It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK-47 named as the best weapon of 20th Century.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ch1466
'People' as the species Homo Sapiens have an instinctive distaste for killing each other manually.

Yeah tell that to any law enforcement agent out there, or anyone whos seen any action for that matter. Go ahead. Im sure theyd be thrilled to hear your opinion. The fact that humans still quite enjoy killing is.. well a fact. This is pretty evident if you consider how our primitive ancestors lived, when the "kill or be killed" rule was the law of the jungle. Take your 18yo average joe from America with, give him a gun and put him in conditions closely (or as close as it gets nowadays) resemblig those of the past. Then tell him that not only will killing the "bad guys" not get him into any trouble, but in fact he will be rewarded for it. Watch what happens. `Nam, anybody? Were still barbarians you know. Civilized barbarians perhaps, but all the base instincts are still there.

That is why we remove ourselves from the direct acts responsibility by using a tool.

No. We use tools because they make killing much easier. The whole history of human evolution is closely tied to the evolution of implements of termination. First we used them to fend off animals, then turned on each other. Like someone here said for better or for worse, or else we would still be stuck in the stone age hiding in caves from sabre toothed tigers. They didnt exterminate themselves you know

Often clamped under his arm like tuba because he can't control it any other way.

I guess you would know

Originally posted by ch1466 Which is why the Soviets sent cases of these things to poor, dumb, desperate areas of the world where corrupt capitalism was vulnerable to direct anarchy. They didn't want to win. They just wanted to make us lose so we would be bogged down fighting microwars while they plotted the big one. And in so-doing _the weapon not the end user_ is indeed the principle vector to achieving the requisite chaos to make a government collapse.

Somehow i have doubts that this rifle was made for the sole purpose of exporting it all over the world to create "microwars while they plotted the big one" Lolll i can just see Kalashnikov with top brass in an underground bunker somewhere: We make gun. Gun kill everyone. America lose. We drink vodka.. followed by demonic laughter
The Kalash was exported to so many places because people liked it. Why did they like it? Because like so many Russian products; it is rugged, reliable, easy to operate, and very effective for its low cost. In other words dare i say good?

That weapon, which you are all kowtowing before like it was some freakin' golden calf, is the auto-over-accurate, lasts-forever-when-kicked-daily, AK-47.

Thanks for the compliment

Originally posted by ch1466Now imagine it's a 170,000 vs. 15,000 one where everybody is using assault weapons. Is it any freakin' wonder that there are 650,000 DEAD CIVILLIANS in Iraq where it's cheaper to get a gun than running water?

Ahem ahem.. 650 thousand? Shall i teach you how to use google? Actually more like 55-61 thousand, and the only reason theyre dead is because of the US lead invasion of Iraq. Think about that. By the way, a huge number of AKs on the market are cheap Chinese and Arab copies of the weapon. Yet noone blames them eh.
Of course we all get your point about how it would be more humane to bash a persons head in with a rock time after time, or slit his throat instead of using the "diabolical creation" of Mr Kalashnikov.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
indeed, russia stopped manufacturing kalashnikov long ago, but other counties continued making them under license

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
But lets not forget that the test on discovery channel takes only certain things in account.

- the amount of AK's in the world and how much of them are produced.
- the simple concept and cheap manufactoring

In thise case a Volkswagen bug would be the best car in the world today. The Bug is the AK of cars

But there are alot better guns then the AK. If i would face a 1 vs1 situation i would choose the G36 because its more acurate. So my chances to survive is higher.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
indeed, russia stopped manufacturing kalashnikov long ago, but other counties continued making them under license

or without a licence

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danielsan79But there are alot better guns then the AK. If i would face a 1 vs1 situation i would choose the G36 because its more acurate.

Remember that the vast majority of people in the world with assault rifles are not trained marksmen, they rely on 'spray and pray'.
Is the best weapon for them one that's complicated and needs maintenance, or something that's cheap and reliable?

That's what's made the AK-47 #1

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I own an AK and I can say they are truly great guns. At the range after about 60 rnds. I have to let it cool down but it is a great gun none the less.
Mine is a Yugo underfolder so I can not speak for the other builds that are out there.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It is not the VW bus of guns, because even the cheap rommy models are great guns.

I have two guns that have never given me a misfire, and I would trust my life to. my Glock and my AK.

And with regard to the AK accuracy issues, people make more out of that then is really warranted. My AK is plenty accurate out to 100 yards. It is not a 300 yard tack driver, but I don't find that necessary in a battle rifle.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadilyUnavailable
It is not the VW bus of guns, because even the cheap rommy models are great guns.

I have two guns that have never given me a misfire, and I would trust my life to. my Glock and my AK.

And with regard to the AK accuracy issues, people make more out of that then is really warranted. My AK is plenty accurate out to 100 yards. It is not a 300 yard tack driver, but I don't find that necessary in a battle rifle.

What kind of AK do you have?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by gone_wrong

Originally posted by Russian soldier

or without a licence

exactly, and if that program on history channel is correct, China contributed greatly to the spreading of AKs and produced quit alot of them.

The AK-47 is nowhere near the best assault rifle, but for a weapon made right after ww2, it is a great all around weapon that is rugged and reliable, I like newer stuff though like AK-100 series and the AN-94,,, I never did like wood stocks, glad to see Russia making all new weapons with special black plastic stocks like the AKs, the newer PK and Dragunova.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join