It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and Big Brother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Big Brother To Decide If You Drive

245 million Americans to be forced to undergo "guilty until proven innocent" breathalyzer tests just to start their cars if plan proceeds.

"The threat of arrest and punishment, for decades the primary tactic against drunken drivers, is no longer working in the struggle to reduce the death toll, officials say, and they are proposing turning to technology — alcohol detection devices in every vehicle — to address the problem," reports the New York Times.

In addition, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers today began a campaign to make all states pass legislation that mandates these devices be placed in all cars of drunk drivers, even if they are just a first time offender.

- GPS tracking and taxation black boxes are being pushed to coincide with the construction of the NAFTA Superhighway, where all vehicles will be forced to use toll roads and will have their every movement catalogued by spy satellites in alliance with a massive centralized database.

- US citizens will be forced to adopt a de-facto national identification card and have their freedom of mobility defined by behavioral fealty to the government under proposals set to derive from NAFTA superhighway toll road systems and the implementation of the American Union.

- Biometric eye scanners that can detect tiredness and deny mobility if the system judges the driver to be fatigued are being proposed for individual vehicle use after being utilized by police in Australia.

- Proposals are in play to install surveillance cameras in all cars, especially in areas where legislation has been passed that bans the individual from smoking in their own car if a child is also present.

- In March 2004, Toyota launched its concept car of the future - a literal behavior modification surveillance center on wheels - festooned with Big Brother technology - that will record every nuance and error the driver exhibits, and will limit its performance based on those factors, including refusing to turn itself on. Industry publications and other motor industry giants have also touted surveillance infested vehicles as the model for all future development.

Source

This is too much!!!

I agree that something needs to be done against drunk drivers, but the way this is heading, it appears to me as another way for the government to add more surveillance to the American populous. Again, they say it will be for "this issue", but how long will it be before they abuse this power, too (of course, once it gets passed).

[added the blue light thingy
]

added linky, sorry.

[edit on 11/20/2006 by Infoholic]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Nah bro, sorry to say but u are wrong if u think this is not a good idea...

I drink a LOT. and i also do other things that we can't *ahem* talk about here on ATS........

and i'll tell u, nothing makes me more angry than STUPID DRUNK DRIVERS. Why? because driving while ur screwed up is POINTLESS.

I'm sorry, but i've been blasted out my mind on more times than i can even remeber.....and even though sometimes i REALLY wanted to drive somewhere, or really needed to drive home..i opted to take a cab, or just wait it out until enough HOURS had passed before i was sober.

There's never a good reason for driving while u are intoxicated. Unless your mom is dying and you need to rush her to the hospital (which never happens to 99% of people arrested for DUI), then you have no valid reason for driving a car. This has nothing to do with big brother...this has to do with these IDIOTS that get behind the wheel of a car when they F'd up and kill someone. That ain't cool. I am probly as liberal a guy as u can get when it comes to taking *certain* substances, but i will NEVER support "easier" laws on DRUNK DRIVERS.

I never wanna hurt someone or myself if i am intoxicated..on whatever the "drug" may be. So i think this act is a great thing and i support it 100%.

Bottom line: There's never an excuse for driving drunk. . So you have to STFU and deal with whatever punishment u get dealt.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spawwwn
Nah bro, sorry to say but u are wrong if u think this is not a good idea...

I drink a LOT. and i also do other things that we can't *ahem* talk about here on ATS........

and i'll tell u, nothing makes me more angry than STUPID DRUNK DRIVERS. Why? because driving while ur screwed up is POINTLESS.

I'm sorry, but i've been blasted out my mind on more times than i can even remeber.....and even though sometimes i REALLY wanted to drive somewhere, or really needed to drive home..i opted to take a cab, or just wait it out until enough HOURS had passed before i was sober.

There's never a good reason for driving while u are intoxicated. Unless your mom is dying and you need to rush her to the hospital (which never happens to 99% of people arrested for DUI), then you have no valid reason for driving a car. This has nothing to do with big brother...this has to do with these IDIOTS that get behind the wheel of a car when they F'd up and kill someone. That ain't cool. I am probly as liberal a guy as u can get when it comes to taking *certain* substances, but i will NEVER support "easier" laws on DRUNK DRIVERS.

I never wanna hurt someone or myself if i am intoxicated..on whatever the "drug" may be. So i think this act is a great thing and i support it 100%.

Bottom line: There's never an excuse for driving drunk. . So you have to STFU and deal with whatever punishment u get dealt.

Maybe you should read the rest of the article, Spawwwn.

I enjoy drinking myself. HOWEVER, I like you, am responsible for my actions. I did not start this topic to debate whether or not we should be allowed to drink, or even debate whether or not we should drive... I added the topic to get the spotlight on Big Brother. Whether you like it or not, the direction that activist are taking on this particular issue is taking a big step towards getting the government to "track" the general populous more than it is already trying to do.

The activists are trying to get something done about the ignorant people that get trashed and get behind the wheel, which is good, but to ask the government to step in as they have done now, is rediculous. That is like you and I begging the government to take the steps necessary to make us ask for permission to do anything. Why would they stop at the "alcohol" issue?

Maybe you should put the can (or bong) down and clear you mind and look at the punishment they are dealing. As I've said in other posts...It's not about the crime, it's about the control. They won't stop there, and you know it.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
First of all, you need to post the link to your quoted source...

Anyway, these breathalizer machines will only be required for people who have been convicted of DUI. If you're convicted of a crime, the gov't can take away certain rights from you or punish you in any way they see fit (as long as it's not cruel or unususal). In this case, I think requiring this type of device for people convicted with DUI is certainly a fitting reaction by the gov't to the crime and protects the public safety.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Sorry... my bad.

There ya go.

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
First of all, you need to post the link to your quoted source...

Anyway, these breathalizer machines will only be required for people who have been convicted of DUI. If you're convicted of a crime, the gov't can take away certain rights from you or punish you in any way they see fit (as long as it's not cruel or unususal). In this case, I think requiring this type of device for people convicted with DUI is certainly a fitting reaction by the gov't to the crime and protects the public safety.

The breathalizers are just the tip of the perverbial iceburg.

What about the biometric eye scanners? What about the highway surveillance? What about the GPS Tracking issue?
Yes, I know the GPS is readily available in cars nowadays, or even the pocket type, but they will be tracking people further than purposes of their own pursuit of happiness.

top topics

join