It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Kramer" from Seinfeld racist remarks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
No, but if a white man uses the primary word that represented oppression, degradation, murder, rape, and the identification of an animal class of human for the sole purpose of hurting another, that's very different.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbj

Originally posted by Flyer
I take it you'll boycott all the black comedians that use racial terms about white? If they were stopped, half of them wouldn't even have a career.

I'm sure you'll also boycott all the black rap artists who use the same terms.

It would never be a story if it was a black guy going off on a white guy, total hypocrisy and double standards.

THANK YOU!

That's not to say that these comments were on par, BUT...

*before reading...not meant to offend, just show the inherit problems*

...being in entertainment, and white, I'm so sick of the double standard that comes from racial comedy. Its fine for a black guy to go out on stage and say, "yeah, all my cracker friends, well they're all just '*mimicking white guy* 'honky dory just so long as I can get all my episodes of Buffy downloaded". But if a white guy goes out and says that all n***as (see I can't even type it for fear of blacklash & notics the "A") just looovvvee them some Popeyes and malt liquor...well DAMN look out!

[edit on 20-11-2006 by sbj]

[edit on 20-11-2006 by sbj]

It's not him saying the n-word that has african american people so angry, it's the way in which he uses it you can tell that he really meant it and was attacking them racially instead of in a joking way. The comment he said about how 500 years ago black people were swinging in the trees only semented that the words he was saying was meant to hit the hecklers persona.AND LET ME REPEAT WHAT HE WAS SAYING WAS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BE A JOKE...so saying that oh black people use it so why should there be a double standard does not apply to this. He was saying every hateful word in a bigoted way to hurt and belittle the hecklers character.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Richards' career is probably not going to skyrocket as a result of this, although I think he's gotten a lot more publicity today than he's gotten since "Seinfeld."

I noted many years ago, when stand-up comedy was all the rage on cable that there's a lot of comedy on television, but very little humor. I think that still holds true, not only on television, but for the comedy clubs, as well.

I used to go to a place called Laughs, here in ABQ, when I first moved here, but it was never anything more than profanity-laced, left-wing diatribes.

Why should I pay money for that?

[edit on 2006/11/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
No, but if a white man uses the primary word that represented oppression, degradation, murder, rape, and the identification of an animal class of human for the sole purpose of hurting another, that's very different.
and black people are supposed to celebrate that? Again its a double standard, if the word 'n-word' was so offensive, why do black people use it all the time?

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Flyer]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
and black people are supposed to celebrate that? Again its a double standard, if the word 'n-word' was so offensive, why do black people use it all the time?

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Flyer]

It's just disgusting how people are trying to justify what he said, with that weak double standard line. I can't make this any simpler for you, Richards said it to attack the color of the skin not as a joke. Hell, I wouldn't be angry if he did say the n word in a joking way but when he lashed backed at the hecklers he wanted to make them feel small and worthless.. any racism that he had stored inside himself erupted at that moment. The hecklers only called him a cracker after he made those racist comments just to hit him back with something so he knew what he said was racist.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Revelmonk]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revelmonk
It's just disgusting how people are trying to justify what he said, with that weak double standard line. I can't make this any simpler for you, Richards said it to attack the color of the skin not as a joke. Hell, I wouldn't be angry if he did say the n word in a joking way but when he lashed backed at the hecklers he wanted to make them feel small and worthless.. any racism that he had stored inside himself erupted at that moment. The hecklers only called him a cracker after he made those racist comments just to hit him back with something so he knew what he said was racist.

No, Im pointing out the hypocrisy of people getting all offended over something when a) blacks use the term on each other and b) no one would have said a thing if it was the other way round.

You dont get it, anger erupted, it doesnt mean hes a racist. If the guy had long hair and Richards called him a hippy, does that mean Richards is prejudiced against long hair. How about if the guy was English and Richards called him a limey?

Would this thread even be here if Richards was black?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Richards apologized for his remarks. At least we know that he has more class than a certain Massachusetts Senator.

Michael Richards said Monday he spewed racial epithets during a stand-up comedy routine because he lost his cool while being heckled and not because he's a bigot. "For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I'm deeply, deeply sorry," the former "Seinfeld" co-star said during a satellite appearance for David Letterman's "Late Show."

"I'm not a racist. That's what's so insane about this," Richards said, his tone becoming angry and frustrated as he defended himself. A clip from the show played on CBS before "Late Show" aired Monday night.

Richards described himself as going into "a rage" over the two audience members who interrupted his act Friday at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Richards responded to the black hecklers with repeated use of the "n word" and profanities.

tv.msn.com...

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I haven't read anyone yet who's tried to justify what he said, but it is about time the scales balanced out.

Comedian Paul Rodriguez, who was at the Laugh Factory during Richards' performance, said he was shocked.

"Once the word comes out of your mouth and you don't happen to be African-American, then you have a whole lot of explaining," Rodriguez told CNN. "Freedom of speech has its limitations and I think Michael Richards found those limitations."

If you can dish it out, you have to be able to take it.

The racist tag being thrown around because someone loses his cool and shouts a word is about as lame as it gets.

Sooner or later, the pendulum will complete its arc.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Many of the examples you use Flyer whether you know it or not are hurtful toward people. Unfortunately some things are acceptable and some are not. How do you think an obese person feels when they are insulted? Or a mentally challenged person?

I can also tell you that I am not too thrilled about black rap with lyrics about killing whites and raping women but these are not stopped from moving off the store shelves in the least and all with the excuse that it's an outlet for the angry black man.

None of this should be acceptable! Not Michael Richards spewing hatred, not the black rapper spewing hatred, not any of these horrible attacks on other human beings because they happen to merely look different or not be as smart or not be as attractive, etc...

You know, I watched a news report after someone had just shot up a school and they were interviewing this girl. They asked her why she thought this type of thing was happening so much to which she responded: I don’t know! All I know is this FREAK LOSER was just shooting everything! Gee, do you think maybe there’s something to it?

If people spent more time working their own shortcomings it would be a better world.

Look in the mirror my brothers and sisters. Next time, before you open your mouth to insult someone else, look in the mirror....

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Richards should know better coming from the background that he comes from first of all. Secondly, he could have caught himself at the first or even second N' word. But he went on and on and went on tangents even. I'm sorry but only an apologist would not find fault with this.

Also, it appears that the club owner and Richards hoped the deal would blow over cause this happened on Friday? Richards worked the club on Saturday and was supposed to apologize during his performance and didn't according to the club owner.

Richards will get off because he is one of the chosen ones.

I see that some are already comparing this incident to the Mel Gibson deal where they tried to destroy a guy who was one of the most powerful people in Hollywood. But Gibson's comments were not meant for public disclosure even though some of his critics are saying that he was exposed to harsher standards due to his higher public standing re: Richards.

I'm not buying it frankly. Add this to the 'Borat bigot' and you are starting to see a trend developing if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Add this to the 'Borat bigot' and you are starting to see a trend developing if you ask me.

Oh, brother.

Borat?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The racist tag being thrown around because someone loses his cool and shouts a word is about as lame as it gets.

Sooner or later, the pendulum will complete its arc.

So what do you call him saying those words as means to demean the black hecklers..playing to the audience??? I mean in the hundreds of ways he could of came back to the hecklers he decided to go with their race?..If you saying that he doesn't have any racism in him your just blind or just want to ignore the fact of what he said and the context that he said it because he is white. Can you even justify remark he made about how 50 years ago his people(white) had black people hanging from nooses. Are you telling me you can justify THAT?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is nothing like Borat.
Borat is a racist, like Archie Bunker was a racist..both are/were acting.
As someone else said earlier..look in the mirror.
I believe Borat is our Mirror. His comedy is painful, but that is the intent.
To make us realize predjudices that we thought were long gone.

As far as Michael Richards goes, he is a real person.
Those were real statements. He should be VERY ashamed.
And I hope he is sincere in his apologies.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
Many of the examples you use Flyer whether you know it or not are hurtful toward people. Unfortunately some things are acceptable and some are not. How do you think an obese person feels when they are insulted? Or a mentally challenged person?

I can also tell you that I am not too thrilled about black rap with lyrics about killing whites and raping women but these are not stopped from moving off the store shelves in the least and all with the excuse that it's an outlet for the angry black man.
and this was just an outlet for a clearly angry white man. I think its worse to sit down and calmly write racist lyrics or a racist act than say something you regretted in a rage.

If the guy was fat and Richards made fun of his weight, would the news be everywhere, would he people be prejudiced against fat people?

What the heckler did was wrong, what Richards did was wrong and the total overreaction by people is wrong.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here's a bit iof irony for you. Dan Patrick from ESPN is also scheduled to be on Letterman tonight. During his radio program during the 1:00 to 2:00 hour Keith Olberman co-hosts with him. They had been joking about how Dan has been bumped from the show before, once because of a drunken appearance by Farrah Faucett.

Later in the hour with Olberman they spoke with former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin. During the conversation Irvin made some comments about current Cowboy quarterback Tony Romo who is white. Irvin stated that Romo must have some black blood in his ancestry due to his athletic ability. Something along the lines that his great-great-great grandmother must have snuck down to barn at some point to get a little action and improve the athleticism in the blood line with one of the slaves.

Patrick and Olberman did not seem to know how to react. Irvin laughed himself silly.

Are those type of comments acceptable? Seems a little Jimmy the Greek to me. It will be ironic if Patrick gets bumped because of Richards' apology after hearing Irvin spout racial nonsense during his show this afternoon. I'm assuming there will be no consequences for Irvin.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
:shk:@racisim

nobody's different or sub-human because of they're skin color. we all bleed red.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Here's a bit iof irony for you. Dan Patrick from ESPN is also scheduled to be on Letterman tonight. During his radio program during the 1:00 to 2:00 hour Keith Olberman co-hosts with him. They had been joking about how Dan has been bumped from the show before, once because of a drunken appearance by Farrah Faucett.

Later in the hour with Olberman they spoke with former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin. During the conversation Irvin made some comments about current Cowboy quarterback Tony Romo who is white. Irvin stated that Romo must have some black blood in his ancestry due to his athletic ability. Something along the lines that his great-great-great grandmother must have snuck down to barn at some point to get a little action and improve the athleticism in the blood line with one of the slaves.

Patrick and Olberman did not seem to know how to react. Irvin laughed himself silly.

Are those type of comments acceptable? Seems a little Jimmy the Greek to me. It will be ironic if Patrick gets bumped because of Richards' apology after hearing Irvin spout racial nonsense during his show this afternoon. I'm assuming there will be no consequences for Irvin.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, stop trying to compare what richards said to a black comedian or person making a comedic attempt at his own race. I am so tired of people trying to defend richards with that double standards BS..because it is. Did you even watch the video, did you see the context in which he said and further more have you even been reading the previous post. I don't want to seem like I am overly beating the issue into the ground but he said what he said and he can't take it back.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Irvin is not a comedian, he's an ex-football player. I'm not condoning what Richards did. Just pointing out these type of things happen on a regular basis on both sides.

I'm watching Richards apologize as I type this. He seems sincere and genuinely disappointed in himself.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by Musky]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This Ain't Comedy

I've never seen a black comedian launch into a white audience member like this, and consider the comparison specious.

This is in a totally different league from the "black people dance like this, but white people dance like this" variety of stand-up.

This wasn't comedy, and this wasn't an act.

It also wasn't a "mistake", a "slip of the tongue" or a minor "faux pas".

Mr. Richards bared his soul on that stage for all to see.

And unfortunately for everyone involved, it wasn't a pretty sight.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You're right. It wasn't comedy. It wasn't part of his act and only came about because of persistent abuse from the audience member.

He went to far, but he was provoked

He has apologized and now it should be history.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If he is let off so easily, what about others who have also commited the same fallacies?

Has Mel Gibson been forgiven?

[edit on 20-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join