It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will anyone create the definitive history of gaming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Present-day gaming is not only a multi-billion dollar industry, but its also one of the hallmark of the post-industrial society. Despite this, there has not been a single objective or serious attempt to truly evaluate, analyze and create a definitive history of computer/video gaming. What is availiable is either too small on focus or is the usual poor American-style of history, dumbed down and interepreted to be swallowed by the masses. For one, whatever little history is availiable on the subject makes the absurd mistake of blending computer games with video console games. The two are VERY different. They have the same origin, but they are like siblings, the only commonality is their parents. I was watching CNBC's documentary "Game On!" and they made this mistake, but they also completely ignored the revolutionary innovations by people like Ken and Roberta Williams. In doing so, they also continue the absurd debate regarding gaming and females. And they also forget that the gaming cultures of consoles and PCs have widely diverged.

I guess I set myself a lifetime goal... LOL To create the first definitive, serious, and totally unauthorized official history of gaming!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
wikipedia has a good read on video games. i enjoyed reading it when i found it and it covers most of what u want to read maybe. Console Wars

also here is more to read history of computer and video games

[edit on 20-11-2006 by elitegamer23]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I always found the Wikipedia article to be very lacking. It gives a great rundown of the history, but it fails to go into any real depth of what really made the industry: the consumer-developer dynamics, dynamics that differed from console to computers. While it does distance video games from computer games, it fails to tell the history of computer games in the process, except in some specific cases.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If at all possible, add the G4TV channel to your cable lineup. They've come a long way since they first started. They are always showing stuff on gaming history,and the people/companies that have help shape it.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spanishcaravan
If at all possible, add the G4TV channel to your cable lineup. They've come a long way since they first started. They are always showing stuff on gaming history,and the people/companies that have help shape it.

I already have G4TV and it is nowhere as good as it used to be. They'll show some good stuff every now and then, such as Icons, my favorite, but the channel is basically the new SpikeTV.

I guess it really is up to me to tell the best possible history of gaming!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I just watched the first part of an excellent documentary on video games. It was on A&E I think. It was on tv last week. I saw the rise of atari via pong and then the wife made me turn it off when it hit the home console section.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
luckily i was part of the history of gaming. i can remember my parents playing kaboom on the atari , when i was 5 or 6. i was pretty good at this game. joust on the atari was one of my first favorite games. i saw the colecovision and the lol smurfs back in the days. i lived young through the young life of atari and it was stupid and boring to me actually. i hated 99% of games in those days.
i can remember the first nintendo commercial and i can remember the first zelda commercial. i saw the rise or sony and the death of sega. i remember getting the sms and it was very disappointing compared to the nes. my buddy got the turbo graphix 16 when it came out and another got the 3do when it was released. one of my all time favorite games ever is alien vs predator on the atari jaguar. i could go on and on but i have tp and it is calling my name. pz i like your idea of a total complete history of gaming. there is so much i dont kno.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by elitegamer23]

top topics

join