It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make United States Offical Language "English"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well, thats it... nah, I still think we should all speak English within the United States borders though. Even though others opinions are valid I do believe this should become the norm.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Without an official language, judges can issue rulings that these orgs violated 'civil rights' by not having literature and/or persons and educational programs in their language available.

Which is EXACTLY why there should not be an official language. An official language should be considered unconstitutional exactly because it does create a Jim-Crowesque ability to violate civil rights through the language barrier.

No, that's exactly why your opinion is wrong. If legal immigrants learned english as part of the immigration process there would be no way to violate someone's civil rights with language. They could read all the signs and official documents having to do with voting, etc. in English (American). The only people that your opinion benefits are the illegals, that often choose to live in "ghettos" and no longer even try to assimilate. And poll after poll says that Americans don't want to bend over backwards for the illegals. Does the majority still rule here?

Another way to say this is: multi-ethnicity, yes. Multi-culturalism, NO.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I signed the petition IN SPITE OF THE RACIST OVERTONES OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER, not because of it.

This is not a racial issue. Americans come in all colors.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by groingrinder]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
Would I share my world with diffrent types of Human beings of course, would I fight to save other species of the human race that are non-white.."NO" and nature prooves I shouldnt have to.

While your words are true, they are only true to a point.

a) Bears are separated by genus and species. ALL humans fall under the same genus and species.

b) Nature has given humanity this thing called a brain.. which has capabilities that, so far as we know, no other creature on earth has.

These capabilities allow us to see outside of ourselves, in the past and the future, to all of humanity. It gives us the capability of being compassionate and trusting towards other people, no matter their 'skin/fur' color...

I'd like to think that most humans have the capability of reason and logic... which supercedes any heritage, ethnic, skin, religious, gender, whatever lines. This capability, having been bestowed upon us by nature, is beyond instinctual pack logic.

Or, if you prefer (bestial) pack logic, the pack is bigger than you, me, and any other white, black, yellow, purple person.. our pack is all of humanity.

(P.S. Speaking of colors, have you ever noticed that a 'white' person is really peach, and a 'black' person is really some variant of brown? Thinking of the color spectrum, peach and brown are not that far apart... whereas black and white are completely opposite.)

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I see your point, and do understand your color scheme. Although I do still feel that neither black, brown, white , yellow, red or even green being the little aliens when they get here! Do make us seperate from each other. I honestly dont feel any hatred towards any race but do believe we should have the rights to seperate from one another if by choice. Language is actually the point of this thread, and I feel we should stick to the point at hand, Speak English in the United States no matter what race or nationallity you are and Im sure everyone would start to respect each other a little bit more as "Americans" than tooting thier own horn of being an Arab American, Chineese American, Italian American and so on.

Arent we all Americans??

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
I see your point, and do understand your color scheme. Although I do still feel that neither black, brown, white , yellow, red or even green being the little aliens when they get here! Do make us seperate from each other. I honestly dont feel any hatred towards any race but do believe we should have the rights to seperate from one another if by choice.

I understand separation by choice -- I guess I just don't see the point in it.

We've gotten to a place in human history where we are all aware of each other; we've gone from separate societies to countries to a global community. This, right here, right now, is the most advanced and encultured the human race has ever been!

And I guess that that's why I simply cannot think of myself as *just* an American... I'm a part of the global society. Even if/when I become a true hermit, I am, and always will be, a part of that greater society. Separation doesn't change that one iota.

((Not 6 months ago, I thought of myself as my own individual island, completely separate and on my own. FTW and all that. But, I've realized that the only reason that I was able to think of myself as an individual was because of society. It spawned me, it gave me language, it educated me. Because of society we may have this conversation... For as much as I want to be a hermit, separate myself from the cattle and live on my own, I have to show respect and gratitude for the herd -- because it gave me that option.))

Language is actually the point of this thread, and I feel we should stick to the point at hand, Speak English in the United States no matter what race or nationallity you are and Im sure everyone would start to respect each other a little bit more as "Americans" than tooting thier own horn of being an Arab American, Chineese American, Italian American and so on.

Arent we all Americans??

I don't think that having a common language will instinctually make people respectful. I don't have to speak your language to not shove you into the road... or to open a door for you - I may not understand your words for 'Thank you', but does that negate the meaning? Would you not understand my smile and nod as a way of saying 'You're Welcome'?

Besides that, I respect people even more when they are at least attempting to learn a different language. It's hard to understand, it's frustrating to try and speak with them, but I appreciate their efforts even more -- I respect them more for learning something new and putting it to use.

And besides that, I know a lot of Americans who speak the language quite fluently, and are completely disrespectful to everyone. The definition of respect seems to be just as varied as the definition of justice... culturally variant, an inherent fluidity in the definition.

If everyone were taught and practiced respect, *true and basic civility* towards each other... I don't think it would matter what language was being spoken. Tone and gesture would denote your intent -- actions. Actions rather than words.

I don't see the point in tooting any horn. Yes. People living in this part of the world are Americans. We come from this particular country, and so I suppose must have some 'nationalistic pride'...

However, First and foremost, we're humans. We're part of something far larger than just individual selves, our individual languages, than our individual countries. So, where's the pride of being a human in a society much grander than any individual country?

So where's the racial pride --- Aren't we all humans??

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Silly me, and all these years, I thought english WAS our Official National language here in the USA! What was I thinking!

Tim

<< 2  3  4   >>

join