It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil War in Mexico??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

MEXICO CITY - Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador launched a parallel government Monday and swore himself in as Mexico's "legitimate" president, a ceremony the leftist hopes will keep alive his protests to undermine the man who defeated him at the polls.

The inauguration ceremony is the latest chapter in Lopez Obrador's unsuccessful battle for the presidency. He claims fraud and dirty campaign tactics were responsible for President-elect Felipe Calderon's narrow victory in the July 2 vote, and his parallel government could spend the next six years calling for street protests that have already dented the economy and prompted travel warnings from the U.S. Embassy.

While the red-green-and-white presidential sash draped across Lopez Obrador's shoulders Monday lacks legal recognition, he hopes to assume the moral leadership of millions of poor Mexicans.

Based in Mexico City, Lopez Obrador's parallel government has its own Cabinet, but it will not collect taxes or make laws and will rely on donations to carry out its plans.

"I swear to honor and fulfill the constitution as the legitimate president," Lopez Obrador said to tens of thousands of supporters in Mexico City's main plaza, the Zocalo.

He said his first action would be to hold a plebescite on the drafting of a new constitution that would demand fairness and plurality in the media and combat business monopolies.

Creating a parallel govt., a new constitution, confront and deny the inauguration of the President, possible violence against Calderon to remove him from office. Looks like there could be a civil war unless they somehow make a compromise that would please both sides.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Launching a a parallel government strikes me as more of a symbolic gesture then anything else. If Lopez wanted to overthrow the government he would need elements of the Mexican military on his side.

There are three main components of the Army: a national headquarters, territorial commands, and independent units. The Minister of Defense commands the Army by means of a very centralized system and a large number of general officers. The Army uses a modified continental staff system in its headquarters. The Army is the largest branch of Mexico's armed services.

At present there are 12 Military Regions, which are further broken down into 44 subordinate Military Zones. In both cases, a numbering system is used for designation. There is no set number of zones within a region, and these can therefore be tailored to meet operational needs, with a corresponding increase or decrease in troop strength.

Link

Location Mexican Citys

Due to the Geographical nature of Mexico an civil war in that country would result in heavy civilian casualties due to the fact there dosnt appear to appear any clear cut rural and urban locations. In much of the world Urban areas tend to be near the coast with more rural areas further inland.

Control of coastal ports, US - Mexico border and key airstrips could play an important role who ever controls the major population centers would have an advantage assuming that the security situation was reasonable.

The other thing to bear in mind is what role would the US play in a Mexican civil war ?
The CIA would probably stick its nose and have it bitten off. The US already seems to have border problems just think of the number of refuges who would flee across the US border to escape the civil war.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is what I thought would happen after the election... The election was stolen, and the mexicans did what they had to do, resist. Americans should have done the same thing in 2000.

I just hope the majority of Mexicans fight against this puppet government that was ``elected`` by the CIA to bring the North American Union.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I just hope the majority of Mexicans fight against this puppet government that was ``elected`` by the CIA to bring the North American Union.

Vitchilo since you support a uprising Iv got some questions for you.

Do you believe that the Mexican government could be overthrown without military force ?

Do you think that the people that would replace the current government would be any better ?

Do you think that any political comprise would only delay a civil war ?

If the military option is used do you believe that Lopez forces could achieve a military victory ?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Do you believe that the Mexican government could be overthrown without military force ?

Of course, but it would take time and blood from the people.

Do you think that the people that would replace the current government would be any better ?

Maybe, it depends on the people who are in charge of the uprising.

Do you think that any political comprise would only delay a civil war ?

Of course.

If the military option is used do you believe that Lopez forces could achieve a military victory ?
Hardly. It would be very long, bloody and I think it would end into a great division of the country and an assassination of the next 2 presidents, it depends on how many people are in the uprising and the CIA operations in the country to further their interests and the NAU.

I'm all for peaceful protest, but when the military is enforcing a puppet government, and killing the resistance, i'm all for resisting with arms if you don't have the choice or if they won't bow to the people's will until they are dead, just like a lot of dictatorships.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well unless Lopez forces would have stand a reasonable chance at victory otherwise you my as well sign the death warrants of millions of people right now. There is no point and people dieing needlessly.
Vitchilo do you see a Vietnam situation developing minus the wide scale US involvement ?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Vitchilo do you see a Vietnam situation developing minus the wide scale US involvement ?

A vietnam for the mexican military? A civil war is worse than a Vietnam. But for now, I don't think it will develop into a civil war, it's not in the ``resistance`` advantage, maybe later. But we'll see what the current president does regarding this, if he see them as traitors, it could be bloody.

The current president should talk with them. If he does not and go after them, I'm pretty sure the US will help him, with money, arms or even mercenaries or soldiers, because it would be against the corporations will that a guy of the people enter the presidency of a member of the NAU.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
MEXICO is nothing but a third world country. The Govt., instead of trying to reform is complicant in sending their problems to the US. Mainly "ILLEAGAL IMMIGRATION"

If Mexico wasn't such a SH*THOLE to live in in the first place, the USA would not have a problem. No matter who won the election in Mexico, the corruption by the Govt. is not going to stop. And who is going to suffer, the USA.

Until we, the USA, put a boot heel on the neck of the Mexican Govt. Their problems are going to become our problems. The Mexican Govt. supplies information for ILLEGALS to come to the US. How not to get caught, how to fit in! If we really want to stop this, then there are 2 choices.

1st the extreme....On the borser with Mexico, build a fence. This fence will have the only Spanish language signs, Stating that for the next 1/2 mile are land mines. Anyone willing to cross the border is willing to be blown up, BY THEIR OWN CHOICE! After this 1/2 mile of land mines will be another fence. No SIGNS!!! for the next 1/4 mile will be a no mans land with HUNGRY wolves waiting in it. Finally a 3rd fence where border patrol can pick up anyone who has made it through.

2nd is a choice where the USA can go into Mexico, put our boot heels on these people necks, and take control of their resources...NAMELY OIL!

For anyone in the USA who disagrees with this, let me ask you...Besides getting attacked directly,, what is most valuable to our national security than OIL? NOTHING!

If Mexico is not willing to take care of their own country, then the USA should ANNEX them.

1st take their OIL!
2nd If they refuse to stop the ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION,, treat them as invaders and shoot them on sight.
3rd If they can not control their drug cartels, then EXTERMINATE THEM!!
4th if they can not stop terrorist from coming across the border, see the land mine ideas

If we are to be one big NORTH AMERICAN family then MEXICO is the BASTARD CHILD, and should be treated as such!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Oh boy.. i can see "fascist people".

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Wait! Don't you need people to fight a civil war?

top topics

join