It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make United States Offical Language "English"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Save the English language IN the USA!!!!! Must Read
Hey all,
I normally dont ask anyone for anything but I feel this is an important subject so I am asking you all to copy and paste the link in this email to every White American person you know who would support this.

We are loosing the English language here in the United States in every way possible, from literature, to advertising to goverment forms and so on and so on. Lets make a stand together and force congress to pass English as the United States language.. meaning no spanish, no arabic no other language but English.

By clicking on this link it will bring you to a form where you can write directly to your state's politicians just by inserting your zip code. Lets all make a stand!!!! and remember, its bad enough we are the growing minority in the United States. Should we all just bow down and let them strip us of our language too. I think not!!!!

Pass this on!!

www.usenglish.org...

Justmytype

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
que?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I dont mind if they speak in there native tongue with one another, but for [snip] sake, speak english while your in america!

Mod Edit: removed censor circumvention
Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Question as in?
This is fact and I have given those who feel they want to help make this happen an outlet to do so. A lot of people do not have the first clue where to look or what to do to make the changes they feel should be addressed in our country. It is true that whites are becoming the minority in the United States and our forefathers given language is slowly disapating with all the influences from imigrants who are now in our land.

Speak English or go home, we have had enough!

Justmytype

PS. I have the right to free speech or is that going to be stripped from me as well!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Moving to U.S. Politics.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I wonder if the native american indians ever think, gee why don't they learn our language or get the funkdoodle out?

lollercaust.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Lysergic,

We already played cowboys, "which were white europeans" and indians, and you know how that ended up besides dont you think we would be speaking native american if someone from the indian nations thought to do something about us speaking a diffrent language on thier land years ago.

Wait until we play the white European race vs immigrants..Im sure you know that History repeats itslef and once again the white race will stand as the dominant in the United States.

All it takes is for people to get involved.. things will change!

Justmytype

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
que?

That might be spelled 'Queue'

so according to Merriam Webster

1 : a braid of hair usually worn hanging at the back of the head
2 : a waiting line especially of persons or vehicles
3 a : a sequence of messages or jobs held in temporary storage awaiting transmission or processing b : a data structure that consists of a list of records such that records are added at one end and removed from the other

Or did you mean CUE?

As in the stick used to play billiards?
Or the message given to an actor in order to have them start an action?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I did'nt think there was a petition for this.

Honestly I thought that English was made our official language
over the summer, could have swore I heard something about it.

Anyways, I signed it, English is the de facto language of
our country as is.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I wonder if the native american indians ever think, gee why don't they learn our language or get the funkdoodle out?

And just exactly which of the countless indigenous languages do you suppose the native American Indians would have recommend to the Europeans to have taken-up?...preferably one with a written accompaniment I hope…

But, hey, when the Spanish, British, French and Portuguese etal. coming over to colonize …who needs language, right?

I’m all for a single recognized language in the States. For one thing, just look at the vast amount of trees that would be saved merely from printing everything in multiple languages.

mg

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Down with diversity!!!!! Go white or go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prussian blue has an awesome new single out too!

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
que = what (in spanish) ((for the record))

English is a language that takes many words from almost every language. Truly, the language spoken in the US should be called 'Americanized English', because we do not speak Britian's English.

I used to be for this. The day that 'bling-bling' was entered into the dictionary, I gave up.

I went on vacation to Germany over the summer, and realized something. The official language is german - however, there are many dialects, some of which sound so completely different that northern germans cannot understand southern germans.

Likewise, Hindi is the official language of India, and yet there are SOOOO many dialects that no one really understands each other in the cities.

So, what would making English the official language truly solve?

Is this an issue of people immagrating and not speaking english? I've yet to meet one. Most immagrants that I've met have a working understanding of the language, at least the basics..

Besides that, most Americans don't even know their own language.. proper spelling, grammer.. These are necessary to truly speaking the language, to knowing how to use it.

In fact, Indians (from India) speak better English than Americans! Their vocabulary is better than almost any college student, nevermind adult.

I agree that when people come to another country, they should learn the language.
That does not equate, however, that english should be the official language of America.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
ermm..

its already the offical language. it got passed afew months back.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Diseria you misspelled grammar =)

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
ermm..

its already the offical language. it got passed afew months back.

To my knowledge only the Senate has passed resolutions on English being the either the national language, language of government or recognized language primacy.

Both H.R. 997 “English Language Unity Act of 2005”, H.R. 4408 “National Language Act of 2005” are still in committee.

If there is a source that states English has been made the official national language and language of the US government, I am completely unaware the legislation. A majority of states have adopted this policy, but at the Federal level?

mg

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think they should make English the official language. Some things are getting ridiculous -- like in NYC the voting materials I receive in the mail from the Board of Elections is like in ten different languages. If you're a citizen and vote, you should be able to know enough English to read simple instructions like that.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's a matter worthy of study. I've never really been in favor of an official language, mainly because languages should be fluid and I don't want to see in America what the French try to do with their language.

It never hurts to light a fire under politcians every now and again, just to keep them hopping, so I sent an email to my legislators.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think making English our official language would be a waste of time. We'd just have to go through the whole shibang all over again in 20 or 30 years when it came time to make Spanish the official language of the United States.

I think things are pretty fair as they stand. English is infact a social necessity in America and most people who take the time to master it see rewards. When I was 18 I landed a job with a guy who was NOTORIOUS for sending away anyone the main office sent him that was under 21. He took one look at my application and said, "My God, you can spell!" I was as good as hired just for that alone.

I don't feel like people should have to speak english or lose their livelihoods. There's ample pressure on them, and that's good enough.

Now, my bank has insulted me by several times sending me literature only in Spanish. I happen to be functional enough in Spanish that I could read the letter and I know that it was an offer that was open to and appealing to english speakers. Not a big deal but not something I'd want to live with.

To that end, I believe that local goverrnments should require public institutions and businesses under their jurisdiction to provide vital information and preferential offers in any language spoken by a designated percentage of the local population, so that various localities can ensure that minorities are not socially disenfranchised. Afterall, it doesn't take a "whites only" sign to discriminate. If a bank only provides literature in English or only in Spanish, and only hires employees fluent in one language, any portion of the local population that doesn't speak that language is effectively banned. If that were allowed, it would be a small matter for a couple of rednecks in some boondocks town to get together, make up a series of code phrases for common transactions, and use that as an exclusive language to bar minorities. That would suck, wouldn't it?

Imagine being a Mexican immigrant who has worked hard and learned to speak DEAD-ON PERFECT English.
You drive up to the only gas station in town: Circle KKK. You pull up to the pump, you go inside, and you ask for 20 bucks on pump three. The gas station attendant says, "I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with your dialect. Are you on pump Bleh, Blah, Bluh, or Burp? So you pick the third one, pump Bluh, and they ask how much, and since you don't know the word for 20 in their little pig latin you just explain how many multiples of blurp you want and hand them your card. At this point you're feeling pretty dang smart because you beat that redneck at his own game.
Except he's changed the rules on you, Bluh means 2, and so he just gave 14 bucks on your card to the customer on pump 2, and when you dispute the charges he's legally in the clear.
WOW.

So the way I see it, there has to be provision for a multilingual society to avoid both incidental and intentional discrimination. Not only do we not need a single official language, but we need a mandate of reasonable mutual accomodation. Afterall, it only sounds unncessary to native English speakers while the majority speaks English. Wait a few decades and see what happens.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Vagabond,

May I ask your race? Reason being is that you are correct we will be speaking Spanish in the United States if we do not take a stand now. This isnt racially motivated but a preservation of our history and heritage. White "English" speaking Europeans founded this nation and our language is part of our culture. Over the past decade we are slowly loosing our heritage do to all the immigrants who have flooded our country. Do other countries accomidate thier heritage for those who decided to move to thier countries, absolutly not. I feel if you have fled to the United states to become an American, then be one, speak the language, leave your prior countries flag where you came from and embrace our culture as it was. Too many immigrants are under the inconception that they are here to claim a piece of our land, incorrect they should be here to live as we do and honor our country as Americans.

I am sorry but if our country is going to allow all these diffrent ethnicities to embrace thier own culture here on our land, then why bother being a country lets just let the races speak for themselves and fight for ownership of this land.

Parades & Flags.
No more African Americans, No more Italian Americans, No more Muslim Americans no more!!!! By having parades in our country you are showing support from which country you originated from. This shows a direct lack of respect to all American citizens go fly your flag and support your heritage in your own land, your heritage has no say here, honor and respect ours,and fly the american flag and speak english or take your flags and cultures and go back where you came from.

Americans really need to see what is going on. How much respect do you think you would gain from having a American day in another country. Exactly, it dosent happen anywhere else in the world so why should it be tolerated here!

Move forward protect our heritage and culture and pass and sign this petition. Its the only way we can fight to preserve our heritage and History of being Americans and remember all those who came here through Ellis Island embraced American Culture and learned our language and spoke it in public.

Now do whats right!

Justmytype!

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MasterJedi
Diseria you misspelled grammar =)

Touche..

< Spellers of the world Untie! >

[edit on 22-11-2006 by Diseria]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>