It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People Believe In God Just For Something To Believe In?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So do people believe in him just so they have something to believe in without actually believeing that he exsist?

When people say stuff like "When such and such happens and all that goes on in the world....at the end of the day I just need this to believe in." They have to believe in him more out of relief of what's happening around them than actually believing in him and that he does exist. They say they need to believe in it not that they actually do.

They just wont something to believe in without actually believing in it.

-tts

[edit: Spelling]

[edit on 20-11-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't believe in god in the sense that there is a man sitting up in the clouds watching us. I do however, believe in and have felt the love that is there. When people say god, I don't think about that man in the clouds, nor do I think about jesus or any of the other prophet/messiah figures for each religion. What I think about is love. Life is love, creation is done out of love (unless it's in a lab for "science" which in my opinion is like another religion to some), everything around us consists of light, we only see what our brains leave after filtering the rest.

So basically, yes I believe in "god", but not in the sense that most people do. I do not believe just to have something, or even to get me through the day. I believe because I have felt a small bit of that infinite love that god has for us, and it was the best feeling that had ever come across me. I believe because I have felt it, and i've also left my body before (it was a very strange feeling).

That is why i believe in what i believe in.

Peace and love

Pancho

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
first and foremost people believe in GOD because they don't fully believe in themselves... they don't full love themselves.. and since everyone else is a human and just as 'weak' we make a person / super-being that we can look up to, because we can not look within..... So we create a light / seed outside of us.... we create something outside of us, that is entangible... we've only every felt it / experienced it and that's subjective... it isn't yet tangible... it may never be.
But just like Jesus said, the grapevine that is planted outside shall be plucked up because it isn't 'good' fruit... u get the idea.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
some people believe in god for the sake of believing

some believe because they need comfort

others to because they think it's the right horse to back

there are a plethora of reasons (especially when you consider the 4+ billion people that believe in 1 or more dieties), so i'm not going to list them all

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Despite logic people believe in the existence of a higher power because it gives them comfort and explains the unexplainable. Historically religion has been on the wrong side of proven scientific facts and the trend appears to be continuing today. :shk::shk:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Despite logic people believe in the existence of a higher power because it gives them comfort and explains the unexplainable. Historically religion has been on the wrong side of proven scientific facts and the trend appears to be continuing today. :shk::shk:

I believe in what I believe in because of my own personal experiences and knowledge. I've had dreams that ended up happening to me exactly as I saw it. I've left my body before, and I've had lucid dreams. I've felt the love, and call it whatever you want to call it, but it's there. You are of course entitled to your opinion as is everybody, and I myself don't care too much for organized religion either (as i have no religion), but how can science prove what is to humans what their minds can not comprehend? How often does science change it's mind? You should be careful you see, if you get too involved with science then science itself will become a religion, and where's the faith in science?

Science fails to recognize the single most
Potent element of human existence.
Letting the rains go, to the unfolding, is faith

Science

Has failed

Our world

Science

Has failed our mother earth.

Spirit moves through all things.

From "Science" by System Of A Down

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah I think it is a big copout when people just say, "Oh well I have screwed up today but that is alright because when I am dead some God will save me and I will be happy."

However, who am I to say that? They may actually have good reasons (of their own) to think that. Anyway, if someone has reasons to believe in something that are beyond an excuse to have a low set of standards, then I am eager to hear what they think.

But some do actually seem to think that salvation by grace, and they might be right, but I really have a hard time dealing with people who just think that they have 0 responsibility and Jesus will save them no matter what. But they might be the only ones that are right! Haha

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Science cant explain every event but the key thing is that science is adoptable to the facts. I don't follow Science blindly I just prefer facts to faith.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
Yeah I think it is a big copout when people just say, "Oh well I have screwed up today but that is alright because when I am dead some God will save me and I will be happy."

However, who am I to say that? They may actually have good reasons (of their own) to think that. Anyway, if someone has reasons to believe in something that are beyond an excuse to have a low set of standards, then I am eager to hear what they think.

But some do actually seem to think that salvation by grace, and they might be right, but I really have a hard time dealing with people who just think that they have 0 responsibility and Jesus will save them no matter what. But they might be the only ones that are right! Haha

I agree with you here, people do this too often. We have all of the responsibility, we were put here to nurture this planet, this is our garden so to speak. I don't think it's a good idea to feel that no matter what you do, you'll be just dandy. Energy is what it's about, you put out bad energy and you get bad energy, and vice versa. This is just what I know from my experience. You are also right, we don't know for a fact what is "right" and what is wrong; but in my opinion it doesn't matter what you believe in as long as you love. That is the most positive energy we have, and it really does us good to love.

@xpert11

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you are in some sort of science cult or something. I was just saying that while science is a good tool for us to use, it is not whole, just as religions are not whole. Neither one of them encompasses our entirety and makes us aware of our whole selves. We can't have just faith, and we can't have just facts, we need a good balance of both. I'm sorry if i sounded a bit rude, because I wasn't trying to be. Sometimes my words come out in a way that causes people to miss what I was really trying to convey, it's not their fault, it's just at times i tend to overcomplicate situations.

Peace, love, and unity

Pancho

top topics

join