It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recently saw and took pics of Sr-71 Blackbird

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Nothing special, pics are ok taken with a crappy crappy but thought some of you would like to see the pics?

These are taken at March Air Reserve Base

just as a topic of conversation do you think that there are any planes that go faster than the sr-71 as of now?

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It's a beautiful, sleek, powerful aircraft, isn't it? It's kinda the thing that has a fancy French word to describe it, which I cannot think of.

At Mach 6.85, I reckon the X-15 beats it, but he -15 is kind of more like a rocket with wing stubs bolted on. The X-43 goes at Mach 9.8, but no human in the cockpit rules that one out. Other than those two, the SR-71 is the fastest aircraft on this planet.

Could you just imagine sitting here ? It would be incredible.

If the A-12 was first drafted in about '61, it makes me wonder what other still-classified aircraft are out there, whizzing past at hyper-sonic speeds. Cmon U.S.A.F., fess up!

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
yea i meant manned aircraft.... i love the looks of the sr71 it just looks like it was built for speed so nice and smooth

[edit on 20-11-2006 by racerzeke]

i meant jet engine sorry since the x-15 is manned

[edit on 20-11-2006 by racerzeke]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Cool pictures racerzeke. Over last summer I got to see the A12 on the Intrepid, and the SR at the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian air & space museum @ Dulles
It was very awe inspiring to see in person.

Just imagine looking out the window at 80,000+ ft and having a view of the world like this

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
wow what a awesome view id love to see that... although it probably would be hard to look around with all the space gear and stuff

and thanks, the pictures arent that great they're from a disposable cam

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Over last summer I got to see the A12 on the Intrepid, and the SR at the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian air & space museum @ Dulles
It was very awe inspiring to see in person.

definitely awe inspiring. i've been to the dulles air and space at least 10 times now, and there is always something new or something i missed before. now you can see the space shuttle enterprise and one of the decommissioned concordes. i'll have to take some pics next time i'm there.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
IMO, the SR-71 is like a Playboy Bunny..sleek, sexy, built for speed and every man would love a ride...unfortunately, we are just left drooling at pics.

Lex

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Lexion, funny you said that it'd like a playboy bunny; because #978 was known as Rapid Rabbit and had the playboy bunny painted on the tail

take a look here

www.habu.org...

and here

www.habu.org...

snafu, here are a few pics I took at the dulles museum. Its hard to get a good pic with the lighting in there

One question I had about the A12/SR is what the max speed is? As far as I know its still classified, but I've heard figures from mach 3.3+ or 2,200+mph to mach 4+ and was hoping someone had some more info on this?

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
i really like that straight on shot of the bird i should of gotten one but the stupid little information sign would of been in the way

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Iremember standing next to an SR-71 at the space museum in Huntsville Alabama a few years back. It was awesome.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Does anyone have any info on why March ARB has a sr-71? I understand all the ones in washington, new york, and all those places but why is march so important to have one? Just wondering

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ooh nice. This is mine...

Hehe.

Have to confess, at the time I was a tad more interested in the fighters

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
they had a few fighters there that i took some pics of, some migs, sabres, f-14, f-18, f-4s

i was really impressed with the size of the icbm though pretty tall

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ah you're lucky.. F-14 is my favorite, but never seen it in person.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

thats the only pic i got of it, sorry

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I used to enjoy going down by the edge of the runway at Edwards and watching the SR-71 make touch and go landings. Full afterburner takeoff was always a good show, especially in the early evening.

Once, I had the opportunity to observe engine start from slightly behind and to the side of the exhaust outlet. Remarkable!

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I wish I was 30 years older so i could of actaully seen all these planes when they were still in service now i have to resort to pictures and retired planes

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thanks racerzeke, that's a good shot

Shame about her retirement, eh?

Edit: image fixed

[edit on 21/11/06 by SteveR]

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
yea it does suck, i wonder what will be next....

and your link didnt work for me... maybe its just firefox

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Lol Awesome Pictures you Guys Posted.

top topics

join