It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make United States Offical Language "English"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
Vagabond,
What actually is a vagabond lets find out.

... ...

Sorry guy, but one who claims to be a vagabond has no say, find a home, settle in and then speak your mind until then your point is null and void to this American!

Justmytype

All that effort to come up with a not particularly useful or relevant rejoinder simply because you are losing an argument...

HR's English classes continue...

What actually is a vagabond lets find out.

would have been so much more successful, not to mention clear, if, instead, you had written

What, in fact, is a vagabond? Let's find out.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Sorry guy, but one who claims to be a vagabond has no say

Who said I don't have a home? Perhaps I am one without a clear path, or a disreputable character. Maybe I fancy that the vast majority of those definitions apply to me at least loosely. Maybe I just picked it out of a Metallica song when I was in junior high and never stopped using it. Maybe a combination of the above.

Pardon my interruption, please continue to consult your dictionary for potential insults hiding in the medieval roots of every word I use. I'll be over here giggling.

find a home, settle in and then speak your mind until then your point is null and void to this American!

Justmytype

Oh my God, it's George W. Bush!!! At least I think so; he impugned my citizenship and on that basis my relevance as well, just because I disagreed with him.

I see the point though. Afterall, he's an American. Two young lovers just happened to be within the bounds of the United States 9 months after the odds caught up with them and voila, Justmytype is an American. I, on the other hand, use "The Vagabond" as a nickname online, so clearly his flocci­nauci­nihili­pili­fication of my opinion is well founded (run that one through your dictionary, buddy).

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Vagabond,
President George W Bush has his own issues and agendas so please do not refer them to me. I am not hear to have a pissing match with you. I am here to discuss a matter which was intended for an open forum. I am sorry that you do not feel as I do about the English language and its use in the United States.

People have a tendency of forgetting about were they came from and what our country was like when they were growing up. I havent, you see I am your typical white metal head who grew up in the 80's, I lean towards my race as my religion, beliefs etc.etc. I realize our world is changing but do not embrace this change because I see it as a slap in our face.

Political correctness, immigration and so on, has put a spin on this world that has made so many of us loose our true identities because of how the world is now.

Am I racist? NO, I am a white American who feels that the world I grew up in is being stripped from me in my own country. My language, my laws etc.

When I was a kid I was taught you learn the language of another country to show respect when you are visiting that country. You speak thier language on thier land not to insult them by speaking your language.

How come that respect is not given back to us as Americans. I could not ever forsee going to Russia and having them make American English a part of thier society meaning multiple languages on all thier government forms etc. etc. It would be ludacris to go to France and ask them to learn American English, I have been thier, if you can't speak french they dont want you there.

Point being, if you want to speak, French, German, Spanish, Dutch etc. etc. thats fine, do it in your own home, dont disrespect the masses with forcing your language on to them because you dont want to take the time to learn the language and show some respect for the country you are in.

Justmytype!

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   

People have a tendency of forgetting about were they came from and what our country was like when they were growing up. I havent, you see I am your typical white metal head who grew up in the 80's, I lean towards my race as my religion, beliefs etc.etc. I realize our world is changing but do not embrace this change because I see it as a slap in our face.

Political correctness, immigration and so on, has put a spin on this world that has made so many of us loose our true identities because of how the world is now.

Am I racist? NO, I am a white American who feels that the world I grew up in is being stripped from me in my own country. My language, my laws etc.

alright, why do you lean towards your race?
aren't non-white people as much of a human as you are?

why must you have this alliance to your race?
it's not even that big of a difference
our country was built on genocide and slavery
both of which were at one point the laws and the world people grew up in

just because it was how you were brought up doesn't mean it is the proper way things must be

and WHOSE true identities are we losing?
america isn't a country with a homogenous true identity

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I say we stick with english as our de facto official language. It is superior in many ways. Not the prettiest of languages, latinbased, and maybe chinese win that contest in my opinion, but it is much more articulate than spanish. We can describe things much more precisly with english. Plus english incorporates alot of what works with other languages and gets rid of what doesn't. Granted english is one of the more difficult languages to master but it is the international language of business and science. It makes more sense to stick with it than to de-evolve it into some other language.

And I get pissed when I run into someone in LA who doesn't speak a lick of english. Usually they have had plenty of time to learn it and just don't even try. That is disrespecting the hand that feeds, mainly this country. You cant honestly say that when you came to the US you didn't know that english was the language we speak here, and then not make any effort to learn it. Why are you racist and bitter against the english speakers?

During the summer I get dark skin because I tan very easily. People come up to me and start speaking in spanish. it's offensive and I ignore them like they aren't even there. It's not like I'm trying to be an ahole but I've got to draw the line somewhere and if you are so rude and unpatriotic to not even try to learn the language of the country you live in,moved to because it was your salvation, and you're not a tourist on vacation than get out of my face or go back to where that behavior is acceptable.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
"alright, why do you lean towards your race?
aren't non-white people as much of a human as you are? "

Yes, non-whites fall into the category of human beings.

"Why do I lean towards my race."

Simple actually, we are all human beings but are different in our own unique way.

Think of how many different types of Bears thier are for Example.... Polar Bears, Black Bears, Brown Bears, Grizzly Bears,etc... now they are all considered "Bears" but they all show unique characteristics, a Brown bear is mostly a vegatarian,not so aggressive, where as a Grizzly is a meat eater and very aggressive. Polar bears are most likely to avoid other bears as they are mostly anti social and live in the most extreme cold of climates. while the brown bear makes his presence noticed.

The easiset way to explain why I lean towards my white race is because in this Human gene pool of White, Brown, Red and Yellow peoples we are nothing more than any other species that has multiple types of the same forms "such as the bears "Black, Brown Grizzly, Polar etc".

All of these bears share the world they live in, but do not co inhabitat with each other.
It seems that human beings are probably one of the only species that claims to be equal across all of its types of humans.

Is this correct for us to change nature? Or should we be like the many other species and protect our own, meaning a Grizzly bear is not going to fight to save a black bear instead it fights to save other grizzly's meaning a white human being by nature is going to fight to save another white human being as a brown human being would do the same to save another brown human being and so on.

This world we live in has many same species, Fish, Reptiles, Mammals etc but across the boards all sub species of the same make always tend to fend for thier own kind of that particuallary species.

Ask your self this, could a domesticated cat live in the same cage as a mountain lion, of course not, so why should I be so politically correct when nature has made us this way.

Would I share my world with diffrent types of Human beings of course, would I fight to save other species of the human race that are non-white.."NO" and nature prooves I shouldnt have to.

I hope that answered your question in a intellectual way rather than a racist answer!

Justmytype!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The easiset way to explain why I lean towards my white race is because in this Human gene pool of White, Brown, Red and Yellow peoples we are nothing more than any other species that has multiple types of the same forms "such as the bears "Black, Brown Grizzly, Polar etc".

Technically, all humans are homo sapiens. Grizzly bears are Ursus arctos horribilis and polar bears are Ursus maritimus. Labelling some one because of their skin colour is simply racist. You sir, sound like a xenophobe, some one who is afraid of different/foreign culture.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You sir, sound like a xenophobe, some one who is afraid of different/foreign culture.

Wow, I have a classification "Xenophobe". Why is it when someone shows unity for thier own kind on this board people seem to come out of the woodwork and claim you are afraid, or are not willing, to accept change.

Let me tell you sir, I am not afraid of different cultures but choose "as is my choice" to perfer to be with my own kind. I live in the armpit of the United States, the NJ,NY metro area, I grew up with my own kind while living amongst, Blacks, Spanish, Chineese, Indian's, Russian's etc. etc. You name it, we have it!!

So when thinking you know something about someone you do not even know, try keeping it to yourself because it shows your own true ignorance.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustmytypeWow, I have a classification "Xenophobe". Why is it when someone shows unity for thier own kind on this board people seem to come out of the woodwork and claim you are afraid, or are not willing, to accept change.

Let me tell you sir, I am not afraid of different cultures but choose "as is my choice" to perfer to be with my own kind. I live in the armpit of the United States, the NJ,NY metro area, I grew up with my own kind while living amongst, Blacks, Spanish, Chineese, Indian's, Russian's etc. etc. You name it, we have it!!

So when thinking you know something about someone you do not even know, try keeping it to yourself because it shows your own true ignorance.

No, you clearly have a case of xenophobia. Your statement above about growing up with your own kind while living with other groups just shows that. Also, your statements about wanting to keep America as an English, white person country also shows your fear.

I grew up in Toronto, which claims to be the most multicultural city in the world. I grew up around blacks, Spanish, Chinese, Indians, Russians, ect, ect, you name it. I've managed to keep my identity while still being friends with people from all these groups. I love the variety in what I can find in different cultures where I live. I thought that the United States was about freedom for all people.

The US is one of the most ethnically heterogeneous countries in the world yet it is one of the most homogeneous in terms of language. I personally think that over time, most of these immigrant groups will be speaking English and over generations they will only be speaking English.

You don't even live in the Southwestern US, where most of the Spanish speaking population lives. Are you afraid that California is going to forget its English heritage and start speaking Spanish? Wait, California was settled by the Spanish.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Im sorry but you dont need to live in California to be overwhelmed by spanish speaking immigrants. Try going to a shopping mall in NJ, the immigrants shopping there dont even have enough respect to speak English or even try.

Maybe you and everyone else who has chimed in is right about me. I am a racist, even though I dont title myself as one. I live amongst all types of people and cant stand the diversity. I dont want my child speaking spanish in her own country as well as I dont want her to grow up an marry someone of not her race. I dont want other races influences making decisions for the world I live in.

Im sorry, I am white and proud. I am not politically correct and thats not my problem. But it is yours because there are many more like me out here then you know of, I have a voice as many others do, I just choose to use it. I am not scared of change, I just dont accept it. I, like so many others who have been silent for so long need to stand up and stop feeling the guilt our country puts on the white race. We "present day whites" did not enslave the blacks and we did not invite the Mexicans. We are the minority, want a loan or government grant well Im sorry your white, want a decent paying construction job, Im sorry Mexicans work cheaper, it goes on and on but until more people stand up and speak out loud about the cleansing of the white race, well then I guess we get what we deserve because we were all to ignorant to think that it could actually happen to our race.

Im sorry if I have offended but get real, Minorities now rule the USA and the white race has become a guilt ridden scared society afraid to speak out because of political correctness.

Speak English or get out.

Im done!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Vagabond,
President George W Bush has his own issues and agendas so please do not refer them to me.

I did not suggest that you had his agenda. I suggested that you had resorted to the same pathetic tactics that he does to promote your agenda.

I am not hear to have a pissing match with you. I am here to discuss a matter which was intended for an open forum.

I have not seen one drop of urine anywhere in this thread. I have engaged you in the discussion which you sought. I appologize if in the course of making my points I have hurt your feelings, but I assumed that you were a big boy and could handle more than an impassionate essay-style response since you chose to trade barbs with me, however inept you may have been at it. The bottom line is that you're afraid of people who aren't like yourself and you're afraid of people who disagree with you. If someone isn't like you, you want them either changed or removed from the country. If someone disagrees with you, you feel the need to deny their citizenship, make vain attempts to insult them, and then say you want to disengage.

People have a tendency of forgetting about were they came from and what our country was like when they were growing up.

Indeed they do; that's exactly what I've been saying is wrong with your position. Your memory in regards to immigration and culture clash seems to be extremely selective.

I am your typical white metal head who grew up in the 80's, I lean towards my race as my religion, beliefs etc.etc. I realize our world is changing but do not embrace this change because I see it as a slap in our face.

Again, that's exactly your problem. You feel like something different from you is necessarily an attack on you and such fears are completely misguided.

Consider the extreme differences between men and women; our words mean different things, we use different words all together for some subjects, we see things differently, we don't look the same, etc. Women aren't a halfway bad analogy for immigrants in some respects. You don't believe that women are slapping you in the face by being different do you? (Note that if you say yes, any women in this thread may very well slap you in the face, but that's another issue)

The obvious rejoinder from your position is that women share our American heritage so the gulf is smaller. Yet immigrants share our fundamental human heritage, so the analogy holds. At the end of the day, we aren't that different and nobody's presence should be an affront to anyone else. I've got to side with the Gipper when he said that if there were some outside threat to this world, the petty differences that divide us would cease to matter in an instant.

Those are the beginnings of racism. You are afraid of other people and other ways and fear leads to hatred. I've never bothered to hate anything that couldn't hurt me in some way or another.

It would be ludacris to go to France and ask them to learn American English, I have been thier, if you can't speak french they dont want you there.

I've been a good boy so far, but now I've got to say something. Your English is attrocious. Get out of my country.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Vagabond,
I respect your point, and understand what you are saying.

Let me clarify one thing for you though, my english is just fine, my grammer and spelling is what actually sucks.

"NO" I will never leave the land I was born in and if thats an issue for you. I can give you my address and you can come and make me try to leave!

On a lighter note, So what, its all words, nothing changes, nothing happens and we tend to just sit here and watch the world evolve around us.

But you got to love that feeling of being alive in a heated discussion or argument.

Justmytype!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have been around people of all colors and creeds, and most of them do tend to lean toward their particular group, and most of them do tend to prefer their children marry within their particular group. But I find the Spanish speakers, especially from Latin America, feel they do not need to learn english because for some reason they are a superior culture. What a bunch of Racists, almost as bad as the French Canadians.

< sarcasm on> Now that the White Race is so sorry to have offended everyone else on the planet, would all you other people just stop immigrating to white race homelands so you are no longer offended? < sarcasm off>

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
I have been around people of all colors and creeds, and most of them do tend to lean toward their particular group, and most of them do tend to prefer their children marry within their particular group. But I find the Spanish speakers, especially from Latin America, feel they do not need to learn english because for some reason they are a superior culture. What a bunch of Racists, almost as bad as the French Canadians.

< sarcasm on> Now that the White Race is so sorry to have offended everyone else on the planet, would all you other people just stop immigrating to white race homelands so you are no longer offended? < sarcasm off>

Ok, first off, how are French Canadians racist? Secondly, you guys do realize that Mexicans, for the most part, are of European decent, which means they are of the same "race" as white Americans.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Im sorry, plese excuse my ignorance, but I thought Mexican's have been around as long as the American Indian nations. What boat did they ride over on??

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Vagabond,
I respect your point, and understand what you are saying.

I don't hear that much in these conversations, thanks.

I can give you my address and you can come and make me try to leave!

I was ironically applying my interpretation of your point to you; I have no interest in seeing you leave the country, much less would I like for this conversation to be reduced to physical threats. To repay the compliment you started out with though, you're a pretty self-confident guy and I like that. Rest assured that I ain't telling a soul on here where exactly I live; for all I know, one of the mods might be the next unibomber (in fact I've got a list of suspects- there are a few of the staff who fit that "he was such a nice guy" profile)

But you got to love that feeling of being alive in a heated discussion or argument.

I definately do. You might want to keep an eye open for the next debate tournament in that case. But be warned, here there be monsters... namely me.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

This idea was discussed a whole bunch already on this thread. There is a whole lotta' information there for anyone interested.

English is the official language in many states already. No one has lost their heritage over it. It just makes sense to have an official legal language for documents, etc. Also, anyone immigrating here LEGALLY must have a basic knowledge of English in order to become an American citizen.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Im sorry, plese excuse my ignorance, but I thought Mexican's have been around as long as the American Indian nations. What boat did they ride over on??

The majority of the Mexican population (about 70%) is put under the Mestizo ethnic group, which is mixed indiginous American and European decent. So they aren't quite "white" but they do have ancestry to Europe.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Vagabond,
I hear you on the address topic. I have been visiting this board now for several years and "Yes" I believe as you do, that the next "unibomber" "terrorist" "serial killer" "Rapist" "Murder" "Wife Beater" and other life forms are probably roaming amongst us. I in know way am a threat to anyone, I just like to "try" to prove my point even though sometimes it causes others to react in a defensive mode rather than the offensive.

I have found that most people I have delt with here on ATS are brilliant, sometimes way to informed and I personally find that creepy.

By the way "Vagabond" Im a Metalicca fan as well!

On that note, thanks for the stimulating conversation and education lesson, its all good.

Take care,

Justmytype

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

By the way "Vagabond" Im a Metalicca fan as well!

Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will...
I've been the Vagabond in one place or another since 1995.

Edit to add, yes about 10-20% of the members around here know just way too much about at least one subject and it is intimidating.

[edit on 30-11-2006 by The Vagabond]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join