit from.

If/when we are attacked from an outside source people will come together to protect their way of life, but to force it's citizens into a war for the interests of someone else is anything but just and free.

It's funny that everyone talks about Us (good) and Them (bad) as far as other countries or forms of government are concerned. However that line between freedom and oppresion is slowly erroding in the US. When we (as a country) become just like 'them' will we admit it to ourselves or simply continue the delusion because we are too distracted by the propoganda?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I believe that conscription is a violation of the Constitution. I am a supporter of the military, but I believe no one should have to join against their will. That's a violation of the basic right to freedom of choice. By all means, build up the military, but on a volunteer basis.

top topics

join