It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War on Terror over?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's been very quiet on the WoT front recently:

Iraq has just blended into the background with a daily toll of death and carnage as the accepted status quo.

Iran is being touted as a potential solution to the problem of Iraq.

North Korea is not being mentioned since they set off that nuke.

We've become used to an almost weekly sequence of threats, spin and leaks about plans to 'deal with' the 'axis of evil' and yet in the last few weeks it's been very quiet. Even on ATS the 'fleet trackers' and Neo-cons have gone quiet on predicting impending war.

Is this due to Bush's pasting in the polls recently?, has the war been won?, has it been lost and therefore won't be fought?, or is this the calm before the storm and we can expect a quick campaign of rhetoric and then bombing before Christmas?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
In case you missed it, the elections are over... and the dems hold significant power, right? "Time to backpedal!"

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
'Polls' as in elections not as in 'opinion polls' - an election is a poll.

So you think as Bush has lost power there'll be no more WoT?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous

Democrats take power, does that mean they will just ignore the terrorists and treat them like they are insignificant? Pull all troops home and hope for the best?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous

no no no no no...

I don't think Bush has lost power, either...

I just think that Bush can't go around bolstering his position quite as easily as he once did...

When you've got a Rep. President, a Rep. Congress, and a Rep. Sup. Court, it's a lot easier. Now that he's got the side that originally gave him his blank check (the Rep. Congress) changed to Democrats (which the US populous obviously believes will change something... he'll have to be a bit more tactful.

That's my ideal on this post...

Trying as hard as I can to stay on topic, I think the Dem party is just as corrupt, but they'll have to hide it for a couple years to ensure their re-election...

But then again, I don't think it's the Republican or the Democrats or the Libertarians or whomever... it's the ones behind the money... the ones not even in our government... it's that little group of private international bankers. Now with a new group in the spotlight (dems in congress), they'll have to ponder ways to snowball the worldwide populous from a different angle.

[edit on 11/20/2006 by Infoholic]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If you didn't realize the War on Terror was based on politics then the resignation of Rumsfeld the day after the election should have eliminated this doubt from your head.

I do not know if the Democrats intend to maintain the seemingly lame duck executive administration's elective wars for much longer or actually increase their number, but certainly the military actions going on now have everything to do with politics and nothing to do with actual security.

I imagine the foreign policy stupidity the U.S. has been engaged in will be coming to a quiet halt sometime shortly before the 2008 election season. Or perhaps they will turn into something else.

The War on Terror as we have known it since 2001 is over. Its either going to go away slowly or become some other military function.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Frith]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Came across this article earlier saying the WoT can last for 30 years, regardless of government change.
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 21-11-2006 by ben420]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben420
Came across this article earlier saying the WoT can last for 30 years, regardless of government change.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Think tanks have a way of overestimating or being downright wrong on this subject. The Project for the New American Century think tank, which is certainly part and parcel of the War on Terror, is now alleged to have closed.

One of the bigger names of the PNAC think tank, Francis Fukuyama, has come out and said the neoconservative militarization movement is dead. However Fukuyama does not have any political sway like its other members such as Dick Cheney, so it remains to be seen if he is right.

Its obvious that if the U.S. government, which now has Democrats currently in control, does not address and resolve the Iraq debacle, then another political upheaval will take place in 2008. And that upheaval process will repeat until the War on Terror ends. The wars being waged, clearly very political in nature, will not last through such changes.

[edit on 21-11-2006 by Frith]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrithThe Project for the New American Century think tank, which is certainly part and parcel of the War on Terror, is now alleged to have closed.

What does that have to do with anything?

The Oxford Research Group report said recent political changes in the US would make "very little difference" to the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben420
What does that have to do with anything?

If you read the article you would have noticed that the first thing it says is that this 30 year prediction came from a think tank. I stated that think tanks that have some association with the War on Terror have been erroneous a great deal and the one most cloesly associated with it has closed.

So I do not believe this War on Terror will last anything near 30 years given think tank track records on these conflicts.

top topics

join