learn more

Make United States Offical Language "English"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
This isnt racially motivated but a preservation of our history and heritage. White "English" speaking Europeans founded this nation and our language is part of our culture. Over the past decade we are slowly loosing our heritage do to all the immigrants who have flooded our country.

I'm not proud of this country's heritage.. a marked history of stealing land, lying, breaking promises, killing off thousands upon thousands of people, enslaving others, nevermind this whole crap notion of profit above human life... You want to save this??

But, I was born here, and I'm grateful for all that it's given me.. most of which are dang good lessons how to be a good person, thanks to its bad examples.

Besides that, I was raised with the idea of America being a melting pot, then a salad bowl.. Point being: we are the only country that allows people to come here and join in the competition of capitalism. Culture doesn't matter, heritage doesn't matter, just the title on your desk and the money in your bank account.

It's obvious that most of the people here speak english. So, if business is to be conducted in any rational manner, people are going to have to learn it regardless of whether or not it's the national language.

Parades & Flags.
No more African Americans, No more Italian Americans, No more Muslim Americans no more!!!! By having parades in our country you are showing support from which country you originated from. This shows a direct lack of respect to all American citizens go fly your flag and support your heritage in your own land, your heritage has no say here, honor and respect ours,and fly the american flag and speak english or take your flags and cultures and go back where you came from.

You know, this is how a certain world war got started, if history taught me right..... patriotic nationalist push which became a cleansing. Be careful.

Move forward protect our heritage and culture and pass and sign this petition. Its the only way we can fight to preserve our heritage and History of being Americans and remember all those who came here through Ellis Island embraced American Culture and learned our language and spoke it in public.

Now, I hafta ask: What is American culture?
Looking around today, it's buying stuff you don't need with money you don't really have.
We talk about working together so we can stab each other's backs in the name of corporate competition.
Making thousands and thousands of people work long and hard (all around the world!) so a few elite may sit on their duffs and reap millions?
The 'American Dream' is gone, if it ever truly existed.
Passions are exchanged for paychecks that can't even pay the rent, nor put healthy food in our bellies.

If this is American culture, why the heck would you be lobbying to save it?

And if you don't think it is -- then explain what you think it is. I'm going by what I see people doing every day. *That* is what defines a culture. Actions - not words.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Expalin American Culture ????

Where do I start.

The American culture has morphed into a melting pot of immigrants, belief systems and languages over the past few decades. What once "Was" which I still stand firm to believe, is that the United States is a country which "yes" accepted all sorts of immigrants from different places from around the world with the idea of creating a place where all men, women and children can live freely in a democracy rather than under the rule of a communist country. I believe we all have this very common interest instilled in us but most of us have become so consumed in our own lives, that thoughts like these very rarely arise because of the clutter of every day life. "I have to get rich, I need a better Job, I need to find work, I want a mansion, I cant pay my bills, I want to be a star etc. etc." With all these thoughts racing through each of our brains we rarely look at what our forefathers were attempting to create for us, at all.
Our culture shows the diversity of all who live among us but are truely not any of us at all. Immigrants today DO NOT have the same mind set as those who originally voyaged to our great nation. They were people who were very proud to be Americans, they learned our language and embraced the idea of freedom and democracy. They did not have to wave there countries flag in honor but to stand tall with an American flag in thier hand showing the unity for being an American. Today's Immigrants have one common ineterest, to make money...thats it! They don't want to be American's, they want to wave thier flag as if they were saying "look" to thier homelands, we took another piece of the grand United States. How does that make you feel?? It angers me, because I am a mut as well-(born in the USA) but was taught by my grandparents who wre immigrants from France and Denmark who taught me to love and honor this country for what it was built on, which was a new beginning that which now has been forgotten by most.

Start looking back into History, I feel our school systems have failed us all.
History should be taught on the ideology of what this country stands for rather than knowing who your presidents are, teach what America is, and what it meant for most and Im sure if you take the time and really learn it, you will realize why it is so important to save our culture.

Be an American for once in your life and stand up and be proud. Leave your Immigrant Heritage in the country it belongs in and wave an American flag. Speak English so we all know you are true and this country can move forward in its journey of being what it was meant to be, a place for all American's.

Justmytype

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

May I ask your race?

I'm not sure it's relevant but since you may have a point to make, I'm mostly Irish-American and a bit Choctaw by way of Chicago and Texas. Pardon my detail, but I've always felt a little uninteresting because of the way that government forms say "mark this bubble for white, this bubble for black, or if you're brown, gives us a six digit grid on the location of your great great grandfather's house" (yeah, i'm exagerating, but as far as the census is concerned there are like 10 flavors of asian and one big amorphous blob of white people).

Reason being is that you are correct we will be speaking Spanish in the United States if we do not take a stand now. This isnt racially motivated but a preservation of our history and heritage.

I don't see how that's a reason for asking my race then, and as for heritage, I really don't know if horchata and menudo constitute a threat to apple pie. Even if they did, I always sort of thought of American heritage in terms of rugged individualism, the great big rush that Tocqueville observed, and a generally disagreeable nature in relation to rule of any kind. I'm pretty sure a cowboy is a cowboy regardless of his accent or the contents of his lunch box.

White "English" speaking Europeans founded this nation and our language is part of our culture.

They didn't always speak English, nor were they uniformly white. Many of them learned it after they got here. New York started out Dutch. LA and SF started out Spanish. The manpower of American industy came over speaking Irish and German. How much English do you believe was spoken in the camps as the railroads were built which united the regional economies in America? I'm guessing it was Cantonese for the most part.

Do other countries accomidate thier heritage for those who decided to move to thier countries, absolutly not.

There is a difference between accomodating and not oppressing. The governmet does not require anyone to hire non-english speakers for customer service. The "accomodations" that are made are made in large part out of self interest. We provide tax forms in other languages because we want the dang tax money. Business print forms in other languages because it makes them money.

I feel if you have fled to the United states to become an American, then be one, speak the language, leave your prior countries flag where you came from and embrace our culture as it was.

I'm an American, and I do it just fine without disowning my heritage. My people brought St. Patty's over here, thank god, and don't get in my way when I'm headed for the bar to celebrate it, because you'd be surprised how much that little Irish flag can hurt when swung fast enough.

Too many immigrants are under the inconception that they are here to claim a piece of our land

1. Don't worry about it because it's not going to work for them.
2. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no mood to give it to them, but I don't blame them for wanting to try. It is, afterall, EXACTLY what we did to them. American fillibusters (in the military sense, not the political) successfully added several stars to our flags at the expense of Mexico and Hawaii, and they tried for even more in Mexico and also Canada. Now we've got it, we've done something with it, and we're not giving it back (afterall if we started correcting the sins of everyone's grandfather now there would be about a thousand countries on the map, none of them independently viable in the modern world) but let's not get hollier than thou about it.

I am sorry but if our country is going to allow all these diffrent ethnicities to embrace thier own culture here on our land, then why bother being a country lets just let the races speak for themselves and fight for ownership of this land.

Your point of view here is culturally/ethnically nationalist. I disagree with it because I do not view a nation state (read the government which citizens form over themselves) as having a legitimate purpose beyond providing for the common good of those people who support it. In other words, I see our laws and government as a separate matter from out society. I do not believe that a change in society necessarily jeopardizes government.

Let's take it down to a situation anyone can probably identify with. You're in a pub, hanging out, having a good time with the "regulars" and a crowd of new people show up and they just sorta rub you the wrong way. They talk about things that don't interest you, they play stuff on the jukebox that you don't like, they order the wrong kind of beer, they crowd around and watch a game of pool they aren't party to, whatever. You're having a culture clash with the new arrivals.

So what are your options? 1. Leave: not necessary and impractical on a larger scale. 2. Fight: not worth the consequences. 3. Ignore them: Bingo.

Just do what you do. Don't change a dang thing about your life. They try to talk to you about something you don't care about, you just nod politely, turn back to your friend, and talk about what interests you. They order the bar a round of something you don't like, you order the bar a round of what you do.

You know what's going to happen when you respond that way? One of several things. 1. They start trying to fit in. 2. They leave. 3. You get used to some of it, maybe even find yourself able to change without minding.
You don't have to make a bunch of rules and enforce them rigidly, you just keep your cool and let society evolve and you'll fall into your niche no problem.

No more African Americans, No more Italian Americans, No more Muslim Americans no more!!!!

Only way to get rid of this Irish American is to deport him. I'm not going to change the way I do things just because I sometimes clash with Mexican-Americans (which I do). I'm gonna let them do their thing so I can do my thing and it's gonna work out.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

copy and paste the link in this email to every White American person you know

Don't black Americans speak english too?

It's not a bad proposal as feel good BS proposals go, but I think it's more 109th Congress, not 110th Congress. The 110th Congress does real work.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Am I gonna get banned if I make the point that I only understand about every other word of certain regional dialects from heavily black areas? For what it's worth though, I think I understand black people from "Nawlins" a little better than Cajuns.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Expalin American Culture ????

Where do I start.

The American culture has morphed into a melting pot of immigrants, belief systems and languages over the past few decades. What once "Was" which I still stand firm to believe, is that the United States is a country which "yes" accepted all sorts of immigrants from different places from around the world with the idea of creating a place where all men, women and children can live freely in a democracy rather than under the rule of a communist country.

Okay, I'll accept that. Now. How does having immagrants join in a democracy ruin democracy itself?
This is, of course, assuming that democracy is run properly (complete implementation), and the correct procedures are followed for any immagrant to become a citizen. Or, if not, then they abide by the rules and pay their taxes (as both my mother and mother-in-law do).
I see no logical reason that democracy is negatively affected by immagration.

I believe we all have this very common interest instilled in us but most of us have become so consumed in our own lives, that thoughts like these very rarely arise because of the clutter of every day life. "I have to get rich, I need a better Job, I need to find work, I want a mansion, I cant pay my bills, I want to be a star etc. etc." With all these thoughts racing through each of our brains we rarely look at what our forefathers were attempting to create for us, at all.

Arguably, what people are consumed with on a daily basis becomes their culture. Culture is a transitory idea - it changes as the people change. Our culture *was* democracy, actually living it out and working to always make it better... lately, our culture *has become* consuming more and more. Our culture is an 'immediate gratification' culture.

Our culture shows the diversity of all who live among us but are truely not any of us at all. Immigrants today DO NOT have the same mind set as those who originally voyaged to our great nation. They were people who were very proud to be Americans, they learned our language and embraced the idea of freedom and democracy. They did not have to wave there countries flag in honor but to stand tall with an American flag in thier hand showing the unity for being an American. Today's Immigrants have one common ineterest, to make money...thats it!

And Americans are any different????

That's all I hear people worrying and talking about -- how to get their hands on more money, or how little money they make.. Money money money money. So how are we any different than the immagrants??

They don't want to be American's, they want to wave thier flag as if they were saying "look" to thier homelands, we took another piece of the grand United States. How does that make you feel?? It angers me, because I am a mut as well-(born in the USA) but was taught by my grandparents who wre immigrants from France and Denmark who taught me to love and honor this country for what it was built on, which was a new beginning that which now has been forgotten by most.

I'm fine with it, because that is precisely what we did to them!
Our European ancestors walked into various countries, planted a flag, 'marked their territory', and called it theirs. But - that's okay, right!? But it's (suddenly) not okay when others do it to us?

How the heck did we get this country in the first place???? By murdering thousands of other cultures, by labelling them savages because they did not fit into our narrow idea of what it meant to be civilized..

Seriously, talk about a history lesson..

We preach values like 'freedom' 'democracy' 'rights and responsibilities', "life, liberty and the persuit of happiness".. yet, we barely practice them, *especially* when it comes to others.

If we the people truly valued life, liberty and the persuit of happiness *for every single person*...... why are we having this discussion???

Start looking back into History, I feel our school systems have failed us all.

In more ways than one, apparently.

History should be taught on the ideology of what this country stands for rather than knowing who your presidents are, teach what America is, and what it meant for most and Im sure if you take the time and really learn it, you will realize why it is so important to save our culture.

Ideals are fine and great. (yay ideas!)
However. I firmly believe that it's the actions that matter more than the good intentions. If the actions are bad, than the good intentions are meaningless.

Be an American for once in your life and stand up and be proud. Leave your Immigrant Heritage in the country it belongs in and wave an American flag. Speak English so we all know you are true and this country can move forward in its journey of being what it was meant to be, a place for all American's.

Leave my German heritage behind? the good beer and the windmills and the autobahn? Nein! Ich will nicht! (My 'Immagrant Heritage' helps define who I am. It helps give my character a social context. I can not leave it behind without leaving a part of myself behind.)

I embrace America, the (physical) land.
I embrace the ideas that America holds on high.
But I will not embrace America, the country, until it starts actually living the ideals it so proudly hails..

And I will be proud of the human race (which I am a part of long before any idea of heritage and culture takes hold) when the race begins living the ideals it proudly values.

Ever heard these sayings?
Talk is cheap.
Actions speak louder than words.

.....yeah..........

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
English is one of the most difficult languages to master. It doesn't really make any sense, and if you want to be fair, it's really just an amalgam of other languages without any of that pesky 'structure' stuff.

I love the English language, especially for writing, but it's not very practical - all things considered.

Why make it the official language? To preserve it?

Language evolves and changes over time. Making English the official language won't change that simple fact. A language's evolution is governed by popular usage and, clearly, the majority are more comfortable with this horrible, base, pop-culture patois than standard English.

So which English are you going to enshrine? Are you going to ensure that it doesn't change? How?

All these fears of immigrants are unjustified. Even if every Mexican south of the border moved north, and left Mexico completely deserted, white folks would still be the majority.

The answer is to have lots of children. Simple and enjoyable. Why make a big deal out of this?

Are we really so reluctant to breed?

Actually, we are. The reason for that is because, as a culture, we're more selfish than probably any other in history. Children are an inconvenience, a nuisance that robs us of valuable time in front of the television. That's our culture, or lack thereof...

And that's why we're doomed.

The minority who differ will easily incorporate into whatever new paradigm rises from the ashes of this consumer Hell. No sweat.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

copy and paste the link in this email to every White American person you know

You beat me to it, RANT. Let me award you my one remaining WATS for this month....ahhh! You're a super-mod! So sorry.

Anyway, Justmytype, what's with this "every White American person" crap? That cuts my list down by half, at least. Not to mention it smacks of racism.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The main reason to make English the official language is to get rid of all the lawsuits and problems with the gov't and private firms dealing with non-English speakers. Without an official language, judges can issue rulings that these orgs violated 'civil rights' by not having literature and/or persons and educational programs in their language available.

(a few edits to clarify)

[edit on 11/23/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
English as an official language? It won't do a whole lot of good. Encouraging people to learn English is all we can do. It won't protect a culture from changing, or if it doesn't change, dying. That's the way it works, whether we like it or not.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I say we go back to compulsory Latin and Ancient Greek for every entry level university student.

The airports in Canuckistan are the only ones in the world in which air traffic controllers are compelled to give directions in both French and English, English is the language for airports around the world. Billingualism in Canuckistan means French and English to work in the government anywhere in the nation but Quebec, there it's only French.

A person could speak 3 languages, if French isn't one of them - they're not considered bilingual.

Don't get me wrong, as soon as Quebec seperates, I'm going home.

VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!!!

Screw the North American Union with the capitalist pig-dogs. They drink urine and think it fine wine.

[edit on 23-11-2006 by clearwater]

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If you were really patriotic USians you wouldn't want English to be the national language at all. The way it is going now is perfectly fine by me because I love this country and what it stands. Integration and acceptance of foriegn cultures and language are exactly the strength of this great country.

America was not built by the English. She was built by the Spanish and the Polish. The Germans and the Chinese and the Italians.

Why would I want to use only the disgusting dog-tongue language of only one group. Our culture is about varity and our language should reflect that. We shouldn't try to speak any language but American. We shouldn't measure ourselves or look for our history in the ancient history of some backwoods European country.

America is an Empire built from the conquest of ideas. One of those ideas is that it is possible to create a new, different, and better culture simply by accepting all cultures. I think the language we speak should reflect that ideal.

I say make American the official language.

Jon

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Without an official language, judges can issue rulings that these orgs violated 'civil rights' by not having literature and/or persons and educational programs in their language available.

Which is EXACTLY why there should not be an official language. An official language should be considered unconstitutional exactly because it does create a Jim-Crowesque ability to violate civil rights through the language barrier.

When you set in place a system of laws which makes it impossible for a person to comply with the laws governing one's place in society, that's a civil rights violation, plain and simple.

An official language makes it impossible to be a part of society if you don't speak the language, and simultaneously closes public education to you so that you can't gain access to the english only society.

The obvious, sane, and constitutional alternative is simply to make english competency a highschool exit criteria, and on top of that subsidize 2 years of english classes for legal immigrants who apply, and rely on the social advantages to motivate these people to take advantage of it.

Also, as has been said previously, American English is an amalgam of foreign influences. It's a remarkably versatile language. For almost any idea we have 2-5 available words with different roots, connotations, and phonic qualities which make it a very detailed, nuanced language. I speak a little Spanish and it seems very hard and general.

In english you can bug, bother, annoy, disturb, perturb, irk, ire, grate on, chaffe, or piss somebody off, among a few dozen other things.
"I'm sorry to bother you but..."
"No, quit bugging me!"

But in Spanish: Molestar. It's like dang, I didn't like it but I wouldn't say you were molesting me exactly.

I love that versatility of English that can be very soft or very hard as circumstances demand, and we've got it because many different languages and cultural norms of speaking have come over, and I don't think a little more of that could possibly hurt. I think the improvements to the quality of our language improve the specificity of our thought and improve our art among other things, so I'd like to see a little more influence, particularly Asian influence on our language.

At the end of the day, we're basically talking about fear. The worst case scenarios are very ominous. The likely scenarios, however, generally suggest cultural evolution and growth, not replacement.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Wait until we play the white European race vs immigrants..Im sure you know that History repeats itslef and once again the white race will stand as the dominant in the United States.

All it takes is for people to get involved.. things will change!

Justmytype

white european race?
um...
first of all
race isn't really anything more than pigment and more genes determine HEIGHT than skin color

secondly
i'm a white(ish, i've got some nice extra flavor to me) european immigrant
i think the USA is better because of it's non-white influences, the problem lies within the established white power structure that keeps good education and other resources out of the hands of minorites

third
language is subjective

even english hasn't remained a consistent language over the years (for those of you that disagree, try reading beowulf in it's original form)

english is actually quite the horrible language
it has more irregulars than regulars

what's so bad about learning spanish?

and why is there so much stuff pertaining to white supremicist rhetoric in your posts Justmytype?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Save the English language IN the USA!!!!! Must Read
Hey all,
I normally dont ask anyone for anything but I feel this is an important subject...

We are loosing the English language here in the United States in every way possible, from literature, to advertising to goverment forms and so on and so on. Lets make a stand together and force congress to pass English as the United States language.. meaning no spanish, no arabic no other language but English.

Yes, please make English your official language. Once you've done that, you can ask Oxford nicely for a dictionary and learn to spell it, too.

Perhaps you could also teach your president to speak it as well.

After all, it will make it so much easier for you to communicate with your northern neighbours if you are both speaking the same language.

Perhaps a little organisation, possibly even invite a few people of colour into the bandwagon and, who knows, perhaps you won't need so many gaols.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

Do other countries accomidate thier heritage for those who decided to move to thier countries, absolutly not.

There is a difference between accomodating and not oppressing.

Why even split hairs? the answer to this one is: yes, they do. Try travelling outside the US before you talk about other governments.

Too many immigrants are under the inconception that they are here to claim a piece of our land

1. Don't worry about it because it's not going to work for them.
2. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no mood to give it to them, but I don't blame them for wanting to try. It is, afterall, EXACTLY what we did to them. American fillibusters (in the military sense, not the political) successfully added several stars to our flags at the expense of Mexico and Hawaii,

Precisely. But, before we even get into who's forgetting their history...once again, Justmytype, you're demanding people learn a language you can't even speak properly.

"inconception"

What is that? Some kind of reverse conception, where an egg "unfertilises" in the womb?

"accomidate thier"? Oh boy...

And you're demanding others go learn the language...

[edit on 24-11-2006 by HowlrunnerIV]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
An official language makes sense for a number of reasons. The problem is, people misinterpret an official language to mean the only language permitted. Then it gets misconstrued as an attempt to oppress cultures.

I don't care if you speak your native tongue in your own home, church, festival, or wherever. The variety of cultures in our society is one of it's strengths. But when it comes to education, or official business, there needs to be one common language.

I'm not a religious person, but I do believe that the Tower of Babel story teaches us an important lesson.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Wait until we play the white European race vs immigrants..Im sure you know that History repeats itslef and once again the white race will stand as the dominant in the United States.

I can't believe I missed this post earlier. I mean, wow, that's like no contest one of the most disgusting things I've read all day.

Not only is preaching white dominance extremely classy, it's also a very safe bet. Afterall, it's not as if a bunch of brown people, namely the Chinese, had America by the short and curlies or anything, right? The other day my little cousin had this little American flag she'd gotten from somewhere, so I asked her to show me the tag. Just as I suspected, "Made in China". When America's glory days wane, and they inevitably will sooner or later, I'm gonna have to look back on statements like that one and say, "well, it's not as if we didn't have it coming in some ways".

And you know what the really ironic thing about it is? From a certain point of view, it's probably white people who should be most offended by that. As a union man who has done 84 hour weeks in a mine and as a college student who has put his financial gain on hold to spend most of his time trying to better his future, I resent the hell out of the idea that anything that I have accomplished or will accomplish had anything to do with my race or reflects on you in any way.

If being white is all you have, you haven't got much, because you can't have my victories just because I'm white too. You didn't graduate MCRD with platoon 1040, I did. Just because your white like me doesn't mean you could have done it. You didn't work enough over time and double time to make six figures as a miner- I did. You may be white, but that doesn't mean you've got the grit for it. You're not carrying a 4.0 at my school- I am. Being white doesn't make you as smart as me. ETC ETC ETC.

Edit to add for HowlRunner:
We're not gonna learn to spell it, just forget about that. America has declared war on the letter "u" and we're going to fight to the bitter end. COLOR us stubborn.
I'm reminded of a scene from "Snatch", when the American mobster gets to England. "I thought this country spawned the friggin language and so far, nobody seems to speak it!" Viva Amer-lish

[edit on 24-11-2006 by The Vagabond]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I love how adopting English as the official language of the United States, or not adopting it, has, for some, become the opening salvo in the war against the rapacious hordes out to destroy our white European heritage. Just one question: How many of those white Europeans actually spoke English as their first language? I'm guessing not all that many, certainly not all of them. English as our "official" language, or not, will make not a whit of differance as to whether or not our culture survives or dies. Cultures adapt to change, or they die. Ours is no different.

White european? Sorry, but America is so much more than that. It's Polynesians, Africans, Asians, and mixtures of all of these, right along with white europeans. America is most of my friends speaking languages other than English in their homes (spanish, french, gaelic, norwiegen, german, chinese, vietnamese, hindi, and probably more). Smart people will learn the dominant language of the country they live in, not so smart ones won't.

Vagabond. WATS on the way. You said what I just tried to, but so much better.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
You have voted The Vagabond for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

i second gull's opinion here
i just loved that post

Vagabond, you are an inspiration

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join